Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
27%
26%
20%
12%
1 - Worst
16%

Total votes: 141

battra
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:03 am
battra wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:35 pmOh, I enjoy it...

But it's like a medium well steak...

Could've been medium rare.
Your meat analogy just made me think of Kurt Loder's Pros and Cons review:

"The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking suggests several things. First, that the most important musical component of Pink Floyd is actually guitarist David Gilmour (whose latest solo album assumes new luster in comparison to this turkey)."
Huh.

I dunno how anyone could prefer About Face to Pros and Cons, but I also like Music From The Elder, so what do I know?
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

battra wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:38 pm I dunno how anyone could prefer About Face to Pros and Cons
About Face is a lot more fun a listen for me. It's not always high art but "All Lovers are Deranged" is just fun for me. "Murder" is a Top 5 Gilmour song for me. And the rest is just pleasant.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

battra wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:38 pm I like Music From The Elder, so what do I know?
Good point.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Kerry King wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:46 pm
battra wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:38 pm I like Music From The Elder, so what do I know?
Good point.
My favorite Slayer record is Diabolos En Musica as well.

That or Seasons....hard to say for certain.

I like unwanted toys.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:46 pm About Face is a lot more fun a listen for me. It's not always high art but "All Lovers are Deranged" is just fun for me. "Murder" is a Top 5 Gilmour song for me. And the rest is just pleasant.
I usually only listen to half of the songs on that album, but I listen to those 5 songs a lot more often than anything that other guy put out. It mixes well with Harper and Gilmour's Unknown Soldier.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

My oh my do I live this album.
It's my third favourite Floyd album (behind The Division Bell and The Wall) and it is just great.
From the first chords of The Post War Dream (borrowing - or stealing - the melody from John Prine's Sam Stone... but they were friends weren't they?), down to the final line of Two Suns In The Sunset (the line I get this username from: Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end), I see this album as an emotional ride that has never quite been topped. The Gunners Dream, The Fletcher Memorial Home and the title track never fail to bring tears to my eyes, The Heroes Return and Not Now John are two brilliant rockers, David's solo on Your Possible Pasts is just brilliant and the lyrics through out... just, woah.
10/10
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:20 am My oh my do I live this album.
It's my third favourite Floyd album (behind The Division Bell and The Wall) and it is just great.
From the first chords of The Post War Dream (borrowing - or stealing - the melody from John Prine's Sam Stone... but they were friends weren't they?), down to the final line of Two Suns In The Sunset (the line I get this username from: Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end), I see this album as an emotional ride that has never quite been topped. The Gunners Dream, The Fletcher Memorial Home and the title track never fail to bring tears to my eyes, The Heroes Return and Not Now John are two brilliant rockers, David's solo on Your Possible Pasts is just brilliant and the lyrics through out... just, woah.
10/10
With The Division Bell and The Final Cut in your top three Floyd albums, you certainly have quite an interesting viewpoint on the history of Floyd! :)
KwQ
Embryo
Embryo

Post by KwQ »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:20 am My oh my do I live this album.
10/10
How it can be your favourite album of Pink Floyd? You have there just a little participation of Gilmour and Mason. Also totall absence of Wright.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

KwQ wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:43 amHow it can be your favourite album of Pink Floyd? You have there just a little participation of Gilmour and Mason. Also totall absence of Wright.
I loved this Pink Floyd album before I knew who did what. \:D/
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

KwQ wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:43 am
10/10
How it can be your favourite album of Pink Floyd? You have there just a little participation of Gilmour and Mason. Also totall absence of Wright.
I feel that it is the best one lyrically, the music sits very well with me, and it has my favourite David Gilmour solo (the title track and The Fletcher Memorial Home are tied for my favourite). There's also a bit of sentimental value to me. I do understand that the lack of Rick does remove the 'Pink Floyd Sound' (heh heh, get it?) but I do still really love this album