Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:18 pm It was his band!
Sounds like he should've started out as a solo artist from day one and saved everyone a lot of grief.
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

I find both Waters and Gilmour are childish in this. I can't imagine why, for example, the 1982 interview refer to Gilmours remake of Money? If Waters brought it up to Gilmour, surely that camp would have mentioned it?

Lots of bickering. Like, all note references are absolutely stuff we know. All Floydians. And I get why Dave probably vetoed it - it's all "Roger this and that" but even so, all that could have been done is mention Dave's contributions?

I dunno. It's all childish and disappointing, and to think we have been waiting for such a long time for this remix for THAT is laughable.

Kudos to Nick for being the grown up in the room.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

If Roger's memoirs are coming out any time soon, it's a master marketing stroke by him. Other than that, there's nothing new to be seen here. The pair of them have been bickering openly for well over 30 years now and it's actually pretty boring. Anybody who has an interest in Pink Floyd will already have a general idea of what has been going on for years and will have their own minds made up. It's new releases/mixes the fans want, not another round of handbags from the grumpy old pensioners. I feel sorry for Nick Mason, caught up in the middle of all of this. My guess is that he's much closer to Roger these days but he's still being put in an awkward position.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

There's a point where one's talent no longer matters because they are such an insufferable human being. Waters' universal message is lost when he can't even clean up his own backyard. If he considers pink floyd HIS band then what happened to it is his fault. I can't help but think Gilmour would have been easy enough to get along with if Waters had possessed a bit more humility. They've been very fortunate in some ways and it's a shame they can't appreciate each other more.

Those liner notes do linger over Waters a little too much. The things Waters wants credit for, the pig, the nuclear family, the lyrics, the album design, none of it even matters without great music.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

I've just come from reading the thing on Waters' website and it seems to me he's only disappeared further up his own ass in his old age.
I do have to question Gilmour's vetoing of the release because of the liner notes, though I imagine it might be because they seem to frame the album as completely Waters' creation (I mean obviously he wrote all the lyrics but I don't think I saw much in those notes about the others and what they did). However the sheer amount of anger in his post on his page is just striking, and I daresay it's that sort of attitude that's making Gilmour not really want to talk to him. It's not the most grown up reaction to such anger but it's a completely understandable one.
And Waters' claim that Gilmour's trying to take credit for the "Money" tape loop is a) bloody childish in its phrasing and b) a bad faith argument. The quote he lists seems more like Gilmour doing his best to explain how tapes are used for effects in music in general, using the "Money" loop as an example.
Also this business about the "Gilmour/Samson camp" really sounds to me like Waters looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one...
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I've met some great people on here, and the music thrilled me a few decades ago.
But I just can't give either of them any more money in future! :lol:
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

This is a good post and read which got posted on the SH forum.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... t-27010471
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 am..none of it even matters without great music.
Oh well, Waters himself wrote a music for 50-60% Pink Floyd songs. Listen just to various demos and you can see.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

azza200 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:51 am This is a good post and read which got posted on the SH forum.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... t-27010471
Perhaps Roger's memoirs will have to go through a thorough process of fact checking before being published. Otherwise there could be enough material for a lifetime of analysis by fans to argue about!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

The libelous material taken out, against Roger's will, would make for a good read too :lol:
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:57 amWaters himself wrote a music for 50-60% Pink Floyd songs. Listen just to various demos and you can see.
Roger's demos are "unlistenable."
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:14 amRoger's demos are "unlistenable."
Maybe, but it was still he who wrote 'basic' music for most of Pink Floyd songs. David and Rick polished a songs later. And add some new bits and ideas.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:43 am Maybe, but it was still he who wrote 'basic' music for most of Pink Floyd songs. David and Rick polished a songs later. And add some new bits and ideas.
You've said this before. And I've said this before: the majority of songs solely written by Roger are the least-known and least-loved Pink Floyd songs.

Prior to The Wall, he wrote the 'basic' music for 25 songs.

There were another 54 songs where Roger received a co-writing credit (in most cases just for the lyrics) or no credit at all.

(69 if we count Barrett's contributions.)

Please revise your comment to say "it was still he who wrote 'basic' music for 46% of Pink Floyd songs."

If you want to count The Wall and The Final Cut, then we also need to count A Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Division Bell, and The Endless River.
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

Those liner notes suck- basically felating Rogers massive ego. Who fucking cares whose idea the pig inflatable was? Not to mention, Gilmour played most of the bass and guitar on Animals- Gilmour wrote the bass lines for P3DO. Funny how he leaves that bit out. What a sad old man. He's all alone, I wonder if he's dying of cancer...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I saved this off a forum yesterday but cannot remember which website it was to credit. Its the interview Roger is referring to.

Here...
musician.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.