1971 live albums mysteriously appear on Spotify

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

1971 live albums mysteriously appear on Spotify

Post by Master_Chief »

So I woke up this morning and like most Friday mornings I checked my release radar on Spotify only to find 11 - yes 11 - live albums from 1971.

Was this expected? They definitely sound like bootlegs and not proper soundboard recordings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1971 live albums mysteriously appear on Spotify

Post by twcc »

Certainly very suspect, but what I found odd was the 'Live in Montreux' (different sleeve) was recently available for purchase via Amazon UK. I have a copy and it sounds good and is apparently sourced from a Swiss Radio broadcast in 1970.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I returned from lurking because I thought these forums might hold a clue about this.

It's worth noting that all of these albums appear with a Pink Floyd Music Ltd. copyright. They all appear to be legit releases. While other artists such as Frank Zappa (Beat the Boots), Tangerine Dream (The Bootleg Series) and The Doors (Boot Yer Butt) have released bootlegs officially, I'm more than a bit surprised to see the Floyd doing it. The audio quality of some of these is rather sketchy. That said, I welcome the initiative. Listening to Tokyo 1972 now, and I've heard worse.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

unfortunately those don't seem to be available in my country :(
i can't find them even by googling "the album title + spotify", plus the only one that appeared in my Friday release radar was greyed out.

:(
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

This is very odd…

They show up with official copyright and license info but I honestly don’t see how they’re official.

The artwork is awful and seems derived from original bootlegs. Also no formal announcement or campaign.

I reckon someone’s trying to make a fast buck here and these get taken down. I’ve seen it happen elsewhere.

Interesting period of live takes though!
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

its probably more to do with 50 year copyright law
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

Good point but I think the rule is actually now 70 years.

Also I don’t know that there’s any actual law on bootlegs as generally know one owns them:

Case in point PFs Pulse film “Bootlegging the Bootleggers”. It’s a free for all!

Also I don’t think any old Joe can post to an artists page like this so curious to see what happens.
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

They've also appeared on Tidal...in the album's section. Slightly annoying as surely they should go in the "live" albums section
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

siderealxxx wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:01 pm Good point but I think the rule is actually now 70 years.

Also I don’t know that there’s any actual law on bootlegs as generally know one owns them:

Case in point PFs Pulse film “Bootlegging the Bootleggers”. It’s a free for all!

Also I don’t think any old Joe can post to an artists page like this so curious to see what happens.
Those songs from France WDYWFM, OTTA, Poles Apart were shot by the band crew only Marooned used known bootlegged footage
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

I can't see how these can be deemed official, the sound quality is terrible and the album art is also sub-standard. Two things PF take great pride in!

They do state however - copywright 2021 Pink Floyd Music Ltd. So I guess they're legit
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

dj865 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 pm
They do state however - copywright 2021 Pink Floyd Music Ltd. So I guess they're legit
Nah, someone entered that to get them through. There are services where if you know what you’re doing, you can list music under another artists profile and attempt to reap the royalties from those recordings. In the case of PF it would be sizeable. I bet these will be gone by the end of the week if the lawyers have seen it.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

The fact that the album covers were now swapped out for something "official" (but also more boring) looking shows that these are actually sanctioned. The reason, I assume, is so that the band actually doesn't lose the rights - which they have not enforced so far, but would lose now, since these are all 50 years old now.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

great! Now they are appearing to me, I hope they remain available there!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

It looks like they may be 'official' -

https://www.nme.com/news/music/pink-flo ... 92?amp#top

:-;
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

It’s more a bit incorrect that these are being described as “live albums”, though. They are clearly liberated bootlegs. Some of them even contain audible vinyl surface noise.