Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S (KAOS)

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
15%
22%
20%
16%
1 - Worst
27%

Total votes: 74

Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Re: Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S (KAOS)

Post by Vegetable Layne »

mosespa wrote: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:06 am Project KAOS:

1. Get Back To Radio

2. Radio Waves (extended version)

3. Who Needs Information

4. Folded Flags

5. Me Or Him

6. Towers Of Faith

7. The Powers That Be

8. Going To Live In L.A.

9. The Fish Report With A Beat

10. Sunset Strip

11. Home

12. Four Minutes

13. The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)

14. Pipes And Drums

It's really very well-done, imo.
This one gets a 4,5/5. The regular album just 3/5. That's how much of an improvement Folded Flags is.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

mosespa wrote: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pmI've got that "Project KAOS" thing, ....and I honestly listen to that more often than the original album.
"Project KAOS" is FUCKING MASTERPIECE!
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

“ And I dislike the backing vocals on 'The Tide Is Turning.”

Exactly! They sound so strange, without them or diffent vocals would be better.

This album is still great!

Who Needs Information, the Powers that Be, Me or Him and Home are four of the best songs Roger ever wrote!
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

Djgilmour wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:57 am Who Needs Information, the Powers that Be, Me or Him and Home are four of the best songs Roger ever wrote!
I agree with those songs but unfortunately the record sounds very dated now. I think one of the best thing about Pink Floyd is their music transcended the time period they were made. Radio KAOS sound super 80s I’d say the sax in Momentary Lapse similarly dates it whereas Amused to Death has more of that timeless feel.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

I love the album, but I don't like how 80's pop the some of the songs are. Unlike everything else Roger has written, this album has aged. I'm assuming the reason that it's very pop is because they are songs for Radio KAOS, too be played over the radio. But other than that, it's great. The final three songs (Home, Four Minutes and The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)) are amazing. But I, myself, prefer the version he did in 1990 for The Wall.

Wouldn't it be interesting if he did a live concert where he played Four Minutes, but instead of it not really being a nuclear strike (shown through Tide Is Turning), he played Two Suns In The Sunset? :shock:
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

There is one song, that I always skip on this album and that is 4 minutes.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

I’ve recently been listening to Roger’s live performances from this tour in 1987 and I must admit it’s reignited my love for the theme and the album. As mentioned above, particularly Home, Four Minutes and The Tide is Turning.

I really like the various calls from the hall that took place. For those of you that aren’t aware of the concept: a phone booth was placed in the auditorium and calls were made to Jim Ladd and during the intermission to Roger Waters himself. Numerous times when asked he mentioned recording in Nassau with the Bleeding Hearts Band at some time in early ‘87 to create a sequel album for KAOS featuring the likes of Molly’s Song, Get Back to Radio and others. He even called the album “Amused to Death”, but as we know that eventual album wasn’t really connected at all to KAOS.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

I am glad that Molly and Get Back to Radio were not on Amused to Death.
Those are two really weak songs.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

From what I can gather it sounded like the potential “sequel” as he often referred to it as in these parts of the KAOS show would’ve been released in early ‘88 so might’ve been very differently musically and much nearer the 80s vibe that KAOS had. It could possibly have featured more singing by Paul Carrack. Who knows?

Roger also mentioned about the possibility of both releasing a concert film of the tour and even making a theatrical film version of Billy’s story.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Just gave this another listen last night. Brilliant album, loved every second of it.
Probably the worst of Roger's solo career, but that's just praise for his other albums considering how much I loved Radio K.A.O.S.
Lyrics, of course, are brilliant, yet some lyrics are a little corny (*cough cough* Four Minutes *cough*).
The Tide Is Turning is brilliant as ever, but I think, and I reckon most would agree, that the version off his 1990 performance of The Wall was a better vision for The Tide Is Turning.
Overall, the albums probably a 4/5 from me.
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

Radio KAOS is the first time that Waters did something totally "unFloyd". Pros and Cons is also a fantastic album but you can tell that it is related to the Wall. Amused to Death he tries too much to be Floyd, and particularly Beck is doing his best (worst) Gilmour impression. ITTLWRW cuts out the Gilmour act completely and automatically becomes a more legitimate Floyd album.

