Pink Floyd The Endless River

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this Album

5 - Best
12%
35%
26%
16%
1 - Worst
12%

Total votes: 43

theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd The Endless River

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:50 am I would've preferred an official, expanded version of Division Bell, but this is the same music that would've been on it.
I think that would have been best too. The Endless River being a companion second disc on a reissue of The Division Bell, then getting a standalone release later would have been a better move I reckon. Also if they'd done that maybe they would have given the lyrics for "Louder than Words" a miss - definitely not David and Polly's best work, that one.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:55 pm
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:50 am I would've preferred an official, expanded version of Division Bell, but this is the same music that would've been on it.
I think that would have been best too. The Endless River being a companion second disc on a reissue of The Division Bell, then getting a standalone release later would have been a better move I reckon. Also if they'd done that maybe they would have given the lyrics for "Louder than Words" a miss - definitely not David and Polly's best work, that one.
Well, "Louder than Words" was the one piece that had a clear song-form (which means it was probably one of the most developed tracks and in the running for TDB), so what should they have done with it? Have David solo all the way through it? Would've ruined the impact of the final section.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 pm what should they have done with it?
I can't pretend to have all the answers there. Not necessarily a six-minute guitar solo, but surely some interesting and moving parts could have been added in lieu of lyrics. Or maybe a better draft of the lyrics. I love Polly's lyrics for David and Pink Floyd, but "we bitch and we fight / curse each other on sight" in particular is pretty weak.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 pm what should they have done with it?
theaussiefloydian wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 pm I can't pretend to have all the answers there. Not necessarily a six-minute guitar solo, but surely some interesting and moving parts could have been added in lieu of lyrics. Or maybe a better draft of the lyrics. I love Polly's lyrics for David and Pink Floyd, but "we bitch and we fight / curse each other on sight" in particular is pretty weak.
It's actually "diss each other on sight", which is even more awkward.

If it was all part of one album, there wouldn't be a need for "Louder Than Words", and as I pointed out somewhere on here, the first few seconds are so similar to "High Hopes" that it seems intentional so that the tracks could be swapped for an alternate running order. I'd assume the music for "Louder Than Words" would've found a place somewhere as a shorter instrumental.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:03 pm
moodyblue wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:10 pmI'm treating it like a fine wine and will play it on the right occasion.
Don't put it off too long, or that occasion with be when Dave or Nick dies.

I recommend listening to one "side" at a time. If you were underwhelmed by "Louder Than Words", start with "Calling" and swap the last track with "High Hopes".
Yes that's a good point.
Mind you, the way I am going, I might put it off to the point I depart this mortal coil before I myself even hear it!

That's an interesting suggestion you make.
I actually liked 'Louder Than Words' to be honest.
I was going to play it during lockdown but just did not get around to doing what I intended for some reason.

The thing is with music is it has a tendency to set its place on your time line of life. Certain albums or tracks I can play and they instantly transport me back to that moment in time. That's the main reason I did not listen to this album at the time of its release.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

moodyblue wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:29 am The thing is with music is it has a tendency to set its place on your time line of life. Certain albums or tracks I can play and they instantly transport me back to that moment in time. That's the main reason I did not listen to this album at the time of its release.
Interesting, though in my case I get blasted back to high school listening to The Endless River, to a baby faced aussiefloydian being over the moon to listen to the only Pink Floyd album to be released in my lifetime.
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 pm If it was all part of one album, there wouldn't be a need for "Louder Than Words", and as I pointed out somewhere on here, the first few seconds are so similar to "High Hopes" that it seems intentional so that the tracks could be swapped for an alternate running order. I'd assume the music for "Louder Than Words" would've found a place somewhere as a shorter instrumental.
In a way that's what I did with my Down to Earth fan edit. I used the intro from "Louder than Words", then on the first piano chord edited to "Rick's Theme" from The Later Years. It's not a perfect edit, but it's my best guess as to what that would have looked like in a world where "Louder than Words" didn't get lyrics.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Am I alone in thinking there's got to be way more unreleased material locked up somewheres?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Yep the vaults are not empty
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

battra wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:35 pm Am I alone in thinking there's got to be way more unreleased material locked up somewheres?
Given that there's no official release of La Carrera Panamericana for example, there has to be so much more sitting in the vaults.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

battra wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:35 pm Am I alone in thinking there's got to be way more unreleased material locked up somewheres?
If it is more of Endless River style stuff then it should better remain locked away in the vaults.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Yucateco wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:23 am If it is more of Endless River style stuff then it should better remain locked away in the vaults.
You know you'd buy it anyway.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:00 pm
Yucateco wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:23 am If it is more of Endless River style stuff then it should better remain locked away in the vaults.
You know you'd buy it anyway.
So true unfortunately :lol:
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:48 pm
Given that there's no official release of La Carrera Panamericana for example, there has to be so much more sitting in the vaults.
Atlanta 87 footage as well 19th October 1994 the full rehearsal from 20th October Foxboro MTV live footage 1994 QVC Miami pro shot footage from the opening night. Scott Pages vault videos from 87-89. The complete KQED footage with AD, Pompeii on Blu-Ray

This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUTyIMsMlM

and the holy grail footage is in Roger's vault The Wall live footage.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

azza200 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:32 pm and the holy grail footage is in Roger's vault The Wall live footage.
Why he refuses to release that I'll never understand. Sure it's pretty rough by their descriptions, but that clip of "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" that's been floating about looks pretty good to me.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:20 pm
azza200 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:32 pm and the holy grail footage is in Roger's vault The Wall live footage.
Why he refuses to release that I'll never understand. Sure it's pretty rough by their descriptions, but that clip of "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" that's been floating about looks pretty good to me.
and dont forget he showed his band the full show prior too his Wall show. Which must be from the same source and edit as that video clip