What's your favorite keyboard used by Rick?

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!

What's your favorite keyboard used by Rick?

Farfisa organ (late '60 and early '70. On The Endless River too)
36%
Hammond Organ (from early '70)
20%
Acoustic piano
9%
Electric piano: Wurlitzer (ObC, DSoM), Fender Rhode (from mid '70) , and Honher Clavinet (on WYWH and Animals)
9%
Analog Synthesiser: VCS-3 (early and mid '70), Mini Moog (from DSotM to Animals), Arp Solina & Quadra, Prophet 5 (late '70)
24%
Digital Synthesiser: Roland JX-10 ('80) and Kurzweil ('80 & '90)
2%

Total votes: 45

penguinzzz
Axe
Axe

Re: What's your favorite keyboard used by Rick?

Post by penguinzzz »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:32 am
The pairing of instruments is interesting on Dark Side, because he always uses the Wurlitzer with the Farfisa, and the Rhodes with the Hammond - if you swap those pairs on any of the songs, they would sound drastically different.
I'm fairly sure those pairings are only used on two songs - 'Breathe' = Rhodes + Hammond, 'Time' = Wurlitzer + Farfisa - so this seems a rather expansive statement based on so little. Not that I'm quibbling about Wright's impeccable taste.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:41 am Which keyboard did he use to make that mournful sound in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part I" and "Part IX"? Because whichever one that was, that.
The intro to Shine On I think was an ARP Solina.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

moodyblue wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:28 pm The intro to Shine On I think was an ARP Solina.
The main sound of the chords was created by recording wine glasses at various pitches on separate tracks, then using the mixer to "play" the chords. Fun fact: Dick Parry played the Solina from backstage on the '77 tour.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:50 pm
moodyblue wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:28 pm The intro to Shine On I think was an ARP Solina.
The main sound of the chords was created by recording wine glasses at various pitches on separate tracks, then using the mixer to "play" the chords.
Well the specific keyboard I meant is the one doing the brass-sounding lead over the wine glasses, which is why I added "Part IX" there because I'm fairly sure it's the same keyboard.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:28 pm Well the specific keyboard I meant is the one doing the brass-sounding lead over the wine glasses, which is why I added "Part IX" there because I'm fairly sure it's the same keyboard.
That would be the Minimoog. The Solina has rarely been used as a lead instrument, such as on Bowie's "Sound and Vision". It essentially has one sound, and is heard on "Welcome to the Machine", "Dogs", and others, always playing chords.
JohnColtrane
Embryo
Embryo

Post by JohnColtrane »

As a young lad, the tones that came out of Ricks Farfisa could paint a whole collage of colour and texture. He could conjure up almost Hammer Horror in one track, then to pastoral English gentility on other tracks (such as the Scarecrow). For me the best part about Ricks playing was the explorative scales he used to do, almost finding his way through solos, not bolting them down or finessing them too much - allowing room for creative freedom. This is one of the reasons I've always loved the album "More". He's generating all sorts of improvised sounds and committing that play to tape.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:41 am Which keyboard did he use to make that mournful sound in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part I" and "Part IX"? Because whichever one that was, that.
This has never been explained or revealed with any accuracy.
I've seen an ARP Solina mentioned but to my mind, there's more to that sound than just that synth.