Eddie Van Halen

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Eddie Van Halen

Post by floydrocks »

Anyone think this guy is totally overrated? Sure, he may have some good chops down and he can play fast, but most of his solos don't do anything for me.

On the other hand, he did write some good songs, but what really kept the band up is David Lee Roth, and when he left they weren't very good.

Another thing that gets me is that Eddie said that Zep guitarist Jimmy Page (one of my heroes-lol) had sloppy or inconsistent live playing. Bull! Page's live playing is exhilirating. In my opinion Pagey is better than ol' Van Halen. And Page actually plays, dosn't do a bunch of finger tap crap and dosn't play a 10 minute boring guitar solo like Eddie does (Now Zep may have had some bombast jams that went over 20 minutes...and I must say Bonham's 10 minute plus drum solos become boring very fast).

Not to say I don't like Eddie VH, or the group, it's just that this guy is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too overrated. One of the best guitarists in the world? Hell no! Look at Steve Howe from Yes and say that again!!!!!! :lol:
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Eddie Van Halen

Post by Useful Idiot »

floydrocks wrote:Not to say I don't like Eddie VH, or the group, it's just that this guy is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too overrated. One of the best guitarists in the world? Hell no! Look at Steve Howe from Yes and say that again!!!!!! :lol:
Yes, but Steve Howe is also one of the ugliest men alive, so it balances out in the end.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Useful Idiot wrote:
floydrocks wrote:Not to say I don't like Eddie VH, or the group, it's just that this guy is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too overrated. One of the best guitarists in the world? Hell no! Look at Steve Howe from Yes and say that again!!!!!! :lol:
Yes, but Steve Howe is also one of the ugliest men alive, so it balances out in the end.
:lol: Classic.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

floydrocks wrote:Anyone think this guy is totally overrated? Sure, he may have some good chops down and he can play fast, but most of his solos don't do anything for me.

On the other hand, he did write some good songs, but what really kept the band up is David Lee Roth, and when he left they weren't very good.

Another thing that gets me is that Eddie said that Zep guitarist Jimmy Page (one of my heroes-lol) had sloppy or inconsistent live playing. Bull! Page's live playing is exhilirating. In my opinion Pagey is better than ol' Van Halen. And Page actually plays, dosn't do a bunch of finger tap crap and dosn't play a 10 minute boring guitar solo like Eddie does (Now Zep may have had some bombast jams that went over 20 minutes...and I must say Bonham's 10 minute plus drum solos become boring very fast).

Not to say I don't like Eddie VH, or the group, it's just that this guy is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too overrated. One of the best guitarists in the world? Hell no! Look at Steve Howe from Yes and say that again!!!!!! :lol:
The live playing of Jimmy Page is sloppy and gross. It's like he has a broken hand. I had about 70 Zep Boots and all of them sucked big time because Jimmy Page was there. His guitar playing was so bad that when my brother ( A huge Zep fan) came in and heard it he took the CD out of the CD player and broke it so he'd never ave to hear it again. Eddie Van Halen is ok but a bit over rated.
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Post by floydrocks »

MikeWaters wrote:
floydrocks wrote:Anyone think this guy is totally overrated? Sure, he may have some good chops down and he can play fast, but most of his solos don't do anything for me.

The live playing of Jimmy Page is sloppy and gross. It's like he has a broken hand. I had about 70 Zep Boots and all of them sucked big time because Jimmy Page was there. His guitar playing was so bad that when my brother ( A huge Zep fan) came in and heard it he took the CD out of the CD player and broke it so he'd never ave to hear it again. Eddie Van Halen is ok but a bit over rated.
At least you agree with me that VH is overrated! As for Jimmy, well, I'll be damned if he dosn't make a lot of mistakes, but his confidence is so sure that it's fun to watch him play up there. BTW what Zep boots do you have? Just curious. And what exactly was making Pagey's guitar playing so bad?
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Post by floydrocks »

MikeWaters wrote:

At least you agree with me that VH is overrated! As for Jimmy, well, I'll be damned if he dosn't make a lot of mistakes, but his confidence is so sure that it's fun to watch him play up there. Also, he can "improvise in a way Eddie could never hope to achieve" (taken from an Amazon review.....I agree 100%). BTW what Zep boots do you have? Just curious. And what exactly was making Pagey's guitar playing so bad on 'em?
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

well I HAD these boots a while back. The only one that really catches my memory is Led Zeppelin 1972.10.05 - Kokaido - Nagoya, Japan. I just removed it from my trade list becasue its so bad. the others i gave a way to Die-hard fans about a year or two ago. Nothing against Jimmy. he is obviously a great guitarist. Just not live from what ive heard.
shesahellion
Knife
Knife

Post by shesahellion »

i have to agree, he does sound a bit sloppy live. i like his acoustic guitar playing better sometimes. it's not that i don't like him as a musician, he wrote some of the best music ever and his live improvisations are great. i'd take pagey over eddie van halen any day. (and david lee roth is a ponce.)
floydrocks
Knife
Knife

Post by floydrocks »

smartbrunette67 wrote:i have to agree, he does sound a bit sloppy live. i like his acoustic guitar playing better sometimes. it's not that i don't like him as a musician, he wrote some of the best music ever and his live improvisations are great. i'd take pagey over eddie van halen any day. (and david lee roth is a ponce.)
Haha! David Lee Roth is hilarious! :lol:

Now, again I'll say, it's not that I don't like Eddie VH or the band, it's just that I think he's way overrated and his solos aren't that great (some are though). Now I think Eddie made some great heavy riffs and the whole band was on fire the time they were together. They really didn't cut a bad album during the DLR era- they are all great. I enjoy listening to the band. But again that dosn't change the fact that he's pretty overrated.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I see that another icon of rock has passed away.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Hate to see he passed away for his family and fans .Not really 1 of my favs though.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Useful Idiot wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:56 pmYes, but Steve Howe is also one of the ugliest men alive, so it balances out in the end.
:lol:
Gslatner
Axe
Axe

Post by Gslatner »

I agree I don't get Van Halen at all. I’m sure the way he played isn’t easy but it was more like flailing around on a guitar than music to me.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Sad he died no denying that not really my cup of tea. To much of a show off for my liking had his moments where he had a good song but too flashy and in your face.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I thought "Well this is an incredibly brutal obituary thread" before I noticed the year of the first post! :lol:
I've only heard the main singles by the band. But yes, I can at least agree with videos and opinions I saw that EVH changed everything in guitar music.
If there was fast guitar solos (and even then that seems like I'm disregarding EVH's technique) before Van Halen, then EVH definitely bought that to the mainstream.
We'd had Hendrix in the 60's. If you think of the ROCK'S GREATEST GUITAR SOLOS OF THE SEVENTIEStm it's hard to pick any out that sound like EVH is playing them. (Until they get to 1978)
Hotel California? Layla? Comfortably Numb? Time? All sweet and fitting the respective songs. But just aren't the jaw dropping astonishment of EVH having at it.