Momentary Lapse of Reason - Remixed and Updated - Oct 2021

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
JohnColtrane
Embryo
Embryo

Momentary Lapse of Reason - Remixed and Updated - Oct 2021

Post by JohnColtrane »

https://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/

"Remixed and updated from the original 1987 master tapes for The Later Years by Andy Jackson with David Gilmour, assisted by Damon Iddins, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason will be available on Vinyl, CD, DVD, Blu-ray and digitally with Stereo and 5.1 mixes (VINYL cut at 45 rpm for enhanced sound quality). In addition, for the first time, the album will be presented in 360 Reality Audio, a new immersive music experience that closely mimics the omni-directional soundscape of live musical performance for the listener using Sony's object-based 360 Spatial Sound technologies. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason will also be released in Dolby Audio and UHD in addition to 360 Reality Audio, all of which will continue with other Pink Floyd releases.

The release of The Later Years project in 2019 gave an opportunity for a fresh overview of the album, originally released in 1987. By returning to some of Richard Wright's original keyboard takes, and by re-recording new drum tracks with Nick Mason, producers David Gilmour and Bob Ezrin have restored a better creative balance between the three Pink Floyd members".

The remixed and updated A Momentary Lapse Of Reason album also features a new album cover using an alternative beds photo by Robert Dowling from the original album cover shoot directed by the late Storm Thorgerson. Echoing the iconic original sleeve the 2021 album artwork is designed and art directed by Aubrey Powell/Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon/StormStudios.

To be released on 29th October 2021.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Momentary Lapse of Reason - Remixed and Updated - Oct 2021

Post by Keith Jordan »

I really like the new mix of the album, particularly One Slip. Sounds fantastic.

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/pink ... tober-2021

azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

One Slip is the best remixed track
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I prefer the remixed versions and, as noted above 'One Slip' is a good example. As far as I can tell the new package, putting aside the 45-rpm double album, is just CD1 and BR6 from the 'Later Years' box; since I own the box, I'll save my pennies.

Whatever happened to 'Animals' ?
later001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Definitely interested in picking up a copy. I like this remix and would like to own a copy for sure.
The main question is on what format - I want the vinyl but I also have to be financially realistic (why do the good releases always come out around the beginning of classes?)
JohnColtrane
Embryo
Embryo

Post by JohnColtrane »

Really looking forward to hearing the vinyl version of this (my CD player broke years back and I never replaced it). Hope it's not too expensive. From what I've heard it's great they've lifted Rick up in the mix whilst still honouring the songs. Looking forward to the Animals remix once it navigates the Waters / Gilmour / Mason political maze.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

JohnColtrane wrote: ↑Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:22 am Hope it's not too expensive.
Vinyl and Bluray/CD are listed at Amazon with 50 EUR each, CD only at 20 EUR..... grab that cash with both hands....
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Yucateco wrote: ↑Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:33 am
Vinyl and Bluray/CD are listed at Amazon with 50 EUR each, CD only at 20 EUR..... grab that cash with both hands....
Unfortunately that's pretty par for the course for new 2LP sets. Hell I can't even find a recent pressing of Slowdive albums for under $35 CAD (25 EUR).
Tho oddly enough in Canada they're listed at $45 for the record and $12 for the CD so I fail to see why it's more expensive in Europe (especially once exchange rate is factored in). Granted those prices on the website are probably USD not CAD but even that factored in my point remains.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

I don't own a physical copy of this album so I will probably buy the single CD

(Slightly hypocritical since I've spent quite a bit of time on this forum slagging it off πŸ˜‚ it does have some decent moments on it)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

60 Mins highlights of Venice 89 on SKY Arts Ch11 freeview right now
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Perhaps the band's management will finally grace us with updated liner notes, and reveal when and where Nick Mason redid the drums.

Spreading the album on 2 LPs at 45 rpm is the ultimate in terms of what vinyl can offer - it will sound spectacular when the needle drops.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Hadrian wrote: ↑Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:45 pm Perhaps the band's management will finally grace us with updated liner notes, and reveal when and where Nick Mason redid the drums.
I mean given the whole Animals liner notes debacle, where Gilmour was saying he didn't much like liner notes, I don't believe they'd do that - or if they do Gilmour had better name another reason he's not too keen on the proposed Animals notes.
Hadrian wrote: ↑Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:45 pm Spreading the album on 2 LPs at 45 rpm is the ultimate in terms of what vinyl can offer - it will sound spectacular when the needle drops.
Oh absolutely. Side A on the original 1-LP release is probably the one that will most benefit from it, as that side runs at 26 minutes which is a bit longer than a record side can be without sacrificing sound fidelity so I'm pretty pleased about that.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

theaussiefloydian wrote: ↑Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:49 pm I mean given the whole Animals liner notes debacle, where Gilmour was saying he didn't much like liner notes, I don't believe they'd do that - or if they do Gilmour had better name another reason he's not too keen on the proposed Animals notes.
There shouldn't be anything controversial for Gilmour about ALMOR, he was always in full control of the narrative on that one. If Dave and Nick were together in the studio again after TER sessions (2012-14), that is interesting information indeed. Knowing that the band was active again in 2019 (for example) would be spectacular stuff.
JohnColtrane
Embryo
Embryo

Post by JohnColtrane »

I do like the fact the cover uses outtake photographs which arguably was from one of the best photo shoots ever for an album cover. When I think of this album and the music it contains, my mind always visualises the cover work. The new cover also encapsulates Learning To Fly nicely. Hopefully the original layout of the album artwork will all be honoured, but with a new twist. I see from the promo photos Rick is rightly posing with David and Nick. Despite the prices, you can usually rely on Floyd reissue packaging to be good quality.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

JohnColtrane wrote: ↑Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:10 am I do like the fact the cover uses outtake photographs which arguably was from one of the best photo shoots ever for an album cover. When I think of this album and the music it contains, my mind always visualises the cover work. The new cover also encapsulates Learning To Fly nicely.\
My favourite thing is the fact that they opened up the top of the cover so the panorama from the original becomes the bottom half of the new cover. It gives the whole artwork a lot more space and is a much better design than the original cover (I can't say I've ever been overly keen of the layout of the original art layout).