Syd traveled 50 miles to his mother’s house – on foot.

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Syd traveled 50 miles to his mother’s house – on foot.

Post by space triangle »

A first time I've heard of this one peculiar and ''crazy' story:

''Leaving London for the last time the onetime pop star Syd Barrett set out for his mother’s house in Cambridge. This time, he made the 50-mile trek on foot. “I was not surprised at the time about him walking, he was capable of anything,” his sister Rosemary Breen told. “I do remember he had some huge blisters on his feet that took a while to heal!”

Poor man. :( Shine on crazy diamond.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Syd traveled 50 miles to his mother’s house – on foot.

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I hope we never get that sort of mania. But that doesn't seem uncommon in mental illness accounts. Huge walks. Nick Drake and Robert Calvert were said to have done similar, not necessarily to their Mother's houses.
So he left everything behind he had or was he carrying somethings?
The biggest "ARGH!!" of Syd after the split for me was about late 70's/early 80's (can't find book!) where he just gave a stack of home recordings to a Porter he'd acquainted, who then lost the tapes as the Porter tried something on in a changing room! That London, eh? And I bet you those people would still accuse your area of being the bigger group of thieves!
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:02 pmSo he left everything behind he had or was he carrying somethings?
''Syd gave away furniture, televisions, guitars and even session tapes before packing a select few belongings into a small carrier bag. Leaving behind only a hamper of dirty laundry, the onetime pop star set out for his mother’s house in Cambridge''.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

The thing I thought about this is that unless Syd walked quite fast, he would probably be out overnight. I wonder what happened there.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Annoying Twit wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:10 pm The thing I thought about this is that unless Syd walked quite fast, he would probably be out overnight. I wonder what happened there.
Amphetamines? Slept in a field? Those would be par for the course.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Kerry King wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:09 amSlept in a field?
Pretending to be a scarecrow?

The black and green scarecrow as everyone knows
Stood with a bird on his hat and straw everywhere
He didn't care
He stood in a field where barley grows
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Post by WebBrown »

It is called "controlled folly" and not some state of mental illness ... He just did not care for anything else ...

"a man of knowledge has no honor, no dignity, no family, no name, no country, but only life to be lived, and under these circumstances his only tie to his fellow men is his controlled folly."
C.Castaneda