Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

Post by Wolfpack »

If we're going off topic about "which one's Pink", I'd just say 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'.
That's my 'The Dark Side of the Moon'!
Who cares about Waters and/or Gilmour... :twisted:

My favorite 'Animals' version?
Imagine Barrett writing the five tracks:
'Effervescing Elephant (part one)', 'Rats', 'Birdy Hop', 'Octopus', 'Effervescing Elephant (part two)'. [-D-]
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Wolfpack wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:43 pm My favorite 'Animals' version?
Imagine Barrett writing the five tracks:
'Effervescing Elephant (part one)', 'Rats', 'Birdy Hop', 'Octopus', 'Effervescing Elephant (part two)'. [-D-]
No "Wolfpack", Wolfpack? You guys need to cut back on the weed, fer chrissake.
Clumsyeugene
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Clumsyeugene »

Apparently still on the way... but has precipitated another listen! :D
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:39 pm I experience a similar queasiness when anyone suggests that, since I like Pink Floyd, I'll love Rush.
Not really found anything to get me into Grateful Dead either, but I'm a big Rush fan. That said, both bands are pretty dissimilar - only the middle section of the All The World's a Stage version of "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" (very much 1968-1970 type of Floyd sounding) and the guitar solo in "Marathon" really remind me of Floyd. So while both bands are about equal in my estimation, I wouldn't make the suggestion you mentioned.
theaussiefloydian wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:09 am I find that Yes is best listened to in small doses. You're absolutely that they're obviously very talented musicians, but I've only ever been able to get through an album of theirs once (I think it was Fragile), and in general if I'm going to listen to Yes it's probably just going to be "Roundabout" or "Heart of the Sunrise" (or "Owner of a Lonely Heart").
To the contrary, I find Close to the Edge one of the quintessential prog albums (Fragile and Relayer not too far behind). That said, Tales from Topographic Oceans is definitely unswallowable from my perspective.
Kerry King wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:04 pm And Bernie Taupin is a much better example of a lyricist who is less gifted with words than Gilmour. Of course, in his defense, it was Bernie's job to keep the lyrical content safe and mediocre. Radio-friendly.
Wut? 8-[

https://www.songtexte.com/songtext/elto ... 63b4c.html
mosespa wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:48 am I felt that TDB was a step in the right direction for a Waters-less Floyd, though "High Hopes" deeply made me wish they had SOMEONE who would've told them "that's crap and you're ripping off Alan Parsons; toss it and let's do something else."
Interestingly enough, my mother was the one who first noticed the Alan Parsons Project rip-off. I subsequently came up with a few more. :o
That said, "High Hopes" usually gets name-checked as the best Pink Floyd after The Wall, so... :smt102
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:10 am That said, "High Hopes" usually gets name-checked as the best Pink Floyd after The Wall, so... :smt102
And whoever says that is WRONG, though they're welcome to continue to be so. *shrug*

"High Hopes" is mediocre, luke-warm and a total APP rip-off.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Alan Parsons is crap (very well recorded crap), so... yes, ripping him off is crap. But he already "ripped off" pf first. Besides, to exist is to plagiarize.

High Hopes is just about the best a post-Waters floyd could come up with. Right or wrong.

Speaking of "rips"... The Mike Campbell lick from The Boys Of Summer gets recycled as a cheesy synth line in The Powers That Be. That one always used to make me laugh. And look who showed up on ATD to sing backing vocals on Watching TV.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

DarkSideFreak wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:10 am
Kerry King wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:04 pm And Bernie Taupin is a much better example of a lyricist who is less gifted with words than Gilmour. Of course, in his defense, it was Bernie's job to keep the lyrical content safe and mediocre. Radio-friendly.
Wut? 8-[

https://www.songtexte.com/songtext/elto ... 63b4c.html

That's a great song. I'm being overly harsh to BT because I was playing Ziggy's game.

Close To The Edge is great music. The lyrics are often ridiculous. Makes the grateful dead sound completely sober.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:25 am High Hopes is just about the best a post-Waters floyd could come up with. Right or wrong.
Wrong.

"Poles Apart" is the best Post-Waters song.

Maybe "Lost For Words."

"High Hopes" is, in my view, the worst piece of bilge Gilmour ever came up with.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I'm all for going and staying off-topic, but come on.

"Post-Waters Floyd" is no worse than "Post-Floyd Waters."

Roger's later writing is not good.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I disagree.

Sure, PACOHH was a bit of a drag, but Radio KAOS is my favorite of his solo albums and one of my favorite albums of the decade.

There are also huge chunks of Amused To Death that are every bit as good as anything he did with Floyd.

And with the exception of "Learning To Fly" and "One Slip," you can throw AMLOR into the garbage and the world is a better place for it.

Half of "The Division Bell" can go right in there with it.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Pros and Cons is the only one that I consistently enjoy, as long as I only put it on once a year or less. Radio KAOS is horrible, and all the more so for committing the same production atrocities as Momentary Lapse, which was at least made with the understanding that other people would have to listen to it.
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

Those mentioning YES should listen to awaken from going for the one , one of the greatest pieces of music ever written
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

High Hopes is better than ANYTHING Roger has written since The Wall. Amused to Death was a decent attempt but I think like with pros and cons with Clapton it was the other musicians that made some of the songs as good as they turned out.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Gslatner wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:15 am High Hopes is better than ANYTHING Roger has written since The Wall. Amused to Death was a decent attempt but I think like with pros and cons with Clapton it was the other musicians that made some of the songs as good as they turned out.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right...because the guest musicians totally alter a melody and chord progression of a song.