Did i tell you the name of the game?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Did i tell you the name of the game?

Post by David Smith »

Ok, here's the game, i'm the first person to post this so I do the first step, i'll begin by reviewing The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and the next person to read this has to review the next album, but before hand, give a sentance to say if the last person shares your opinion (so next up does SFOS, next again does UG, always commenting on the review before hand.) Each album must be given a mark out of 5.

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn- ***

This album is Syd Barret all the way, and what a way to start. Astronomy Domain is a trip, a very haughnting and moody trip with a great melody e.t.c. This is Syd's masterpeice in many ways. The album keeps with this trend with Lucifer Sam and peaks on Matilda Mother. However, from here it's a bit downhill.

Intersteller Overdrive is the only song that follows to match the high standards of the albums beginings, but before that's reached one must listen to Pow r. Touc h. The album reaches a low with Roger's first song, Take Thy Stephescope And Walk. The finale of the album is nothing special, the song Chapter 24 has promise, but never quite reaches it's potentiol. The Gnome and Scarecrow are average and the less said about bike the better.

The album is a child garden of acid, but Syd, you never quite understood what made the later Floyd good, their inovativity without exposing obvious inspirations (can you say Love or Cream?)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

So come one, lets reach Division Bell, did i mention, Pulse and DSOT count, but no greatest hits records. And remember, always comment on the last review as you do yours, and also, always try and progress the cycle, we don't want to many reviews of The Wal or anything.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I agree with your review of Piper. It was innovative and childlike at the same time; a classic in Rock history. With the loss of Syd after this album, many people believe that Pink floyd ceased to exist. I beg to differ!

Saucerful of Secrets ****

This was a very pivitol album for The Pink Floyd. Syd's state was getting worse and Roger needed to finish this album. He was now the boss so to speak and he did an admirable job. I think Syd was maybe on 2 or 3 tunes including what I would consider as one of the best pop tunes of all time" Jugband Blues" . A very haunting song to be sure. Tunes like "Remember a day" and "See Saw" seem like leftovers from Piper. What is real important about this album is the addition of Dave Gilmour on guitar. He was a true musician and his contribution was felt rightaway and the groundwork was layed for years to come. Tunes like ASFOS and Set the controls were concert staples for years and begun what is considered to be there"experimental stage". This was the beginning of a New Pink Floyd.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Sigh, just to speed things up i'll do Umma Gumma.

Oh by the way, the review of ASFOS was on my opinion, correct, but i would have mentioned that Corporal Clegg is among the worst ever Pink Floyd songs.

Umma Gumma- ***

Ok, Umma Gumma is a double CD, one CD is a live disk, and the other, a sudio album.

The studio disk ranges from terrible to ok. Nothing manages to reach the heights of the previous albums and the only thing to come close in Grandchester Meadow by Roger Waters. Nick Mason does a particularly dull peice that goes on to long, Dave's just goes nowhere and Rick's is instantly forgettible. The track Several Small Species... is also sparse and unproductive. Very strange though.

The Lives disk though is a different story. Astronomy Domaine is the highlight, and that's not to say the other songs are bad. All the tracks are brilliant, in saying that can anyone remember Careful With That Axe Eugene atall? I barely can.

Ultimatly, the live sick is good, but i think you would be stretched to appreciate the studio album, for true Floyd fans only.

P.S Don't do More next, just go straught to Atom Heart Mother.
djproject
Axe
Axe

Post by djproject »

i like ummagumma (both discs) but you are right about the studio disc being for true fans (or at least the daring ones).

atom heart mother-***

this is the beginning of the floyd as many of us will know. the a-side title track is entirely devoted to a long piece made of six distinct sections using the band and ron geesin's orchestrations. the b-side has songs by three of the members and another long piece (half of the title track in time length).

