Haven't seen this in over 40 years...

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.
mosespa

Haven't seen this in over 40 years...

Post by mosespa »

I can remember wandering into the living room of my Uncle's house back in late '79 or early '80 and seeing this on the tv, I wouldn't see it again until I found it late last year...anyone else remember it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Iav4Bckw8
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Haven't seen this is over 40 years...

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

It wasn't that I'm familiar with the movie. I must have been five. But the shot of the Teacher seemed to have stuck with me. Like it was the first time I'd saw it before the video for Part 2.
My elder brother got the single seemingly from out of nowhere so if he saw the advert, I probably did.
Great find!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I liked the alternative mixes of the wall songs in the movie. Can't quite remember which songs exactly as I'm too old to remember. Haha
WebBrown
Axe
Axe

Re: Haven't seen this in over 40 years...

Post by WebBrown »

I didnot saw a video at the time it was produced, but I very well remember both, a video and esspecially those teachers in junior school as constant feeling of sorrow and despair keeping us docile and obidient ... Damn I am, again ...
Aqualung
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Aqualung »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:51 am I liked the alternative mixes of the wall songs in the movie. Can't quite remember which songs exactly as I'm too old to remember. Haha
IIRC they added When the Tigers Broke Free and What Shall We Do Now? I remember them playing that one at Earls Court hoping it would be the first of a few unreleased tracks :roll: :lol: The longer version of Another Brick pt 3 was exciting too.

On the topic of old videos I remember having one with a few tracks off the Wall. Very British 70s vibe to it. My memory could be failing but I think I had one with a few tracks from the Final Cut too. Probably still have them somewhere.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:51 am I liked the alternative mixes of the wall songs in the movie. Can't quite remember which songs exactly as I'm too old to remember. Haha
Mother is a really nice different version in the movie, can´t remember any other changed songs right now.. (getting old too...)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Well...technically, everything got remixed...but:

"When The Tigers Broke Free" got cut in half (of course.)
"In The Flesh?" has a technically shortened by one beat first measure, then the repeat of the opening ascending climb is a "new" thing, comparatively speaking.
"The Thin Ice" has the instrumental, piano-only opening.
"Brick One" has no major changes, but you can tell that it's been remixed for cinema sound systems
"The Happiest Days Of Our Lives" is notably remixed for cinema and the section between "any way they could" and "but in the town" is lengthened/looped in order to be faded out and then back in for the Schoolmaster's reprimand of Pink.
"Brick Two" is remixed for cinema with some editing of the guitar phrases between lines in the second verse, with the Schoomaster's pudding rant in between the lines.
"Mother" a complete re-recording (except for the guitar solo section, which is still remixed for cinema and fades out before the next verse begins.)
"Goodbye Blue Sky" strikes me as a re-recording simply because the "oooh" sections each lose one repetition, which is in line with the original album lyrics sheets. Weird. Sound effects added to it, dropping bombs and such.
"What Shall We Do Now?" with "Empty Spaces" gone entirely (the first casualty of the original running order,) we get this, which doesn't sound like it was recorded at the same time of the rest of the album; but I could be wrong.
"Young Lust" is remixed for cinema with extra Roger screams at the ending.
"One Of My Turns" the only real change (aside from CineMix, as I'm now going to be calling it,) is the groupie bit being done by Jenny Wright on set.
"Don't Leave Me Now" cuts immediately from the first "don't leave me now" to "how could you go..." completely losing "don't say it's the end of the road/remember the flowers I sent/I need you, Babe/To put through the shredder in front of my friends/Ooooh Babe, don't leave me now..." but aside from that, this is one track where they could otherwise have simply dropped the album cut without putting it through CineMix.
"Brick 3" is either a complete re-recording or an alternate take; it's absolutely not the album version, however.
"Goodbye Cruel World" could be the original album track, I don't detect any major differences.

"Hey You" is cut entirely.
"Is There Anybody Out There" sounds like it could be a remix with added tympani thuds and a completely different acoustic guitar coda.
"Vera" sounds like it could be the original track, just CineMixed.
"Bring The Boys Back Home" is a complete re-recording.
"Comfortably Numb" gets CineMixed and aside from additional screams by Roger at the end, that's about it.
"The Show Must Go On" doesn't go on. Go figure. *shrug*
"In The Flesh" is a complete re-recording.
"Run Like Hell" gets the CineMix treatment and an interesting edit where the keyboard solo plays over the second verse. We don't get the breakdown with screeching tires and maniacal laughter near the end, though.
"Waiting For The Worms" loses the whole first verse, cutting from the intro right to the middle section. Some sound effects are dubbed and it sounds CineMixed, but it's still essentially the album track.
"Stop" is completely re-recorded.
"The Trial" is CineMixed, but other than that (and a greatly extended opening,) it seems to be the original album track.
"Outside The Wall" is a complete re-recording...I think it's even in a different key from the album version.

And all of that was just off the top of my head, lol

While stoned (weed's legal where I live, now.)

And at 1 in the morning.

I'm also significantly more elderly than you lot (52, now.) You guys just didn't watch the movie enough. :P :P :P :P
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

mosespa wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:28 am

I'm also significantly more elderly than you lot (52, now.) You guys just didn't watch the movie enough. :P :P :P :P
Thinking about it I realised I haven´t seen it for at least 15 years... time for a rewatch i guess.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yucateco wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:50 am Thinking about it I realised I haven´t seen it for at least 15 years... time for a rewatch i guess.
15 years??

There's NO WAY you're a TRUE Pink Floyd fan! <ii> <ii> <ii> <ii>
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

mosespa wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:12 pm
Yucateco wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:50 am Thinking about it I realised I haven´t seen it for at least 15 years... time for a rewatch i guess.
15 years??

There's NO WAY you're a TRUE Pink Floyd fan! <ii> <ii> <ii> <ii>
Ssshhhh! Don´t tell Polly or she might send an angry tweet in my direction! :-;
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

*looks for the "Like" button*

*remembers that this isn't Facebook and leaves a pointless post, instead*
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

I'm too old to remember. Haha
[/quote]

I'm forever young. Nerver too old to Rock n roll.
I rember a plastic notebook frames with The Dark Side Of the Moon prism on it. I was very proud having it in the school. \:D/