Syd Barrett Guitar Auction October 2021

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Syd Barrett Guitar Auction October 2021

Post by Keith Jordan »

Pink Floyd founding member Syd Barrett’s 12 string guitar, which he discussed in his 1971 Rolling Stone interview, is up for auction by Cheffins. His nephew Mark Barrett, aged 57, is now selling the 12-string Yamaha acoustic guitar with proceeds to be split evenly between mental health charity Mind and the Arthur Rank Hospice in Shelford Bottom.

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/syd- ... or-auction

crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Syd Barrett Guitar Auction October 2021

Post by crofloyd »

So, he didn't meet his uncle Syd during all of his 57 years? Was Barrett family estranged?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps he saw him when he was younger and was making the point that he never got to know him as a grown up because he didn't have visitors except for his sister, Rosemary. And the NME!
“Unfortunately, I never got to know my uncle Roger, though I would have loved to, but he was a recluse in his later years.”
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

It's fairly remarkable how much Mark Barrett resembles Syd, and his current appearance could almost provide a bizarre age-progression if Syd had remained musically active into the new millennium...and became a Nine Inch Nails fan...
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I wouldn't be completely surprised if someone close to Gilmour were to purchase Syd's 12-string as a gift to David, like Polly did with Jimi Hendrix's guitar strap.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Its getting closer to the guitar being auctioned, I wonder how much it will end up going for...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Guitar £16,000k
Piper girlfriend copy £850
Spotlights £200
School photo £550
Garden furniture £1900

Total £19,500

Also sold was Piper Mono signed by Vic Singh £1100k but not connected to Barrett estate I don't think.
deepinder cheema
Embryo
Embryo

Post by deepinder cheema »

Is the seller Alan Barretts son Mark Barrett? I had a run in with another chap called Matt whose comments about me I got removed, because he was a bad little fellow. The article indicates that Syd's brother Alan died is deceased.

Based on my previous experience I would have doubts that the guitar belonged to Syd and there is no proof that it is the same guitar which is mentioned in the Rolling Stone article. Mick Rock may not have any photos of it.

I do not believe that the Genesis edition of Mick's book signed by the Barrett who was born 06/01/1946 is the same Barrett, but his now deceased brother Alan. Which is why based on past observations the guitar's association with Syd is doubtful and there is no evidence
deepinder cheema
Embryo
Embryo

Post by deepinder cheema »

There is no evidence to indicate that there is a direct association of Syd to this guitar whether he played it or owned it.