Roger And David Complimenting Each Other

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
MortSahlFan
Embryo
Embryo

Roger And David Complimenting Each Other

Post by MortSahlFan »

Unfortunately, the media focuses on negatives, and fans are passionate people. So here's a thread concentrating on things one might not ever hear, but is also part of the truth. I have posted this elsewhere, and it's amazing how much devout Pink Floyd fans learn because the negative makes more money, and is constantly repeated. So here's a POSITIVE thread :)

"Young Lust" is a pastiche number. It reminds me very much of a song we recorded years and years ago called "The Nile Song," it's very similar, Dave sings it in a very similar way. I think he sings "Young Lust" terrific, I love the vocals. - Roger

Interview - David Gilmour: And This Is Me...
Mojo, April 2006

Q: OK, look at a really personal song, even though it's Roger's lyrics again, 'Shine On you Crazy Diamond' from Wish You Were Here (1975).
A: I've always loved this song. I love the words

We put some great jokes in things, little backwards messages to pander to these anoraks who hunt for things and claim malgin influences. We had vast amounts of fun doing that, but noone seemed to spot it."
David Gilmour - Guardian Newspaper, UK - October 25th, 2002

"We were all very, very happy to have a driving force like Roger who wanted to push for these concepts" David Gilmour - Guitar World, 2003

Roger Waters: Dave is a great singer. He has a very acute and sensitive ear for harmony. A lot of those double tracks and the harmonies where he sings through Dark Side... or on lots of the records - I sat back while he did that and he'd follow his instincts and produce these great harmonies. I was always somewhat in awe of that. It takes great talent to be able to do that, and it's something I really appreciate.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger And David Complimenting Each Other

Post by Annoying Twit »

And, no replies to this thread!!!

Controversy sells. :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am sure they had a mutual respect for one another. :D
MortSahlFan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MortSahlFan »

Waters: "Dave sang Breathe much better than I could have. His voice suited the song. I don't remember any ego problems about who sang what at that point. There was a balance. You'd just say, How does that sound in your range?"
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

two highly gifted individuals with mutual respect and admiration for each other's strengths.
MortSahlFan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MortSahlFan »

Dave: “Roger has many, many good points and many talents, but he’s a very alpha male sort of person."

Dave: “I might still have been shy then, but Roger had certainly taken to leaping around, thrashing his bass and gurning a bit. Then there was the dramatic striking of the gong and the screaming in Careful With That Axe. Roger had discovered letting his pain out. I know that John Lennon did that whole Arthur ‘Primal Scream’ Janov album, which Roger was very keen on, but he was screaming long before Lennon ever got to Janov.”

- Mojo, 2007
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

"He was a good bass player when he wanted to be..."
MortSahlFan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MortSahlFan »

Roger Waters: Dave is a great singer. He has a very acute and sensitive ear for harmony. A lot of those double tracks and the harmonies where he sings through Dark Side... or on lots of the records - I sat back while he did that and he'd follow his instincts and produce these great harmonies. I was always somewhat in awe of that. It takes great talent to be able to do that, and it's something I really appreciate.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

roger walters and dave gilmore were both pretty talented rock stars, i miss them
MortSahlFan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by MortSahlFan »

Eclipse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:46 pm roger walters and dave gilmore were both pretty talented rock stars, i miss them
You probably already know this, but just in case others might not, here's the video of them playing together. David was playing a benefit for Palestine, and asked Roger if he would play with him, with the song, "To Know Him Is To Love Him" and then said he'd play "Comfortably Numb" on one of Roger's O2 shows (which a friend of mine saw) and then also appeared on "Outside the Wall" with Roger and Nick.. Very touching moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuofx10Hr0