the title track shows their beginnings in working with long concepts, although the concept isn't very clear and it's more music then music and lyrics (like dsotm). however we have to start somewhere. the individual songs are considered the best amongst fans (particularly 'summer 68' and my own favorite gilmour song 'fat old sun'). 'alan's psychedelic breakfast' is probably teh main foundation that will build into their later works: collaborative instrumentation amongst the band, use of sound effects and the studio creatively and a continual piece.

all in all, it's a start (the reason for the stars) but it's a good start.

coming up next: meddle (skip relics)
Furious
Knife
Knife

Meddle

Post by Furious »

You guys don't mind if a newbie takes the reignsat this point? =D

Meddle **** 1/2 (:p)

I'm biased, but Echoes is my favourite album

Meddle starts off with a common sound - Wind, this wind turns into a bass riff. the bass riff gains extra musical aspects, and so on. After Mason's 'vocal', its a studio jam session. nothing more, nothing less. Stilla fun song, however. reminds me of Eugene, just with Gilmours guitar doing the screaming.

The next 4 tracks arewhat i considerto be 'fillers'. we've got a great jam tackedonto the front of the album, and Echoes, taking a full side at the end. but, "Pillow of Winds"; a dreamy lullaby, "Fearless", "San Tropez" and "Seamus" have neverreally been used again by the band. I thinks "Seamus" was played at Pompeii under a different name.. correct me if I'm wrong.

The real centre piece of the album, and considered by me to be the greatest song ever produced by the band, takes up the entire B-Side (ha ha ha). Its a journey from start to finish, what i tend to call a 'watery dream-sequence', in that theres soft dream qualities, and, like an epic story, it builds up, climaxing twice. and ending perfectly.

One can definetly see the natural progression from AHM to DSotM, in 'Echoes'.

I just wish the seagulls didnt scream for four bloody minutes

who wants to review Dark Side? hehe :)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I agree with the meddle review, but i have to say fearless was great.

The Dark Side Of The Moon- *****

Ok, 'cause this got such low response i'll do this to, maybe some others will decide to contribute eventually (cheers to those that have.)

This is my favourite album ever by the way, so this review in no way will slag it. The only thing on this album that's not f*cking brilliant is On The Run, yet it's a creative breakthrough in synphesisers, and a work of art in it's on right.

Any album with the songs Time, Great Gig In The Sky, Money and Us And Them has to be great, and the fact that those 4 are all done in a row is a great triumph for Pink Floyd. Brain Damage and eclipse, the perfect ending songs, and don't even get me started on the wideness of breathe, ultimatly the best album ever!
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

Good review on DSOTM David, i agree, greatest album ever

Wish You Were Here

This is a great album, the first Pink Floyd album i ever owned. It starts out with a long instrumental piece where all of the band members are recognized for their musical talent, then hyperblasts into a very great, catchy tune that is an ode to Syd Barrett. Next is Welcome to the Machine, which in my opinion is a very cool song, with great vocals by what seems to be Gilmour and Waters. Have a Cigar is a good song, but not a good as welcome to the machine, it has great lyrics that are about record company executives with no soul. Roy Harper does a good job on vocals, and Daves guitar is good. Wish you were here is the best song on the album, and has some of the greatest lyrics ever. it was written more of a poem than a song, but Gilmour adds a simple, but effective guitar line. Next is the last part of shine on you crazy diamond, which i think is decent. i like the lyrics, but musically, i prefer the first half. there you go, this is a good thread and i thought i would bring it back up

Tommy
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

:? Ya I gotta agree with all you post, But what aboot all the stuff being skipped Relacs, more,zambiski point(Think i got on vinal)yet, obscured by clouds, a nice pair, (Chick without shirt on vinyl), on and on man. hay does any one else still got darkside or animals on 8track.
Animls *** man it aint the best floyd but, pig in a wing is cool than so is dogs, Sheeps prety nuts thehang on meet hooks things, The worst thing is 3 diffrent pigs. Is all good when your messed up man kinda like the dead, swans, smits(queen is dead),doors,moodys and on and on man. but hey Animils***
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

I've just gotta burst in with some star ratings.

