DSOTM 50th anniversary

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Beckettp
Embryo
Embryo

DSOTM 50th anniversary

Post by Beckettp »

I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I wondered what people thought we might get for the anniversary

A couple of years ago Nick Mason said they would be doing something to celebrate it, but hadn't decided what yet. He said that also there could be opportunities to release the music in new sound formats (or something along those lines).

Clearly, there will be a box set and probably some stand alone releases. The whole of 74 live is a definite, I think, but what could they do with DSOTM itself sound-wise - Dolby Atmos? The word "also" might mean that something was being considered other than a re-released version of the album or release of archive material from the era.

This seems to be born out by what Po Powell let slip earlier in the year about the anniversary in an interview with an Italian newspaper. Translated from Italian, he said that he is working with the Floyds on "an enormous project" that will be "something special", that involves Italy, but he is not allowed to say anymore.

In later interviews, he described the project as "global", "extravagant" and "quite a thing". Also dropped in a mention of the pyramids, but with no context.

It's probably only 5-6 months away from being announced, whatever it is! What do people think?
PinkFloydCollectors
Axe
Axe

Re: DSOTM 50th anniversary

Post by PinkFloydCollectors »

Rumours are a live lp from 73, only DSOTM material though ;(
Beckettp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Beckettp »

Putting what Po has said aside, I do not think there is anything that can be released from the archives, even a complete Brighton 72 film, that will cut it for any sort of proper celebration of such an iconic album.

A live gig is unlikely, unless it is for a cause such as Ukraine and that is likely to be before March 23 and centred around Hey Hey Rise Up rather than DSOTM.

I believe something big is being planned but I can't get my head round what it could be. Back to Po, it is is possible he is hyping up something he is involved in, but no box set or other release could really be described as "global" or "extravagant" or "quite something", could it?

Could it be a multimedia representation of the album taking place at different locations around the world or some sort of ABBA type show (but without the avatars!)? This could then be released as a blu ray film or even be put on in cinemas. Any thoughts?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The complete set from Wembley 74 as a release is what we could most likely get
Beckettp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Beckettp »

Yes. I think 74 live is a definite. And this will probably be a stand alone release at some point in 2023

Regarding recordings from 1972-73, what evidence is there of anything in the archives that is good enough to put in a box set?

Incidentally, is it likely that Roger will release his Dark Side tour film, if that has not been shelved altogether?
Beckettp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Beckettp »

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... ets-page-2

Found this interview with Nick Mason from September 2020, a lot of which is about surround sound releases. He says that he would like to see DSOTM in Dolby Atmos and thinks that Chris Thomas should have a go at any remix.

In another interview this year, he mentioned that Thomas should be included in celebrations, but did not say what he might do.

If the other two are in agreement (and Mason says it could take 50 years to get that agreement!), it looks like a Dolby Atmos version of DSOTM is on the cards, possibly done by Thomas. And perhaps a stereo remix by him. Perhaps he can improve on the original using today's technology.
Beckettp
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Beckettp »

https://www.kshe95.com/real-rock-news/p ... the-works/

It looks as though Po is still working on the big project he alluded to about 6 months ago. Still can't get my head round what the plans could involve. Something like the recent Battersea event but on a much bigger scale? And he is talking about a year of celebrations. Any ideas?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

So...the Immersion boxed set wasn't good enough for us punters?

No wonder Gilmour would occasionally tell us to feck off.
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

Beckettp wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:26 am https://www.kshe95.com/real-rock-news/p ... the-works/

It looks as though Po is still working on the big project he alluded to about 6 months ago. Still can't get my head round what the plans could involve. Something like the recent Battersea event but on a much bigger scale? And he is talking about a year of celebrations. Any ideas?
He may be talking about this book that is on pre-order, which (from the description) will be a 12X12 mostly visual document on the album: https://www.thamesandhudsonusa.com/book ... -hardcover
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

On top of Roger's thing, the mix from this is coming for vinyl
https://www.loudersound.com/news/pink-f ... nd-blu-ray
It says it's the 50th mix. I'm pretty Dark Sided out! Just sticking with my whatever made CD was made!
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:06 pm On top of Roger's thing, the mix from this is coming for vinyl
It says it's the 50th mix. I'm pretty Dark Sided out! Just sticking with my whatever made CD was made!
I"m waiting to see a cost on this re-release of Dark Side.

I have an early 80's vinyl pressing...and it sounds amazing. The 74 live edition also sounds very good, which makes me interested in this new remaster. We shall see and I promise nothing!

But I'm getting ready to pull out a credit card.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:06 pm On top of Roger's thing, the mix from this is coming for vinyl
It's just the original stereo mix, but with the new 5.1 and Atmos remixes. Bit of a misleading headline as it suggests a brand new stereo mix too.
Not that I'd want a new stereo mix of Dark Side. If it ain't broke...
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

50 years in a heartbeat.

The ATMOS Blu-ray has arrived and it's incredible. I ran the included 'pink noise' check to confirm the speakers were OK and then hit play. Amazing details and a real joy to re-hear an old favourite in yet another format.

Odd printing error in the booklet as the lyrics start on page 14 with 'The Great Gig in the Sky' followed by 'Money', 'Us and Them', 'Any Colour You Like', then 'Brain Damage' and 'Eclipse', next page it's 'Speak To Me', 'Breathe (In the Air)', 'On The Run' and 'Time' ... no big issue, I know the words by heart.

The Blu-ray (A/B/C) features an interesting 57m15s ambient piece to accompany the menu. The screen saver type image fades to a black pyramid and then spins and is a little reminiscent of the big hologram display at the exhibition. The black pyramid fades to a yellow triangle with wavy rainbow lines and full-effect 5.1 sounds spinning around the room ... well worth a listen.

EDIT: the ambient piece can be accessed, as file 00000, and played (in stereo) from the /BDMV/PLAYLIST folder on my PC
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Has anyone listened to the 50th remix in an A/B with the original?

I have a fourth or fifth USA pressing of the vinyl.

is it worth it to get this one?
Niebla de Fuego
Axe
Axe

Post by Niebla de Fuego »

twcc wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:18 pm ...
Odd printing error in the booklet as the lyrics start on page 14 with 'The Great Gig in the Sky' followed by 'Money', 'Us and Them', 'Any Colour You Like', then 'Brain Damage' and 'Eclipse', next page it's 'Speak To Me', 'Breathe (In the Air)', 'On The Run' and 'Time' ... no big issue, I know the words by heart.
Noticed that too.. And it doesn't even seem like a printing error (pages are correctly numbered) but a major design flaw. Sure, we old fans know the correct order, and say "that's alright, I know the songs by heart". But it just shouldn't happen. Not if there's a bit of quality control. If that had happened 50 years ago all covers would have been recalled and correct ones would have been printed.

Well, the original LP gatefold had the typo "your hands of my stack" instead of "off my stack", and it wasn't corrected until very recently. It was just a single letter. But changing the song order in the book is far more serious. It shouldn't happen in this times where there are plenty of chances of such flop to be caught.

Seems like all important Pink Floyd releases are subject to some kind of curse where flaws are deemed to appear. The many errors in the Oh By the Way boxset, the self-destructing discs of the Immersion boxsets, some less than ideal audio sources in the Early Years boxset... just to name some.