Robert Wyatt & Soft Machine

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Robert Wyatt & Soft Machine

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Any members here a fan of the Canterbury band Soft Machine? Any big Pink Floyd fan are aware that Soft Machine was a big contemporary with Pink Floyd on the underground London scene. Soft Machine's members have been accociated with various Floyd projects such as Syd's Madcap Laugh's were Soft Machine perform on the tracks: No Good Trying & Love You, Pink Floyd & Soft Machine has performed a benefit conert for Robert Wyatt do to his injury to help pay the hospital bills, Nick Mason produces Robert Wyatt's second solo album: Rock Bottom, Robert Wyatt guest vocaled on Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports album, & David Gilmour was invited to Robert Wyatt's Meltdown concerts as well as David playing guitar on Robert's latest solo album: Cuckooland.

Any fans of Softs or Robert?
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Well, I'm a beginning fan, but on my way to be a big fan :wink:
I'm also keen on Soft Machine-related projects, I do love solo Kevin Ayers' albums :D ....
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Haven't heard any Soft Machine yet, but I like Wyatt's Rock Bottom & Shleep. Plus he did guest vocals on 2 tracks for Ultramarine's (ambiet/techno/folk band) United Kingdoms album, and they're pretty much the only good songs on that album...
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Anna-Roza wrote:Well, I'm a beginning fan, but on my way to be a big fan :wink:
I'm also keen on Soft Machine-related projects, I do love solo Kevin Ayers' albums :D ....
Sweet! It will be soon when I will hear a Kevin Ayer's solo album for me!
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

I've only heard that one soft machine that Gonzo got me to check out. The album is called Third, and I never got into it too much. Not bad, but the songs drag a little too much. Then again, I'm not really into spacey jazz kind of stuff, so don't listen to me. Haven't heard any Wyatt work, although I may check out Rock Bottom eventually.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Robert Wyatt & Soft Machine

Post by zag »

Gonzo wrote:
moon in june is my favorite!
amazing musicians and fitted into syd?s beat firmly. :wink:

peace
zag
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Robert Wyatt & Soft Machine

zag wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
moon in june is my favorite!
amazing musicians and fitted into syd?s beat firmly. :wink:

peace
zag
Yeah, definetly...
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

soft machine featuring syd... they should have played for years :smt023 (makes me think would there be mr. waters songbook :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

peace
zag
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

I don't know too much Soft Machine songs so i can't say much on them. But recently I bought Rock Bottom by Wyatt and it is a very touching album. Sea Song is brilliant and I also have the John Peel version on my computer, the more stripped version. I must say it can be a bit weird sometimes but I like the album.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

rosm wrote:I don't know too much Soft Machine songs so i can't say much on them. But recently I bought Rock Bottom by Wyatt and it is a very touching album. Sea Song is brilliant and I also have the John Peel version on my computer, the more stripped version. I must say it can be a bit weird sometimes but I like the album.
Yes, Rock Bottom is truely emotional & powerful album!
fossilhippie
Axe
Axe

Soft Machine

Post by fossilhippie »

Soft Machine 3 and 7 (w/o Wyatt) are my favorites. I remember they used to warm up for Hendrix way back when...
That was of course after the tour that Hendrix warmed up for the Monkees. (Or was it the Partridge Family?)

Pink Floyd used to wish they could play as well as SM could.
mooninjune
Axe
Axe

Post by mooninjune »

Im a massive soft machine fan. Ive got all there stuff upto 'fifth'. It just got way to self indulgent jazz after that or even after 'third' really, think that was down to mike ratledge trying to over complicate the scores with time sigs that have never been done before and havent since. The beauty of their music is that they had excellent rocky riffs and put them into a jazz form of their own. And took experimental work to a new level have you heard 'spaced'. They invented modern looped music!

Volume two is my favourite, i love every track on it and id tell everyone to give it a listen. Ive got some live stuff too which shows their brilliant musicians each one of them in their own field. Ratledge in particular is like hendrix but on an organ! I couldnt rate soft machine any higher.

Have you heard any matching mole?(thats french for soft machine it was wyatts band after he got kicked out)

glad to see there is a few more fans kicking about gonzo i like your style.

(Shameless plug) Im a musician myself i done a track called 'jacks and aces' which is dedicated to the soft machine. 'helms deep part 1 & 2' is dedicated to pink floyd. Id appreciate if you were to take a listen!! They are @ http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/opaltonicmusic.htm
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

mooninjune wrote:
Have you heard any matching mole?(thats french for soft machine it was wyatts band after he got kicked out)
Yes, I have their self-titled album, it's great :D !!!
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Anna-Roza wrote:
mooninjune wrote:
Likewise & it is fantastic.
gonzo i like your style.
Hey! Thanks bro! :)
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Anna-Roza wrote:...
Mention an obscure album and you've got it Anna-Roza. May I ask how many albums/cds you own.