Roger waters and pink Floyd dispute

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Chris Walton
Axe
Axe

Roger waters and pink Floyd dispute

Post by Chris Walton »

I never got credit for negotiating thie settlement of this dispute. I was a director of pink Floyd music ltd
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Roger waters and pink Floyd dispute

Post by Keith Jordan »

Hi Chris. I see you were a director for 10 years, how come you left the company? Also, what was your part in the settlement process? Perhaps you could share the story? :D
Chris Walton
Axe
Axe

Post by Chris Walton »

I resigned because I left England to retire in my Thai house.
The settlement agreement took six months to negotiate. I rang roger in June 87 and told him that David wanted to speak to him to resolve their dispute. I then rang David to see if he was willing to meet with Roger he said only if I took minutes of the meetings.
The first meeting in late June 1987 was in Roger’s office in Ruvigny gardens. A lot of the groundwork of what they could agree on was resolved. I took minutes and faxed them to both roger and david for their comments.

The next meeting was in David’s boathouse in Walton on Thames. That meeting became heated and roger told David why and when he started to hate David.
On 24th December 1987 I met with David first with a proposed draft agreement. He made a few changes and then I went to Roger’s house in East Sheen. Roger made substantial changes and I went back to the boat to get David to agree the amendments .
David then signed three copies of the agreement and I took them back to roger. Roger was the second person to sign all three copies of the settlement agreement. I then went to Nick’s house for him to be the third and final signature. I got home around midnight after giving roger and david copies of the settlement agreement.

All internet searches suggest that the lawyers finalised the agreement. That’s false
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

Chris Walton wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:09 am ...
All internet searches suggest that the lawyers finalised the agreement. That’s false
I remember Nick Mason wrote in his Inside Out book how lawyers couldn't translate the original terms of the agreement to legalese, so in the end what was used was the originally drafted document. So yeah, they didn't wrote the document.
Chris Walton
Axe
Axe

Post by Chris Walton »

The lawyers wanted to drag out the dispute to charge lots of fees
Chris Walton
Axe
Axe

Post by Chris Walton »

My drafted settlement agreement remains the actual final settlement
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Chris Walton wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:09 am ...
The settlement agreement took six months to negotiate. I rang roger in June 87 and told him that David wanted to speak to him to resolve their dispute. I then rang David to see if he was willing to meet with Roger he said only if I took minutes of the meetings.
The first meeting in late June 1987 was in Roger’s office in Ruvigny gardens. A lot of the groundwork of what they could agree on was resolved. I took minutes and faxed them to both roger and david for their comments.

The next meeting was in David’s boathouse in Walton on Thames. That meeting became heated and roger told David why and when he started to hate David.
On 24th December 1987 I met with David first with a proposed draft agreement. He made a few changes and then I went to Roger’s house in East Sheen. Roger made substantial changes and I went back to the boat to get David to agree the amendments .
David then signed three copies of the agreement and I took them back to roger. Roger was the second person to sign all three copies of the settlement agreement. I then went to Nick’s house for him to be the third and final signature. I got home around midnight after giving roger and david copies of the settlement agreement.
That's a better and more detailed description of what happened.

Here's the excerpt from Mason's book:
We eventually formalised a settlement with Roger. On Christmas Eve 1987, during a break in touring, David and Roger convened for a summit meeting on the houseboat with Jerome Walton, David's accountant. Mince pies, nogging and festive hats were placed on hold, as Jerome painstakingly typed out the bones of a settlement. Essentially -although there was far more complex detail- the agreement allowed Roger to be freed from his arrangement with Steve, and David and me to continue working under the name pink Floyd. The document was then handed over to our respective and expensive lawyers to be translated into legalese. They all singularly failed to achieve this; in the end the court accepted Jerome's version as the final and binding document and duly stamped it.
(Inside Out, 1st edition, pg 293-294)
Chris Walton wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:33 pm My drafted settlement agreement remains the actual final settlement
Mason's memories may have been edited and shortened for editorial reasons, but seems like he was willing to give proper credit and to show how things were really worked out back then in that period for the band.
Chris Walton
Axe
Axe

Post by Chris Walton »

I’m most grateful that Nick Mason gave me credit in his book I didn’t know about this until you quoted from his book.

I always wanted some recognition for writing the settlement agreement which as Nick says was written on Christmas Eve 1987.
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Chris Walton wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:04 pm I’m most grateful that Nick Mason gave me credit in his book I didn’t know about this until you quoted from his book.

I always wanted some recognition for writing the settlement agreement which as Nick says was written on Christmas Eve 1987.
Maybe the internet is not always accurate, but at least it looks like Mason didn't forget and set the facts properly for posterity. :)
Chris Walton
Axe
Axe

Post by Chris Walton »

I thank you enormously for pointing me to Nick Mason’s book.Nick knew me by my middle name Jerome which is probably why this fact was not searchable on the internet. I didn’teven know that the agreement was sealed in court. <ii>
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Fantastic that Nick recognised your achievement in his book. That must have made your day. :D
Chris Walton
Axe
Axe

Post by Chris Walton »

Absolutely I never got paid for the agreement but recognition is actually more important than money
Last edited by twcc on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT ... please see the correction (in this thread) issued by Chris Walton on Wed 26 Jan 2022 at 5:53 am
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Chris Walton wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:09 am I resigned because I left England to retire in my Thai house.

wow interesting inside info thanks for sharing that was a messy time 87.
Chris Walton
Axe
Axe

Post by Chris Walton »

If I had the ability I am sure that with a writer on board an extremely interesting book could be written about my time with pink Floyd.

I was responsible for accounting for both the tours of pink Floyd post roger waters.

Whilst off this topic I threw Richard Wright into a pool at the night club O’ Madrid . It was accidentall but because he was lighter than I thought he went straight into the pool rather than on the edge of the pool. David and Nick thought it very funny.

I would like to thank the members of this forum for checking out the veracity of my post and adding facts that I was u aware of such as the fact that Nick wrote about my role in preparing the agreement and that the agreement was filed in court. The agreement has ended up in the uk archives and actually available to members of this forum if they care to do the research needed to extract the documents.
animalsmagazine
Embryo
Embryo

Post by animalsmagazine »

Dear Chris: I am interested in this. can I contact you? thanks