Re: Wish You Were Here – misprint?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hannnnnes
Embryo
Embryo

Wish You Were Here – misprint?

Post by Hannnnnes »

As part of a large bundle of cassettes (~80) I recently got a club edition cassete of WYWH:

https://www.discogs.com/release/1615395 ... -Were-Here

But I noticed something: the colours of the logo are the wrong way round.
• the background behind the title is orange, fading into red towards the centre of the logo.
• the sky is turquoise, the water is blue
• the mountains are red

On all the other releases I can find red and orange, and blue and turquoise are reversed.

Has anyone here ever found a similar copy?

……

Btw, I paid €20 for these ~80 cassettes, also including Animals and The Wall. ;-)
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

that's why it is better to only stream or download stuff.
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

Eclipse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:56 pm that's why it is better to only stream or download stuff.
How is that answer of yours related to the original poster's question?

He clearly asked about an issue in the printing of the cover, which may have been caused by several factors back then when mechanical printing was subject to many steps, and human error was common.

You stated a completely unrelated personal opinion that adds absolutely nothing to the topic.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Niebla de Fuego wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:15 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:56 pm that's why it is better to only stream or download stuff.
How is that answer of yours related to the original poster's question?

He clearly asked about an issue in the printing of the cover, which may have been caused by several factors back then when mechanical printing was subject to many steps, and human error was common.

You stated a completely unrelated personal opinion that adds absolutely nothing to the topic.

indeed, captain obvious. Go cry in your room.
Hannnnnes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hannnnnes »

Niebla de Fuego wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:15 pm mechanical printing was subject to many steps, and human error was common.
That is what I had in mind. But, the big question is – has anyone ever seen this 'variant' before? Or did I accidentally acquire a proper rarity that may actually be worth something? \:D/
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Hannnnnes wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:43 pm
Niebla de Fuego wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:15 pm mechanical printing was subject to many steps, and human error was common.
That is what I had in mind. But, the big question is – has anyone ever seen this 'variant' before? Or did I accidentally acquire a proper rarity that may actually be worth something? \:D/
The PFA website lists several releases of the tape: http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DGerCTPF.htm#WYWH1
But they all seem to be with correct colors.

If that was a printing mistake, it may be part of a small batch that escaped quality control. It may be not unique: a handful others may have existed when this particular mistake happened before being corrected. But it may be very hard to find another one like this. Specially given the delicate nature of the covers. Or it may be the case that the mistake was not corrected and the mistake was reproduced hundreds of times.

I could repeat what I already answered here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25659
The value of the object you have in your hands depends on several factors. It's hard to precisely say how much is it worth. Best idea is to keep it while you can contact someone specialized in that kind of collectibles and have a proper assessment.
And even if it may prove to be worth just as much as any other old tape, at least you have something different.
Hannnnnes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Hannnnnes »

Yes, I have also written to the PFA if they know anything. In the end, I don't really care how much it is worth, having something unique and special is enough…
I was just curious, as this is a generally well-documented album that sold in the millions.
Let's see if the PFA can shed some light into the dark side of the moon :smt004
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

The problem with Pink Floyd items (however rare as your WYWH unusual print) is that there isn't a cult like, say, The Beatles. Every Beatles misprint, production error, mislabeled LP, or whatever is highly sought after, and reaches absurd prices, just because it's Beatles. The Pink Floyd has not reached that kind of fetishism to make those unusual occurrences valuable to collectors. I believe (as you say) having something unique is enough for the owner. And after all, if it is worth something, why would you sell it? Better to enjoy it in your hands knowing you own something special.