Arnold Layne Norman Smith version

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Arnold Lane
Embryo
Embryo

Arnold Layne Norman Smith version

Post by Arnold Lane »

Was reading some of Norman Smiths stuff with him talking about Syd . In it he says he recorded another version of Arnold Layne because he wasnt into the Joe Boyd recording . He also says he released it . I quote

“I saw a couple of weaknesses in that, to be honest with you,” Smith maintains. “And I recorded ‘Arnold Layne’ with them again, and I released it on an EP. My version is on that. They had two releases of that.”

So where is this Smith version ? Has anyone heard it because iv searched hard and cant find it
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arnold Layne Norman Smith version

Post by Keith Jordan »

Is this something to do with it....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163640376167
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Arnold Lane wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:26 pm “And I recorded ‘Arnold Layne’ with them again, and I released it on an EP.
Contemporary EPs generally contain four or five tracks. So, what other Pink Floyd songs(or maybe not only Pink Floyd's) could possibly be found on that EP?
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I believe this is that EP. Contains the four songs and is issued 1967:

1. Scarecrow
2. Arnold Layne
3. Candy and a currant bun
4. See Emily Play

twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:30 pm Is this something to do with it....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163640376167
That looks like a standard DB 8156 albeit in a different sleeve ... seems rather overpriced to me.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

twcc wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:14 pm That looks like a standard DB 8156 albeit in a different sleeve ... seems rather overpriced to me.
I should think so. 950 pounds for a 1967 single? Give me a break. I could see it being worth a fair bit given that it's (allegedly) in pretty good nick, but 950 pounds? C'mon.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Arnold Lane wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:26 pm“And I recorded ‘Arnold Layne’ with them again, and I released it on an EP. My version is on that. They had two releases of that.”
A RELEASED alternate recording of 'Arnold Layne'? Still undiscovered, since 1967? :shock:
I guess that must be a very, very, very rare EP! Maybe in a box on Mason's legendary attic.

If such a version of 'Arnold Layne' exists/existed, I guess it must be unreleased.
Arnold Lane
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Arnold Lane »

Wolfpack wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:34 am
Arnold Lane wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:26 pm“And I recorded ‘Arnold Layne’ with them again, and I released it on an EP. My version is on that. They had two releases of that.”
A RELEASED alternate recording of 'Arnold Layne'? Still undiscovered, since 1967? :shock:
I guess that must be a very, very, very rare EP! Maybe in a box on Mason's legendary attic.

If such a version of 'Arnold Layne' exists/existed, I guess it must be unreleased.
I think after many hours searching iv found it and listened to it . Its buried on a 2 hour long mix of Floyd songs .
It isn't explicitly stated that it's the norm Smith version but it's defo a different version and it's defo Syd singing so unless there's a 3rd version this must be it . The vocals sound a bit different and I'm sure the organ part is missing . Also has the other version of candy and a currant bun . The sound quality wasn't great but interesting all the same .
Also while searching found a live recording of Arnold Layne from Denmark . Sound quality is poor , vocals are barely audible and iv no idea if its legit but the guitar sounds very Syd , the little bit of vocals you occasionally make out sound very Syd and its way different to the studio version
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Arnold Lane wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:12 pmI think after many hours searching iv found it and listened to it . Its buried on a 2 hour long mix of Floyd songs .
Where is it? Do you have a link?
It must be a very different take, as Smith describes.

So far, I only know one studio version of 'Arnold Layne'.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Would they have recorded a BBC version, like so many others have done?
DrHypnotic
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DrHypnotic »

There was a bootleg of that Spanish EP about 10 years ago or so.