Robert Wyatt & Soft Machine

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Well, it's just because I have an exquisite taste in music :lol:

Now I own around 600 CDs with very different rock music, plus a collection of MP3s; on the other hand my brother has already a huge collection of his own as well, and in my parents' house there are also some great LPs and CDs (mainly jazz, but also 60s-70s rock), so I can always borrow something from them. And I have some great on-line and off-line friends, who help me to get what I'd like to have..... :D
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Anna-Roza wrote:...Now I own around 600 CDs with very different rock music, plus a collection of MP3s... And I have some great on-line and off-line friends, who help me to get what I'd like to have..... :D
Sounds like heaven to me but I guess I'm on my way to 600 CDs aswell, but a rough count summs up to 500 mainly pop, some 200 classical esp. Beethoven and classical guitar music.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Well, I strted buying, trading and copying :oops: CDs and cassettes when I was around twelve, and it's always been rock music.... That's why now I have quite a lot of them (but I wish they all were original....)
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Anna-Roza wrote:Well, I strted buying, trading and copying :oops: CDs and cassettes when I was around twelve... That's why now I have quite a lot of them (but I wish they all were original....)
Most of mine are original (I'm proud to say), but I guess we're getting a bit off topic... So see you around on other threads Anna-Roza. :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Prkl wrote:***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
What's there on your avatar?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Anna-Roza wrote:Well, it's just because I have an exquisite taste in music :lol:

Now I own around 600 CDs with very different rock music, plus a collection of MP3s; on the other hand my brother has already a huge collection of his own as well, and in my parents' house there are also some great LPs and CDs (mainly jazz, but also 60s-70s rock), so I can always borrow something from them. And I have some great on-line and off-line friends, who help me to get what I'd like to have..... :D
WOW!!!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Yep, a cool band
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Does anyone have the Icicle Works cover of Robert Wyatt's Sea Song. I've been looking for it some time now,
but I can't find it. I used to have it on cassette, recorded from the radio YEARS ago... In my memory it was quite nice,
very bombastic... But memories can make things more pretty than they actually are :wink:
Spock
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Spock »

Soft machine is a great band,no doubt!
Robert Wyatt and Brian Eno's album is worth a listen for sure.
I think that at allofmp3.com,you might be able to DL the Soft Machine's
later albums for free. 8)
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

Last edited by bpmolder on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I've just downloaded the fiirst 2 Soft's albums from a site and I still got all the others to go, been a hell of a time since i sat down and listened to them, they sure were way ahead of there time.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Spock,

It is quite interesting that you posted an attachment of a photograph of Jimi Hendrix because Soft Machine toured with The Expeirence during their 1967 European tour.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I accidentally downloaded the 1st 2 Soft Machine albums as well as Jet Propelled (volume 0), cuz a the Daevid Allen involvement in that one
also Wyatts End of an Ear and the Matching Mole records

I think theyre sort of like Genesis/Gabriel, in that I have no interest in what they did after Wyatt left
his bizarre idea of singing supposedly was to replace the melodic role of lead guitar after Allen left, his songs are often wordless, pastiches of pop cliches, or selfreferential (eg "this is the first verse of the song and this is the chorus or maybe its the bridge or just another key change...")
theyre also like the Yardbirds in that they spawned three mad visionaries (Allen, Ayers, Wyatt) like the Yardbirds spawned three blues guitar heroes

what about these other Canterbury bands?
Caravan seems to be Soft Machines fraternal twin, in a historical sense, are they any good?
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

I've been a fan for a long time ('cause I've been around for a long time! Yikes!). I've actually done some work for him. I've done some credited work on two of his records (sorry kids...CD's!). One was a compilation of acetates by one of his earliest bands called The Wildeflowers. The other one was called Nothing Can Stop Us . One of my oldest and bestest friends, Mike King, wrote what I think is probably the definitive book on the man. It's called Wrong Movements. Pick it up, if you can. Mike is a really dedicated musicologist and I personally couldn't imagine anyone who could have been more suited to the task.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

say thats pretty cool 2066
what did you do? graphics?
I accidentally downloaded that WildeFlowers album too
thats the band that bifurcated into Soft Machine and Caravan

now i know my HogtownHomeboy worked on that album Im going to be sure to buy a real copy next time I see it

also theres the even earlier Daevid Allen Trio, with Wyatt on drums (and I think Hoppers the third part of the trio), when Allen was doing his Beat poet schtick