Let's have a basic criteria, yeah?

***** = Classic.
**** = Excellent.
*** = Good.
** = Average.
* = Terrible.

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn *****
A Saucerful Of Secrets ****
Music From The Film More ***
Ummagumma **
Atom Heart Mother ***
Meddle ****
Obscured By Clouds ***
The Dark Side Of The Moon *****
Wish You Were Here ****
Animals ****
The Wall ****
The Final Cut ***
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason ***
Delicate Sound Of Thunder **
The Division Bell ***
P.u.l.s.e **

Had to get that out of my system! :roll:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ah good to see the thread was resurected

I have to disagree with the animals review, i LOVED that album.

The Wall *****

Words can't tell people enough about this album. As it begins the song In The Flesh assures me this won't just be another album. Roger's vocals shread the microphone as he tells us about the content of the rest of the album ("You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise") before a barrage of effects sweep in.

And this is much like how the first cd goes. Great lyrics that create true atmosphere and sense of character before a set of striking effects blow the listener away.

The album has a lot of recurring themes like the Another Brick In The Wall theme that takes up 3 songs on the first disc and offers a link to Pink's childhood and adulthood. Certain songs do let down the first disc (Don't leave me now and Young Lust come to mind) but as a whole the quality is immence.

Hey You begins CD 2 and with a powerful ABITW moment the song truely astounded me first time. Wow.

And CD 2 is definitly better than the first one, although it doesn't have mother it does have CN, NH, HY, WFTW, RLH, ITAOT and of course The Trial. The Trial has the best ending ever for a song and ultimatly finishes the story perfectly witht he amazingly powerful line "tear down the wall! " spoken by the judge character.

Sheer brilliance. Words don't describe the intense atmosphere and overall genius of the album.

Next, the final cut
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

The Final Cut is revered by diehard Pink Floyd fans and ignored by everyone else.

The album features the best recording work of any Pink Floyd album, including Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall. The production is sharp, dynamic, and crystal clear, and, unlike most Pink Floyd LPs, the musicianship is flawless.

The album is a meditation on themes that, by the album's release, had become familiar with fans of Pink Floyd: political hypocrisy, human relations, and the futility of war.

The steady, contemplative mood throughout the twelve songs is often mistaken for lack of melody, as if the narrative and lyrics have been paid more attention to than the music itself. It is true that the album is not as balanced and colourful as Piper, Dark Side or The Wall, but that doesn't matter when the album is taken as an individual piece. It has a fantastic sense of continuity, born out from the production, tracklisting and genuine emotion in Roger Waters' lyrics. The music reveals a new nuance on every listen. It is perfect for headphones.

'The Post War Dream', 'The Gunners Dream', 'Not Now John', 'Two Suns In The Sunset' and, in particular, the title track, all embody high emotion and moving melodies. The album is spectacularly underrated, often seen as indulgent and boring. In fact it is one of the most rewarding experiences from Pink Floyd.

Definitely a grower.
Last edited by Feeling Very Pink on Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I like your thoughts FeelingVeryPink. I think that album is not for entertainment purposes and is a great album. A great piece of commentary and source of inspiration for thought. :)
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

***** = Classic
**** = Excellent
*** = Good
** = Average
* = Terrible

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn ****
A Saucerful Of Secrets **
More **
Ummagumma *
Atom Heart Mother ***
Meddle ****
Obscured By Clouds ***1/2 (I can't justify giving it a four or a three)
The Dark Side Of The Moon *****
Wish You Were Here *****
Animals *****
The Wall *****
The Final Cut *****
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason *
Delicate Sound Of Thunder *
The Division Bell *
P.U.L.S.E. *
Is There Anybody Out There? ***** (By live-standards)
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

final cut

Post by grateful pink »

I agree with many f the previous re: final cut. Takes much listening to get the nuances. great production values.