Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Kerry King wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:25 pm As for Bill Hubbard, I suppose Gilmour paid no attention to what Beck did on ATD? Gilmour is influenced by Beck, too. It's not a one way street. I think people just like to argue.
What Beck did on ATD is irrelevant - both he and Gilmour had already recorded very similar pieces that were much more widely known. There are no distinct similarities between any of his playing there and anything on Division Bell. Structurally, yes - Dave, Rick, Roger, Jeff, and Pink Floyd have all recorded vaguely similar introductions on their albums. But "Cluster One" isn't just a guitar piece, it's a call-and-response with the piano. Formulaic? Yes. Necessary? Yes. It would be pretty jarring to begin any album with "What Do You Want From Me" or "What God Wants".
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:39 am There are no distinct similarities between any of his playing there and anything on Division Bell.
As if I can't hear it for myself. Of course there are similarities. They're both playing guitar. They're into vibrato, they're playing in an upper register, they're using a cleanish tone, playing melodically with a blues vibe over ambient synth, they both came up under a lot of the same influences...they're not too different.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Nothing specific or unique to his playing on Amused to Death. If any of Jeff Beck's fans ran out and bought the album, it would've sold a hell of a lot more copies than it did.
ChillOnTheSun
Embryo
Embryo

Post by ChillOnTheSun »

Well, totally remixed Animals are here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/pin ... 235056891/
One element fans may immediately gravitate to is a photograph in the “Animals” section that Powell shot five years ago at the site of the original “Animals” shoot that will be used as the cover of a long-awaited boxed set for that album due to now arrive in 2022. “I’ve reshot the ‘Animals’ cover, which was the pig over the power station,” says Powell. “So although it’s not been released yet, we thought, well, okay, let’s put the new cover up there. They’re building blocks of flats there, and I wanted to get this picture before the power station was surrounded completely — which it is now – by apartments to the point you can barely see it, and do something with it. Consequently there’s a re-release of the new album, a version with a remix and a live album, coming out next year, and this is going to be the album cover. So there’s a history here going from way back when they started right up to the present day.”
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

jambo wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:19 pm https://variety.com/2021/music/news/pin ... 235056891/
One element fans may immediately gravitate to is a photograph in the “Animals” section that Powell shot five years ago at the site of the original “Animals” shoot that will be used as the cover of a long-awaited boxed set for that album due to now arrive in 2022. “I’ve reshot the ‘Animals’ cover, which was the pig over the power station,” says Powell. “So although it’s not been released yet, we thought, well, okay, let’s put the new cover up there. They’re building blocks of flats there, and I wanted to get this picture before the power station was surrounded completely — which it is now – by apartments to the point you can barely see it, and do something with it. Consequently there’s a re-release of the new album, a version with a remix and a live album, coming out next year, and this is going to be the album cover. So there’s a history here going from way back when they started right up to the present day.”
This is too good to be true... let´s hope he is right
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Sadly there is now a correction note at the foot of the Variety article:

Correction: A previous version of this story referred to a live-album component of an upcoming “Animals” boxed set. A live album is not part of the release.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

azza200 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:01 pm Sadly there is now a correction note at the foot of the Variety article:

Correction: A previous version of this story referred to a live-album component of an upcoming “Animals” boxed set. A live album is not part of the release.
Probably because Roger couldn't take all the credit for it! :lol:
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

There will be an Animals box set but it won't contain a live recording? What's the point?
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Kerry King wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:30 pm What's the point?
Personally I'm holding out hope for a cleaned up version of some of the stuff we got on the Extraction Tapes ROIO like the studio version of "Raving and Drooling" and things like that. But yeah not including any In the Flesh Tour recordings seems a little silly to me but they swear up and down they don't have any soundboards of it (which I find rather difficult to believe) so I suppose we had that one coming.
PinkPhishPhan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PinkPhishPhan »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:27 pm
azza200 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:01 pm Sadly there is now a correction note at the foot of the Variety article:

Probably because Roger couldn't take all the credit for it! :lol:
Well said.

We now know that the whole box set was held up because he wanted liner notes that basically says in every paragraph - "This was ROGER's IDEA" or "Roger then said this idea ....and when the band FINALLY agreed" ](*,)

This is why David didn't want the liner notes, period. Not because he wanted credit, he just didn't want it to be another place where Roger just rants - "It was all ME. ME. ME. My idea. Me." Plus these liner notes read like garbage. It looks like Roger wrote them and asked Mark to submit them as his own.

I'm happy they're not in there. He even ADDED ANOTHER CREDIT in the liner notes on his website and then apologized for it!??!! It shows he can't help himself. Got Ego much?

https://rogerwaters.com/animals-new-mix-update/

Following the success of 1973’s The Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd pondered their next move. During a two-to-three week jam session in early 1974, the band worked on ideas for three new compositions. From these sessions the band developed Shine On You Crazy Diamond, (A passionate tribute to Syd Barrett, words by Roger Waters. Added by me, sorry couldn’t help it.) which became the centrepiece of Floyd’s next album, Wish You Were Here, and Raving And Drooling (composed by Roger Waters) and You Gotta Be Crazy written by Waters and David Gilmour.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

PinkPhishPhan wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:59 pm https://rogerwaters.com/animals-new-mix-update/

Following the success of 1973’s The Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd pondered their next move. During a two-to-three week jam session in early 1974, the band worked on ideas for three new compositions. From these sessions the band developed Shine On You Crazy Diamond, (A passionate tribute to Syd Barrett, words by Roger Waters. Added by me, sorry couldn’t help it.) which became the centrepiece of Floyd’s next album, Wish You Were Here, and Raving And Drooling (composed by Roger Waters) and You Gotta Be Crazy written by Waters and David Gilmour.
Lord Almighty I missed that bit when I skimmed through those notes. Bloody hell Roger.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The man is an egomaniac! He is pretty good though.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Used to be.