Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
10%
21%
28%
20%
1- Worst
21%

Total votes: 143

ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

battra wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 pmIt's always interesting to hear you try to turn anything into a dig on Roger. :)
I was merely pointing out that Roger has single-handedly disproven his own argument.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Why does the thread for pink floyd's worst album have the most pages? Ugh. And here I am helping it along...
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Kerry King wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:27 am Why does the thread for pink floyd's worst album have the most pages? Ugh. And here I am helping it along...
Endless River only has 3 pages <ii>
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Yucateco wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:16 am
Kerry King wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:27 am Why does the thread for pink floyd's worst album have the most pages? Ugh. And here I am helping it along...
Endless River only has 3 pages <ii>
I was more tempted to make an Ummagumma joke really but then I remembered I actually like that album (oof me :lol: )
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Kerry King wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:12 amIt's much easier to hear the difference between AMLOR and DSOTM. AMLOR is almost completely devoid of soul. And I don't mean the music genre. The cover art is silly, too. The lyrics are annoyingly subpar. Gilmour's voice and guitar, although drowning in horrible 1980s digital frosting, would be the saving grace if he'd only had more than one great song to go with it.
Not sure how often I've now said this but I really like playing the AMLOR songs on the piano. They have enough substance to stand up reduced to the bare bones. I can't say the same thing about some of the stuff on TDB.

Also, the remixed version of Delicate Sound of Thunder has become my go-to version of the AMLOR songs; it's the complete set (even if somewhat out of order) and the songs really hold their own against the classics in that setting.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

For me, one of the biggest problems with AMLOR is that it seems to be trying to show off every technical trick that was cutting edge at the time...which dates it. All that swampy 80's reverb (which is different from the reverb that they used to swamp everything in) is so all-pervasive that it even seems to remain after it's been turned down.

The synth sounds are still very "of the moment in '86," and for me, the biggest issue with AMLOR is something that I heard Gilmour say about recording on the MacIntosh meaning that you could use your demos as masters; and I do think that was done a lot on this album. The whole thing, every single piece would have benefitted from someone looking up and going "hang on; are we just embellishing a demo? Let's take it back down to zero and do it right."
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

^ He's often used elements from his demos on the final version, and he kept updating his home studio and portable equipment because of that. Stuff he recorded at home in '77 ended up on The Unknown Soldier and "Signs of Life", and later demos recorded on handheld devices were used on On An Island and Rattle That Lock. He has complained that it's sometimes difficult to improve upon the first take, and the tape wasn't always rolling for that.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

mosespa wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:26 am For me, one of the biggest problems with AMLOR is that it seems to be trying to show off every technical trick that was cutting edge at the time...which dates it.
Exactly - that and the lack of live drum recording. I think if it had been produced along the lines of The Division Bell or like the new mix from The Later Years, it would have been recieved a lot better than it was.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:07 pm ^ He's often used elements from his demos on the final version, and he kept updating his home studio and portable equipment because of that. Stuff he recorded at home in '77 ended up on The Unknown Soldier and "Signs of Life", and later demos recorded on handheld devices were used on On An Island and Rattle That Lock. He has complained that it's sometimes difficult to improve upon the first take, and the tape wasn't always rolling for that.
True as all of that may be, there's still a difference in approach between a demo recording and a final recording.

AMLOR feels like demos. Expensively over-produced demos; but demos, nevertheless.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

mosespa wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:51 am AMLOR feels like demos. Expensively over-produced demos; but demos, nevertheless.
That's a fair assessment, and squares nicely with the fact that all of the songs on it sound far better on Delicate Sound of Thunder.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

mosespa wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:51 am
True as all of that may be, there's still a difference in approach between a demo recording and a final recording.

AMLOR feels like demos. Expensively over-produced demos; but demos, nevertheless.
I’d say that the overproduced demo label fits rather for Endless River. With AMLOR they at least still bothered to turn the demos into complete songs, not just a series of ideas/intros.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

A Momentary Lapse of Reason...

Now one of the two albums I don't have.

Also, one I really truly love. I was gonna buy a repress of it at Barnes and Noble, but, it wasn't a part of the vinyl sale.

(I do have it on CD, but I only count my vinyl these days.)
Vegetable Layne
Axe
Axe

Post by Vegetable Layne »

I can't overstate just how much I've come to love the 2019 remake/remix. Its stupendous and really wish something like this had been released in 1987. This a great rendition to the album, honestly.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

this album grows worse and worse in me with time. Can't stand post-Wall PF anymore.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Since my last post on this topic, I have acquired both the 2019 re-release and the original pressing.

Holy damn....this OG press sounds amazing.

Gonna go an A to B on this when I have the time.