Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:11 am Meanwhile, Gilmour played the beautiful fretless bass on Pigs, a highlight of the album, and took no official credit.
Not to nitpick, but that particular song uses a fretted Precision bass, albeit with a big Gibson 'mudbucker' installed. He did play fretless bass on "Fat Old Sun", "Hey You", "On the Turning Away", "Poles Apart", "Coming Bass to Life", and "High Hopes".
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ Oh yeah? Always thought it was a fretless.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:31 am ^ Oh yeah? Always thought it was a fretless.
Roger has managed to learn the part well enough to make it a highlight of his shows, and uses a regular P-bass for it - not the same one that he uses for the rest of the shows, for some reason, but it's no different than his others. If we found out that he's been miming it all along, it would not surprise me in the least. Instruments are just stage props to him.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ So he's playing Gilmour's bass part from the album? That's interesting. I can't be bothered to check it out.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:50 am ^ So he's playing Gilmour's bass part from the album? That's interesting. I can't be bothered to check it out.
Yep. Snowy White played the bass for that song on the original tour. Roger played it on the Us+Them tour, so I had assumed he had to learn it at the ripe old age of 74 - but I recently saw footage of him playing it on the KAOS tour...which means he had to sit down and figure it out in between filing lawsuits! On both tours, it was a big spotlight moment for him. It's not a particularly difficult solo, like many of Dave's guitar parts - YouTube is full of pubescent girls that can copy them perfectly. I'm sure Roger played many other basslines that Dave originally recorded, but this just says a lot about his ego.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

^ I knew about Snowy, of course. Waters on rhythm guitar.
The Kaos version of Pigs was an extremely abridged version. It was an an excuse for the bass intro. Not that Andy Fairweather Low was going to pull it off anyway. Maybe Mel Collins.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:17 pmExactly that. Nick Mason says in Inside Out that they considered Jeff Beck, but ultimately asked Gilmour instead.
Richard Wright said this in interview for Zig Zag music newspaper 1974:

"You probably won't know this, but when Syd (Syd Barrett) left Pink Floyd we asked Jeff Beck to join us, he was our first choice. He was doing well at the time, so he turned us down."

Why everyone denies it now 4-5 decades later, I don’t know. :smt102
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

space triangle wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:18 am Why everyone denies it now 4-5 decades later, I don’t know. :smt102
Could be that Mason happened to misremember it? I know in the book he says it was him who was the first to talk to Gilmour so maybe one of the other guys spoke to Beck and he didn't remember when he was writing the book.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

azza200 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:51 am This is a good post and read which got posted on the SH forum.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... t-27010471
Thanks, that spared me reposting it here O:)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:26 amCould be that Mason happened to misremember it? I know in the book he says it was him who was the first to talk to Gilmour so maybe one of the other guys spoke to Beck and he didn't remember when he was writing the book.
I guess, everything is possible.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:26 am Could be that Mason happened to misremember it? I know in the book he says it was him who was the first to talk to Gilmour so maybe one of the other guys spoke to Beck and he didn't remember when he was writing the book.
Jeff Beck said he was never asked, and didn't know they considered him until 40 years later.

Rick also told that story after he released Broken China, and said the same thing happened again on that album.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

space triangle wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:18 am Richard Wright said this in interview for Zig Zag music newspaper 1974:

"You probably won't know this, but when Syd (Syd Barrett) left Pink Floyd we asked Jeff Beck to join us, he was our first choice. He was doing well at the time, so he turned us down."
Your quote is actually from "Rick Wright's Record Collection", from 1996:

"As far as rock guitarists go he’s got to be my all-time hero. He started as a blues guitarist just like Clapton, but he’s investigated the possibilities of the instrument much more. You probably won’t know this, but when Syd left Pink Floyd we actually asked Jeff Beck to join, he was our first choice. He was doing OK at the time so he turned us down. There’s one track on Guitar Shop called 'Where Were You?' that’s just this beautiful, melodic guitar sequence. I loved it so much that I took that feel for an instrumental called 'Sweet July' on my new solo album. I wanted Beck to play on it but he turned me down. Again."
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:30 am
Your quote is actually from "Rick Wright's Record Collection", from 1996:

"As far as rock guitarists go he’s got to be my all-time hero. He started as a blues guitarist just like Clapton, but he’s investigated the possibilities of the instrument much more. You probably won’t know this, but when Syd left Pink Floyd we actually asked Jeff Beck to join, he was our first choice. He was doing OK at the time so he turned us down. There’s one track on Guitar Shop called 'Where Were You?' that’s just this beautiful, melodic guitar sequence. I loved it so much that I took that feel for an instrumental called 'Sweet July' on my new solo album. I wanted Beck to play on it but he turned me down. Again."
You are right. It was from 1996. :smt023
penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Post by penguinzzz »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:11 am Waters basically fired Storm for neglecting to credit him with the silly album design. Meanwhile, as lurkingfear pointed out, Gilmour played the beautiful fretless bass on Pigs, a highlight of the album, and took no official credit. Waters was winning bass polls that year!
Humility goes a long way. I don't care, anymore, that Waters wrote the songs. I don't care that he added inflatables.
Of course the only 'bass polls' won by Waters in that or any other year were the ones in Gilmour's imagination.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

penguinzzz wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:32 pmOf course the only 'bass polls' won by Waters in that or any other year were the ones in Gilmour's imagination.
You are right.

NME Awards 1976 - Best Bassist: Paul McCartney
NME Awards 1977 - Best Bassist: Jaco Pastorius
NME Awards 1978 - Best Bassist: Jean Jacques Burnel
NME Awards 1979 - Best Bassist: Bruce Foxton
NME Awards 1980 - Best Bassist: Bruce Foxton