Doctor Who

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Is everybody waiting until the current lot of episodes have finished? "The Doctor's Wife" has been one of the best DW episodes since 2005 and is "the most downloaded" according to a link I'm trying to find.
If you've been pissed off with the way it's going, then last Saturday's episode made up for it.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i think they are trying to turn dr who into "lost".
they are generating lots of unanswered questions - more with each succeeding episode - but i know the pay-off is going to be naff.

i think the basic ideas in each episode are sound but i dont think they quite know what to do with them using the current format. they are making more and more two parters - which i find annoying as one is invariably really good whilst the other is invariably dissapointing.

cant say im happy with the split season idea either.

i am worried that this may end up being the last season for a while - i feel a hiatus coming on.

im already suspicious that the dr that dies will turn out to be a ganger - after all - where is his tardis?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I can't say that Matt Smith is one of my favourite Doctors. He's all right, but certainly not high on my list.
MY RRRRS
Knife
Knife

Post by MY RRRRS »

so who is high on your list ?

Colin Baker was my favorite.

especially the early Colin Baker cos he was a bit nasty - like the 1st doctor in the pilot before they sweetened him.

didnt like Eccleston - found him highly irritating with his gerbil face gurning.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

I stopped watching around Colin Baker and had to go back to him a few years later. I think Colin Baker is a great actor, I just don't think he was looked after by his producer and writers.
I really loved Sylvester McCoy. The whole world had given up on the show by then, but it was still (cheap) great TV.
I think what did it for the original show was the producers basically stuck two fingers up to the general public and made Dr Who for Dr Who fans. Despite being a bit ahead of their time by making a few stories that linked to the Doctor's companion's past. (And that was another thing that bothered me, why write about anything else than an alien Time Lord?)
It's too early to say this is what's happening with this years series though.
I do like Matt Smith's Doctor. It's just... they are rubbish at shoe-horning in elements linked to the story arc!
The "crack" last year seems smooth and effortlessly included in the story rather than the "Pregnant/Not Pregnant" and that woman with the eyepatch who keeps appearing.

But when we get episodes like "The Doctor's Wife", then it's almost worth it!
I think the payoff won't measure up to the whole thing as well. But I've no proof.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I love the Doctors I grew up watching...Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison...my favourite of those probably being Davison, who I think was is very underrated...and I loved David Tennant's Doctor, except towards the very end when things seemed to get a little over the top (his goodbye to all my friends trip around the universe before he regenerated was ridiculous...but I don't think that was the fault of Tennant, it was the fault of Russell T. Davies who was starting to push things over the top.

Matt Smith is OK...he seems to have borrowed a bit too much of his schtick from David Tennant though...and while I know he was only three years younger than Peter Davison when he started, I think Davison approached the role with more maturity...Smith's doctor lacks the maturity I think the doctor needs...he can regenerate into a young body, but that doesn't change the fact that he's 900 years old...but perhaps that's just part of this Doctor's personality...he does have the problem of being saddled with a rather uninteresting companion in Amy Pond...and Rory, who is underused, seems more or less third banana.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

yes - i dont care for karen gillan either - i think thats why we need Arthur - to fill in for her - but i agree he is under used.

i think Matt smith is doing a bang up job - i wish they would just get on with the story though.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

I've heard people down over the outcome. But full marks for the title of the next episode!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

So has anyone been watching the last three episodes? I think they are better than the last two series of Matt Smith put together.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i have been very happy with the first five episodes - now roll on Christmas special!!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

I think the last five episodes have been the best Matt has been in. I understand some forums feeling cheated over only getting 5. But at least it ended the Amy Pond story (How successfully others many argue) and didn't seem to rush into another chapter without giving the audience time to reflect.
I know my friend's 7 year old daughter was in tears over it. I had a lump in my throat.
And next year, the whole anniversary nonsense kicks off. Best quote I've heard that keeps my faith is "We will never be more than a couple of months away from new Doctor Who on the TV" from the producer.

And Dinosaurs! On a Spaceship!!! <ii>
MY RRRRS
Knife
Knife

Post by MY RRRRS »

i really liked the Christmas special - that new bird is like a breath of fresh air, and it was good to see Matt Smith prove he can act.
i liked the backup characters as well - tho i wasn't all that keen on Richard E
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Not posted in since 2013! :shock: :shock: <.8.>
But if you've switched off during Jodie Whittaker Flux was incredible (And her run has been a lot more enjoyable for me than some male Doctor's series) so just catch up on that.
And then come back to the series with both Russell T. Davies coming back as producer writer and...
Ncuti Gatwa as the NEW DOCTOR WHO!!!

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/do ... ewsupdate/

It's not going to be filmed with three cameras in a studio for 24 minutes.
I for one welcome Ncuti Gatwa and look forward to many more wonderful adventures in time and space with Doctor Who!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

On November the 1st, over 800 episodes of Doctor Who, including spin offs, Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures and Class are getting uploaded onto BBC iPlayer!
https://rts.org.uk/article/bbc-iplayer- ... 20specials.

When further details emerge about what episodes. It does sound like the lot of the entire classic run that survives? I never bought the season box sets. Used to buy them on VHS. Never touched BritBox!