Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets Tour 2022

Discuss Nick Mason, Drumming, Cars, Saucerful of Secrets touring band and more!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets Tour 2022

Post by Keith Jordan »

Can't wait to see them this coming Friday in Manchester. <ii>
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Hi folks,

I am trying to figure out what is the brand new previously unplayed material on the 2022 Echoes tour.

I consulted setlist wiki, and at the moment of writing (18 shows played), it seems there are only 3 new additions:

1. Candy and a Currant Bun (1967)
2. Echoes (1971)
3. Burning Bridges (1972)

("Mudmen" was also reported but that is an instrumental take on "Burning Bridges" with a guitar solo, placed on a different spot on the soundtrack album, similar to the earlier occurrence of "Main Theme" and "Dramatic Theme" from More, being essentially the same music).

Is that really it? I was hoping there would be more. There is certainly enough material from the 1967-1972 era to have an entirely brand new setlist with this tour. I thought there would be enough for at least an LP worth of previously unreleased material for another live release, but at the moment that is not the case.

Am I missing anything here?

p.s.
I will see them live in November, at the very end of the tour, tickets secured long time ago.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Great show in Manchester tonight. 8)
dj865
Blade
Blade

Post by dj865 »

Hadrian wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:07 pm Hi folks,

I am trying to figure out what is the brand new previously unplayed material on the 2022 Echoes tour.

I consulted setlist wiki, and at the moment of writing (18 shows played), it seems there are only 3 new additions:

1. Candy and a Currant Bun (1967)
2. Echoes (1971)
3. Burning Bridges (1972)

("Mudmen" was also reported but that is an instrumental take on "Burning Bridges" with a guitar solo, placed on a different spot on the soundtrack album, similar to the earlier occurrence of "Main Theme" and "Dramatic Theme" from More, being essentially the same music).

Is that really it? I was hoping there would be more. There is certainly enough material from the 1967-1972 era to have an entirely brand new setlist with this tour. I thought there would be enough for at least an LP worth of previously unreleased material for another live release, but at the moment that is not the case.

Am I missing anything here?
I was at Newcastle on Tuesday (amazing show) and they also played Remember a day and also Childhoods End. Don't think these were played in 2018 (I was at Glasgow gig that year)
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Both are on the live album, so they were probably added later on during the 2018-19 run. Hopefully they will add more things this time as well, as the tour continues.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Well 32 or so shows into the Echoes tour, it seems that new additions are indeed just these three numbers:

1. Candy and a Currant Bun
2. Burning Bridges / Mudmen
3. Echoes

Surprises are always possible later on, still some time to go until late November, but if the additions do happen probably there will not be too many (Mason mentioned "The Gold It's in the..." in an interview, but others were less enthusiastic, it did not show up so far in the set).

I have to admit that I am a bit surprised, I thought there would be more variety with material not played on the initial tour, perhaps enough for another single disc release, especially given the very long break between the tours.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Sadly, my date was no re-scheduled.

<sigh>
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

wiped wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:23 am Also ... I'll forgive Nick for saying it's the first time he's played in Ireland for 50yrs. He obviously forgot he guested with Roger in Cork in 2006 for the DSotM set (see bootleg Tripped Out In Cork) 8)
Yes it was a give away when a second kit was set up. Despite the power cut this had to be one of my favourite Rog shows
DietCoors
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DietCoors »

Caught Nick Mason and crew in Denver, Colorado last night. The band was incredibly tight, dialed, and hard hitting. Show actually exceeded expectations significantly.

Set the controls, see emily play, echoes, and Bike were gems. The sound was some of the best I've ever heard live. Certainly a combination of the song selections - with all their amazing experimental playing styles - but the front of house soundman and gear must have been top notch. Moved air in ways I've never experienced.

One very MAJOR quibble. It was a seated show. Like 100% seated. Two guys were really into the show and standing in the row behind the soundboard and they were getting heckled very hard, lots of "SIT THE FUCK DOWN" when they are just vibing with some of the greatest music ever recorded. Really a tragedy. I bet 80% of the place would have preferred to stand and groove but it was certainly not happening. I imagine this is a venue decision??

Anyway, incredible show, see it if you can. Enjoyed it more than Roger's tour this summer.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I find Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets absolutely brilliant. Unlike what Waters and Gilmour do on their solo tours, this is pure and exclusive Pink Floyd concert catalogue, essentially the closest thing to an actual Pink Floyd concert (a spinoff band is the correct characterization here). I guess the nearest thing to compare would be Roger Water's short 2016 Mexico tour, where he played only Pink Floyd material for the whole evening.

I was lucky to hear and see Saucers on their last day of the tour on November 1st (I had the pleasure of seeing them back in 2019 as well). Compared to the 2018-2019 part of the tour, whose entire setlist is captured on the live album, they dropped "Interstellar Overdrive", "Green Is the Colour", "Let There Be More Light" and ""Point Me at the Sky". In their place came in "Candy and a Currant Bun" (which was actually "Let's Roll Another One", reverting back to the original, uncensored lyrics), "Echoes" and "Burning Bridges" (from Obscured by Clouds). The rest was the same, but numerous numbers changed in terms of their arrangement, so - it was not the same [-D-]

Now I just hope that the three new additions were recorded and will see the light of day on some release. All in all, C-19 interrupted 2018-2022 live tour of 161 concerts across 31 countries, not bad at all for a 78 years young drummer.