Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:25 pmSounds like he should've started out as a solo artist from day one..
In that case, there would never have been the Pink Floyd. And David Gilmour would then remain for all time a member of the Joker’s Wild. Which were known only in Cambridge and surrounding area. Dave should be really grateful to Roger.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:57 pmDave should be really grateful to Roger.
And vice versa! He didn't even like their music when he joined.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:01 pm He didn't even like their music when he joined.
Gilmour didn't liked what he saw and heard when he was once at early Pink Floyd show. At a time when Syd B. still was a member of the band. I wouldn’t like also a music of a band in which the lead guitarist and singer is standing on stage completely stoned strumming the one note the whole fucking show.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:57 pmIn that case, there would never have been the Pink Floyd. And David Gilmour would then remain for all time a member of the Joker’s Wild. Which were known only in Cambridge and surrounding area.
This is pretty funny considering they were quite popular in that area, which is essentially the campus of one of the oldest, largest, and most expensive universities in the world. In the short period they were together, they played with Paul Simon, opened for The Animals, and held a summer-long residency in Spain. Most of its members were respectable, affluent kids that certainly weren't going to turn down becoming a doctor or a scientist to be full-time musicians, and the ones that did ended up in Foreigner, Bad Company, Small Faces, Peter Frampton's Camel, Roxy Music, Cochise, Quiver, and even Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Pink Floyd weren't well-known outside of a handful of clubs in London, but they put out a record and went on tour - which did not go well. When they returned from their aborted American tour, that club scene was already dwindling, and when they played outside of London, they had beer poured on them and were beaten up. Rick even quit at one point. Everyone involved was willing to do whatever they had to hang onto their record contract, even if it meant bringing in someone good.

If Pink Floyd hadn't offered him a job, some other successful band would have. If Gilmour hadn't accepted, Pink Floyd would be less famous than Strawberry Alarm Clock.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

space triangle wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:57 pm
ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:25 pmSounds like he should've started out as a solo artist from day one..
In that case, there would never have been the Pink Floyd. And David Gilmour would then remain for all time a member of the Joker’s Wild. Which were known only in Cambridge and surrounding area. Dave should be really grateful to Roger.
he probably was back in the early days when the band was functioning as a band pre-dark side David didnt make Roger quit did he Roger did that on his ego trip at the time. Then he belittled David and the others in the press for carrying on the band even though he decided too quit. A lot happened between David being asked too join the band and Roger quitting and he lawsuits which failed. David over the years has praised Roger and thanked him loads of times
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 pm I saved this off a forum yesterday but cannot remember which website it was to credit. Its the interview Roger is referring to.
Yeah reading this here it seems even more facetious of Waters to claim that Gilmour is trying to steal credit for the "Money" tape loop. It looks more like he's implying that a lot of it was Alan Parsons' work, which I wouldn't be too surprised by.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:53 pm... and when they played outside of London, they had beer poured on them and were beaten up.
Well, they refused to play 'See Emily Play' live at their shows. :smt102

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:53 pmIf Gilmour hadn't accepted, Pink Floyd would be less famous than Strawberry Alarm Clock.
The band would wait for the first opportunity on Jeff Beck to be free and hire him. He was certainly their first choice.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:47 pmThe band would wait for the first opportunity on Jeff Beck to be free and hire him. He was certainly their first choice.
They never asked. He also jumped from one lineup to the next, so I doubt he would've stuck around for more than one album. Just imagine: all of Saucerful of Secrets sounding like "Biding My Time".
https://youtu.be/Ri2zJlbYy6o
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:57 pm
space triangle wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:47 pm Jeff Beck was certainly their first choice.
They never asked.
Exactly that. Nick Mason says in Inside Out that they considered Jeff Beck, but ultimately asked Gilmour instead.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

Do we really need a new mix of Animals? Roger screwed with Amused to Death and I don’t think it was for the better.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Gslatner wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:55 pm Do we really need a new mix of Animals? Roger screwed with Amused to Death and I don’t think it was for the better.
I think it could be interesting, though I am concerned the album might lose some of its "bite" in the remix. That said I've been really impressed with some of the more recent remix projects done by my favourite bands - the new Beatles mixes are works of great clarity, and what I've heard so far of the remix of Muse's Origin of Symmetry is pretty awesome so I have my hopes that this Animals release will be of the same calibre.
It might also be worth doing just for the outro of "Sheep" - I love that outro but it seems significantly louder than the rest of the album, which can be a little bit distracting (might be a master issue though? Not entirely certain).
zzottt
Embryo
Embryo

Post by zzottt »

if anything... this whole spat makes me feel like a teenager again

I guess this bickering will never end. I bet Roger hates Polly because she wrote the lyrics about the fighting between them.
whackystrings
Axe
Axe

Post by whackystrings »

Let us consider that DG has been pretty gracious in filmed interviews in recent times about giving Roger his due, and admitting Waters was right in certain instances, even when it pushes credit away from DG. Like the VCS sequence in On The Run, and giving into the argument that Raving And Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy were not suitable for inclusion on WYWH. Yes, back in the 80s, DG was really took sharp blows to Waters. I cannot help but think that there is an underlying jealousy or feeling of entitlement to Waters where DG has enjoyed a steady run of output and success since 1987. DG was a target of Waters ever since at least 1982 with TFC's production. After all these years of mellowing out by both of them it is pathetic to see Waters spew his poison once again. I am not saying who is right or wrong, but Waters seems unhinged and it is not a good look.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

whackystrings wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:34 am Let us consider that DG has been pretty gracious in filmed interviews in recent times about giving Roger his due, and admitting Waters was right in certain instances, even when it pushes credit away from DG.
Exactly. This all feels like it has a lot less to do with a massive Gilmour cover up conspiracy like Waters all but says on the web page and a lot more like Waters being a spiteful old man. Makes me wonder if he's still mad about the "Roger is a dog in a manger and I'm going to fight him" quote from '85.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

space triangle wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:57 am
Kerry King wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 am..none of it even matters without great music.
Oh well, Waters himself wrote a music for 50-60% Pink Floyd songs. Listen just to various demos and you can see.
I know this. The songs required embellishment to make them special. Waters plunking on an acoustic singing Welcome To The Machine wouldn't cut it.

Waters basically fired Storm for neglecting to credit him with the silly album design. Meanwhile, as lurkingfear pointed out, Gilmour played the beautiful fretless bass on Pigs, a highlight of the album, and took no official credit. Waters was winning bass polls that year!
Humility goes a long way. I don't care, anymore, that Waters wrote the songs. I don't care that he added inflatables.