The Importance of Roger Waters

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Importance of Roger Waters

Post by Keith Jordan »

Roger was shunned by a magazine recently and didn't have his epic concert covered in Canada last week as they didn't have someone available as they were covering other... lesser artists. It would appear Roger is struggling to let it go! :lol:

Watch > https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgYgvD1lm9 ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Screen capture
Screenshot_20220724-072330_Instagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Importance of Roger Waters

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Keith Jordan wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:29 am they were covering other... lesser artists.
I find this a somewhat redundant statement, to be honest.
I agree that members of Pink Floyd should continue to get coverage for their shows, but the fact of the matter is that The Weeknd and Drake are far more likely to be reported on due to a) them being more active with releasing new material at the moment and b) Drake being from Canada and this being a Canadian magazine (I presume from the concert location).
This isn't to say I'm huge on Drake or the Weeknd. While I personally don't mind The Weeknd and would go so far as to say that his album After Hours is pretty good (especially its lead single "Blinding Lights") I have never understood the interest in Drake. But at this stage... it makes sense to me that the magazine would be more interested in covering current artists.
That being said, Waters' irritation is understandable. But posting this is in extremely bad form. Other members of Pink Floyd have been able to swallow their pride and step aside for the younger generation (I seem to remember Nick Mason saying he was keen on Harry Styles and even expressed an interest in drumming for him on the road) so it's super frustrating to see Waters lashing out like this and trying to go "up yours I'm better than you".
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:44 am
Keith Jordan wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:29 am they were covering other... lesser artists.
I find this a somewhat redundant statement, to be honest.
I agree that members of Pink Floyd should continue to get coverage for their shows, but the fact of the matter is that The Weeknd and Drake are far more likely to be reported on due to a) them being more active with releasing new material at the moment and b) Drake being from Canada and this being a Canadian magazine (I presume from the concert location).
This isn't to say I'm huge on Drake or the Weeknd. While I personally don't mind The Weeknd and would go so far as to say that his album After Hours is pretty good (especially its lead single "Blinding Lights") I have never understood the interest in Drake. But at this stage... it makes sense to me that the magazine would be more interested in covering current artists.
That being said, Waters' irritation is understandable. But posting this is in extremely bad form. Other members of Pink Floyd have been able to swallow their pride and step aside for the younger generation (I seem to remember Nick Mason saying he was keen on Harry Styles and even expressed an interest in drumming for him on the road) so it's super frustrating to see Waters lashing out like this and trying to go "up yours I'm better than you".
Roger cant because of his ego and he thinks he is more important then everyone
PinkFloydCollectors
Axe
Axe

Post by PinkFloydCollectors »

I think he was saying his message is more important but as usual people let the context fit their own bias..
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Importance doesn't need to insist upon itself.

'nuff said
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

PinkFloydCollectors wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:35 am I think he was saying his message is more important but as usual people let the context fit their own bias..
Precisely. Also, at the start, the interviewer said that they were going to originally interview the Weekend, thus implying that Roger is less important. And it is definitely out of context; he would have been saying his MESSAGE is more important... and it is. Nonetheless, Roger is more important then both of them. I'd like to see them write masterpieces as amazing like DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall and TFC.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:03 am Also, at the start, the interviewer said that they were going to originally interview the Weekend, thus implying that Roger is less important.
Yeah, because the Weeknd is about to go on tour. Makes total sense to me that a current day music magazine would be more interested in interviewing a current day artist as he sets out on tour to support his two most recent albums.
And the thing about his message is also probably grandstanding too. The article says that it started on him saying he has no idea who the Weeknd is in response to him getting the news coverage, then brings up Drake for no apparent reason to drag his name too. This isn't the message of a dignified man. It's a temper tantrum.
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:03 am Roger is more important than both of them.
"Importance" is impossible to quantify. Albums like Dark Side and Animals are of course giants in the music industry, and I will make anyone who will listen (and lots of people who won't) hear them because they are phenomenal pieces of work. But at the end of the day, as I said earlier, it's a new age. And current artists are just going to take priority over older ones. It might be annoying to some, but it is what it is.
And that's not even touching on how "importance", on the personal level, becomes increasingly subjective. In my life, Pink Floyd is the most important band in the world, because their music gave me solace and opened my eyes to all sorts of things. But to someone else, After Hours (a concept album where the Weeknd works through his struggle with mental health and stardom) might be more important, because it means more to them. So to sit there and suggest that your message is objectively more important than someone else's is to indulge in an almost fatal amount of hubris.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:09 am
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:03 am Also, at the start, the interviewer said that they were going to originally interview the Weekend, thus implying that Roger is less important.
Yeah, because the Weeknd is about to go on tour. Makes total sense to me that a current day music magazine would be more interested in interviewing a current day artist as he sets out on tour to support his two most recent albums.
And the thing about his message is also probably grandstanding too. The article says that it started on him saying he has no idea who the Weeknd is in response to him getting the news coverage, then brings up Drake for no apparent reason to drag his name too. This isn't the message of a dignified man. It's a temper tantrum.
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:03 am Roger is more important than both of them.
"Importance" is impossible to quantify. Albums like Dark Side and Animals are of course giants in the music industry, and I will make anyone who will listen (and lots of people who won't) hear them because they are phenomenal pieces of work. But at the end of the day, as I said earlier, it's a new age. And current artists are just going to take priority over older ones. It might be annoying to some, but it is what it is.
And that's not even touching on how "importance", on the personal level, becomes increasingly subjective. In my life, Pink Floyd is the most important band in the world, because their music gave me solace and opened my eyes to all sorts of things. But to someone else, After Hours (a concept album where the Weeknd works through his struggle with mental health and stardom) might be more important, because it means more to them. So to sit there and suggest that your message is objectively more important than someone else's is to indulge in an almost fatal amount of hubris.
If I'm going to be honest, I didn't think of this. In todays music, yes, The Weeknd and Drake are more important, just as Pink Floyd would have been more important than the Beatles in the 70's when the Beatles were no longer releasing and Pink Floyd were releasing frequently. But I do believe that as a whole, Pink Floyd and Roger Waters' contribution to the music industry is more important than theirs... by which I mean more revolutionary. But that is just my opinion. However, I do belive Roger was saying that his message is more important, which, if you think about it, it is... I think what he has said has been taken out of context, as has a lot of other things he has said (it is easy to take his words out of context, after all). In my opinion, Pink Floyd and Roger Waters on his own (along with the rest of Pink Floyd) has been more important to me and my life than The Weekend and Drake. However, it is up to interpretation.