But KAOS is where Rogers really steps out of the ring with fearless daring.

The album starts with a bang, gradually fading towards a more mellow mood at the end of the disc. The energy in the first song is off the charts. It is one of the few songs where I can not resist dancing. It's like I'm drawing direct energy from it. I can think of no Floyd song with this quality. Brick in the Wall pops fairly well but not to this extent.

Who Needs Information is also a top notch song. A perfect effort.

Me or Him feels primal. As if Waters is tapping into the soul of ancient man. Marvelous tune.

The Powers To Be is another flawless rock song.

Sunset Strip is the only song which feels like a dud. Not bad but not great either.

Home, great effort.

4 Minutes, magical song.

The Tide Is Turning. This probably should be singled out as the best song on the album. This is godly. Divinely inspired. To think that Waters just whipped this up because his producer felt he needed an uplifting song to close out the album. You listen to this and you know it is as good as anything Floyd has ever done. Maybe even better!

This is the album that should be on every greatest albums of all time list, instead it is more frequently mentioned among the worst. But that's to be expected, because in this world; everything rare for the rare.

And this is a rare pleasure indeed. Rejoice!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:41 pm Radio KAOS is the first time that Waters did something totally "unFloyd". Pros and Cons is also a fantastic album but you can tell that it is related to the Wall. Amused to Death he tries too much to be Floyd, and particularly Beck is doing his best (worst) Gilmour impression. ITTLWRW cuts out the Gilmour act completely and automatically becomes a more legitimate Floyd album.

But KAOS is where Rogers really steps out of the ring with fearless daring.

The album starts with a bang, gradually fading towards a more mellow mood at the end of the disc. The energy in the first song is off the charts. It is one of the few songs where I can not resist dancing. It's like I'm drawing direct energy from it. I can think of no Floyd song with this quality. Brick in the Wall pops fairly well but not to this extent.

Who Needs Information is also a top notch song. A perfect effort.

Me or Him feels primal. As if Waters is tapping into the soul of ancient man. Marvelous tune.

The Powers To Be is another flawless rock song.

Sunset Strip is the only song which feels like a dud. Not bad but not great either.

Home, great effort.

4 Minutes, magical song.

The Tide Is Turning. This probably should be singled out as the best song on the album. This is godly. Divinely inspired. To think that Waters just whipped this up because his producer felt he needed an uplifting song to close out the album. You listen to this and you know it is as good as anything Floyd has ever done. Maybe even better!

This is the album that should be on every greatest albums of all time list, instead it is more frequently mentioned among the worst. But that's to be expected, because in this world; everything rare for the rare.

And this is a rare pleasure indeed. Rejoice!
Wow, this must be the most positive RADIO Kaos review on the whole internet! :D
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Even Roger Waters hate this album now: ''Between Ian Ritchie(co-producer) and myself, we really fucked that record up. We tried too hard to make it sound modern. I allowed myself to get pushed down roads that were uncomfortable for me
I should never have made that record".
DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

Keith Richards thinks It's Only Rock N Roll is their worst album. It's funny because it's one of their best.

It's often like that. When Roger Waters was asked what song he would have liked to have made, he said Powderfinger by Neil Young. To me that's a strange answer because Roger has made dozens and dozens of songs that are far better than that song.

Some of my favorite movie directors have a taste in film that I think is shit! How can you like that and be inspired to make this I always ask myself. :D
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

DaveSamsonBell wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:38 am When Roger Waters was asked what song he would have liked to have made, he said Powderfinger by Neil Young. To me that's a strange answer because Roger has made dozens and dozens of songs that are far better than that song.
For me it is not that strange. Roger is an old man now, and his taste has obviously changed over time. Now, he likes a slow songs with a lots of texts and a minimum of music in it. Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and Neil Young are his favorite artists now. Roger the Rock hero is gone forever. Have you listened to this Dark Side REDUX? Well, there is more recitation than music on it.