DSOTM 50th anniversary

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Beckettp
Embryo
Embryo

DSOTM 50th anniversary

Post by Beckettp »

I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I wondered what people thought we might get for the anniversary

A couple of years ago Nick Mason said they would be doing something to celebrate it, but hadn't decided what yet. He said that also there could be opportunities to release the music in new sound formats (or something along those lines).

Clearly, there will be a box set and probably some stand alone releases. The whole of 74 live is a definite, I think, but what could they do with DSOTM itself sound-wise - Dolby Atmos? The word "also" might mean that something was being considered other than a re-released version of the album or release of archive material from the era.

This seems to be born out by what Po Powell let slip earlier in the year about the anniversary in an interview with an Italian newspaper. Translated from Italian, he said that he is working with the Floyds on "an enormous project" that will be "something special", that involves Italy, but he is not allowed to say anymore.

In later interviews, he described the project as "global", "extravagant" and "quite a thing". Also dropped in a mention of the pyramids, but with no context.

It's probably only 5-6 months away from being announced, whatever it is! What do people think?
PinkFloydCollectors
Embryo
Embryo

Re: DSOTM 50th anniversary

Post by PinkFloydCollectors »

Rumours are a live lp from 73, only DSOTM material though ;(
Beckettp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Beckettp »

Putting what Po has said aside, I do not think there is anything that can be released from the archives, even a complete Brighton 72 film, that will cut it for any sort of proper celebration of such an iconic album.

A live gig is unlikely, unless it is for a cause such as Ukraine and that is likely to be before March 23 and centred around Hey Hey Rise Up rather than DSOTM.

I believe something big is being planned but I can't get my head round what it could be. Back to Po, it is is possible he is hyping up something he is involved in, but no box set or other release could really be described as "global" or "extravagant" or "quite something", could it?

Could it be a multimedia representation of the album taking place at different locations around the world or some sort of ABBA type show (but without the avatars!)? This could then be released as a blu ray film or even be put on in cinemas. Any thoughts?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The complete set from Wembley 74 as a release is what we could most likely get
Beckettp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Beckettp »

Yes. I think 74 live is a definite. And this will probably be a stand alone release at some point in 2023

Regarding recordings from 1972-73, what evidence is there of anything in the archives that is good enough to put in a box set?

Incidentally, is it likely that Roger will release his Dark Side tour film, if that has not been shelved altogether?