Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
PinkPhishPhan
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Animals re-issue including 5.1 mix coming

Post by PinkPhishPhan »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:06 pm
PinkPhishPhan wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:59 pm https://rogerwaters.com/animals-new-mix-update/

Following the success of 1973’s The Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd pondered their next move. During a two-to-three week jam session in early 1974, the band worked on ideas for three new compositions. From these sessions the band developed Shine On You Crazy Diamond, (A passionate tribute to Syd Barrett, words by Roger Waters. Added by me, sorry couldn’t help it.) which became the centrepiece of Floyd’s next album, Wish You Were Here, and Raving And Drooling (composed by Roger Waters) and You Gotta Be Crazy written by Waters and David Gilmour.
Lord Almighty I missed that bit when I skimmed through those notes. Bloody hell Roger.
Yea, I mean you can see why David just chose to eliminate it, because it's not a liner note. It's a "credits roll" for Roger.

Over the past few year, you remember Roger saying something like "I tried to get the band back together for you... Talked to David and I really want to get this Animals release to you. But David doesn't want to do either."

Now we know why. I can only imagine his first concession for the reunion to David and Nick was... "We'll play ANYTHING YOU want David, up to the Final Cut."

David "Nope"

Roger: "Ok, we'll do one song you want on that Bell record, as long as the screen shows the credits at the end of the show for the songs. It'll be nice. We'll include the lighting guy, the singers and crew too. And Rick."
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

PinkPhishPhan wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:07 pm Now we know why. I can only imagine his first concession for the reunion to David and Nick was... "We'll play ANYTHING YOU want David, up to the Final Cut."

David "Nope"
I suspect this point was the biggest point of conflict when they were assembling the Live 8 track list too.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I suspect Roger wants a Floyd release to piggyback his next tour on. He can't advertise on Pink Floyd’s social media, but he can certainly hijack the Animals promotion and use that publicity. I'm pretty sure every tour of his since '99 has coincided with a major Pink Floyd reissue campaign.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:47 pm I'm pretty sure every tour of his since '99 has coincided with a major Pink Floyd reissue campaign.
I mean the Us + Them tour was around when the vinyl re-releases were, but one instance is not enough to begin to correlate that. I mean The Wall Tour began two years after ...Why Pink Floyd? so...
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Is There Anybody Out There? was in the works for a few years before Roger borrowed Clapton's backing band and hit the road, and was slated to be released on the 30th anniversary of the album, not the tour, but was delayed.

Echoes came out after his tour ended, but he immediately announced new dates and hit the road for another year.

Roger tried to get Dave to accept a lucrative offer to tour Dark Side of the Moon while Oh, by the Way was being prepared, and ended up going out on his own.

Why Pink Floyd was in the works before Roger started working on his Wall tour.

The Early Years came out six months before the start of the Us + Them tour, which was very much not an Is This the Life tour.

Keep in mind that almost every one of these coincided with a divorce, as though Roger needed to clear his schedule to compete with Pink Floyd. Being active may have given him more leverage on each reissue campaign, but dumping his wives protected each massive influx of royalty cheques.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:11 pm Keep in mind that almost every one of these coincided with a divorce
In 1969, Waters married his childhood sweetheart Judith Trim... and divorced in 1975.
In 1976, Waters married Lady Carolyne Christie... divorced in 1992.
In 1993, Waters married Priscilla Phillips... their marriage ended in 2001.
In 2004, Waters became engaged to Laurie Durning... the two married on 14 January 2012 and filed for divorce in September 2015.
So like... two of them. And they seemed to happen after or during the tours too because the In the Flesh Live CD released in 2001 and Roger Waters The Wall released in 2015 after the tour was finished.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

That's when they were finalized, but just like preparing for a tour or remastering a career's worth of albums, it's a long process. As Nick has said, people associate albums with the year they were released, but for him they're always linked to the year or two that led up to that.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:57 pm That's when they were finalized, but just like preparing for a tour or remastering a career's worth of albums, it's a long process. As Nick has said, people associate albums with the year they were released, but for him they're always linked to the year or two that led up to that.
filed for divorce in September 2015.
That's the beginning of the process. Which, again, happened after the tour was over. So only one of the tours could possibly line up with a divorce proceeding.
Also I have to correct myself, In the Flesh - Live came out in 2000, not 2001. So the connection between that and his third divorce is even more tenuous now.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

I was wishing that some new material would arrive to us, by this re-issue, but it seems it is only a mix. = (
Don't they have anything more from the vaults to add?
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Eclipse wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:39 pm I was wishing that some new material would arrive to us, by this re-issue, but it seems it is only a mix. = (
See I would have thought so, but given that they swear up and down that they didn't record the In the Flesh tour in soundboard quality I guess not.
But I'll never be fussed about "just a mix". Muse just released their new mix of Origin of Symmetry, and that set was just the mix. Still happy that it was out there though!
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:39 pm I was wishing that some new material would arrive to us, by this re-issue, but it seems it is only a mix. = (
They do have more in the vaults but the bickering between David and Roger sadly the other material we wont see or hear until they have both died sadly
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

I am as much of a Pink Floyd fan as anybody and feel we don’t need anymore remixes. If there is unreleased live stuff, great otherwise leave my childhood/young adult music alone. I get David wanted Rick on Momentary Lapse but as a fan it’s only mildly amusing hearing him play on those tracks.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

with AMLOR its good to have the remix but overall i still prefer the original mix and the only song which has worked the best out from the remix is One Slip the rest is hit and miss.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

azza200 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:23 pm They do have more in the vaults but the bickering between David and Roger sadly the other material we wont see or hear until they have both died sadly
Don´t get your hopes up, Polly will make sure there won´t be any releases that include Waters.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

Maybe if Roger would stop running his mouth about the others in the band they might throw him a bone and release some of his stuff but after the podcast he just did I wouldn’t hold my breath.