Best Pink Floyd Albums and Songs (not their popular ones)

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Best Pink Floyd Albums and Songs (not their popular ones)

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Hey guys, I wanted to see what everyone's favorite Pink Floyd songs/albums are!
They can't be any of their popular songs/albums though-nothing from Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals or The Wall.
My favorite album has to be The Final Cut, and my favorite song would be Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered In Cave And Grooving With A Pict.
I look forward to hearing from you!
mosespa

Re: Best Pink Floyd Albums and Songs (not their popular ones)

Post by mosespa »

By this criteria:

Favorite Album: Obscured By Clouds

Favorite Song: Green Is The Color (preferably the KQED version, but I guess the original "More" recording could also work.)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Favourite Album Obscured by Clouds EDIT: oh we can have two? & A Saucerful Of Secrets*
Favourite track Crumbling Land (very nearly picked Paintbox. That should have been the A-Side)

*=I think A Saucerful Of Secrets is better than the debut but Syd's solo work I think better than Floyd.
Last edited by Jimi Dean Barrett on Thu May 19, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Favourite album: Meddle or The Division Bell.
Favourite song: (assuming Echoes doesn't count - it's not on the big four you listed but it's one of their most famous) High Hopes, Take It Back or Fearless.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Favourite Album: The Final Cut

Favourite Songs: The Gunners Dream, A Saucerful of Secrets and The Final Cut
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:28 pm Favourite Album Obscured by Clouds EDIT: oh we can have two? & A Saucerful Of Secrets*
Favourite track Crumbling Land (very nearly picked Paintbox. That should have been the A-Side)

*=I think A Saucerful Of Secrets is better than the debut but Syd's solo work I think better than Floyd.

I agree with that. 'Piper' was great, but 'Saucerful Of Secrets' was definitely better.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:21 pm Favourite album: Meddle...
Likewise, Meddle for me. An alternative would be OBC as I do like the 'old school' material.

For what it's worth, Meddle was always a low level favourite for me but when I worked out how to extract the 5.1 mix from The Early Years Box and put the content onto a disc to play on the 5.1 system it went up several notches as the mix is fantastic.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

twcc wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:02 am
theaussiefloydian wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:21 pm Favourite album: Meddle...
Likewise, Meddle for me.
I honestly find the songs on it that aren't "One of These Days" and "Echoes" are pretty overlooked. "Fearless" is a great song. "A Pillow of Winds" might be one of their most calming efforts. And even "San Tropez" is pretty neat. I really like that there's an almost folk approach to the first side of that album.
Then again, that album does have "Seamus", but that was just thrown in as a joke.
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

Meddle is for sure the Pink Floyd hidden gem. I think it’s great beginning to end. Even the dreaded Seamus makes me smile every time I hear it because it’s so ridiculous. Additionally it never gets lumped into any Pink Floyd drama which is always a plus.

As far as a favorite Wot's... Uh the Deal? Has always been a favorite. It doesn’t matter what mood I’m in it just works.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Gslatner wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:26 pm Meddle is for sure the Pink Floyd hidden gem. I think it’s great beginning to end. Even the dreaded Seamus makes me smile every time I hear it because it’s so ridiculous. Additionally it never gets lumped into any Pink Floyd drama which is always a plus.

As far as a favorite Wot's... Uh the Deal? Has always been a favorite. It doesn’t matter what mood I’m in it just works.

I absolutely agree with you, 'Wot's... Uh, The Deal' is amazing. I love the arpeggiated guitar at the beginning.
'Seamus' definitely has the most ridiculous lyrics out of any post-Syd Barrett songs. But I do the love the blues progression and the slide guitar solo in it.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Gslatner wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:26 pm Meddle is for sure the Pink Floyd hidden gem. I think it’s great beginning to end. Even the dreaded Seamus makes me smile every time I hear it because it’s so ridiculous.
It's funny, I recently had a conversation with a coworker where it turned out that he actually preferred the first side of Meddle and didn't really think much of Meddle. It was a perspective that surprised me, to be honest.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I'd have to agree with Meddle, although I really like TFC as well.

Favorite song is hands down Fearless.
andhoce
Embryo
Embryo

Post by andhoce »

Hello
Is there book with all lyrics of Pink Floyd?

Where can be bought?

Best regards,
Andrej
Eliardo1
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Eliardo1 »

I agree with you Meddle fans. It’s beautiful. One of these days is great and contemporary. It’s heavy metal, it could easily be used as electronic piece for Trance Festivals. It has punch. It’s wonderful.
I also like Fearless and Saint Tropez. And Echoes is brilliant (though that part of The whales could have been shorter for my taste). So, Meddle.
I also like AMLOR.