The Voice of Pink Floyd?

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

The Voice of Pink Floyd?

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Roger wrote the vast majority of lyrics for Pink Floyd and actually sang more songs than Gilmour too. What is Gilmour doing calling himself "THE voice of Pink Floyd"? Paul McCartney doesn't claim to be "THE voice of The Beatles," so what makes Gilmour think he's entitled to call himself "THE voice of Pink Floyd"?

Pure bollocks.
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Post by Demolition Man »

I think the definition of voice in this case is the singing voice not the person who wrote the most well known songs.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

He's a voice of Pink Floyd, not the voice of Pink Floyd. Like I said, Roger sang most of the songs. Does that make Roger THE voice of Pink Floyd? No, but it certainly shows that Gilmour is not THE voice of Pink Floyd.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I think people have to stop getting hung up on that thing on the cover..."the guitar and voice of Pink Floyd"...I'm not saying it wasn't Dave's idea, because I don't know for sure...but I highly suspect that was put on there by the record company's marketing department and had nothing whatsoever to do with what Dave thought...in fact, I would think, all things considered, Dave would rather people think of On An Island as a David Gilmour album, rather than "On An Island" by "Pink Floyd's David Gilmour. But marketing guys will do whatever they can to increase sales, so what can you do?
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

It's just marketing bullshit, I doubt David would be so obnoxious or egotistical as to decide that himself.
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

I don't know that he didn't have anything to do with it. I recently saw one of his t.v. interviews from his solo tour in 1984 and he said that the record company should have done a bit more to let people know that he was the guitar player in Pink Floyd since only the hardcore Floyd fans knew him by name.

Whatever. It's his career. I don't have a problem with someone wanting as many people as possible to hear their music, but I would also like to think that he's past the point of caring about how many records he's sold, too. Which is his motivation? We'll probably never know. Maybe it IS just his record company behind the idea of him being "the voice".
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

pompeii purple wrote:I don't know that he didn't have anything to do with it. I recently saw one of his t.v. interviews from his solo tour in 1984 and he said that the record company should have done a bit more to let people know that he was the guitar player in Pink Floyd since only the hardcore Floyd fans knew him by name.

Whatever. It's his career. I don't have a problem with someone wanting as many people as possible to hear their music, but I would also like to think that he's past the point of caring about how many records he's sold, too. Which is his motivation? We'll probably never know. Maybe it IS just his record company behind the idea of him being "the voice".
It is quite likely he felt that way back in '84, as PF had recently broken up, and it was his first post PF work...but that was 22 years ago...Dave has said more recently he doesn't really care about the money anymore, and who would if you had all the money you could ever want and more? But of course, the record company would definitely care about the money...in fact, it is all they care about.
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

True. I get a feeling that Gilmour and Waters are still sometimes trying to one-up each other, though. Despite the reunion last summer.
Do you know what I mean? "I'm the guy who made Pink Floyd great."
"No, I am."

Forgive me, I have an overactive imagination at times. :wink:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

It is NOT just a marketing ploy. Here is an excerpt from a recent interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica:

Question: "Many people will find it difficult to distinguish from a Pink Floyd album..."

David Gilmour: "I can't understand the difference very much! It's not important. In fact, I am the voice and the guitar of Pink Floyd."

Sources:

1) http://www.repubblica.it/2006/b/sezioni ... gilmo.html

2) http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0602061.html
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Well okay, then...that settles it! Maybe Dave and Roger are still into one upmanship, as pompeii purple suggested. Well, he is definitely the guitar of Pink Floyd, but I agree, he is only one voice of Pink Floyd.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

To a lot of people he is the voice and guitar of P-F.I'm not saying he is but that there are quiet a few who really don't know the whole story of P-F and therefore they think he is the voice and guitar of P-F.RPITI you of all ought to know that there are some that don't know any better.He is the guitar of P-F though.
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Post by Demolition Man »

As much of a Roger Waters fanboy I am even I'll admit that David is certainly a VOICE of Pink Floyd. But there is no definative voice of the band.. at least in my opinion there is not.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

Well actually there is nothing wrong because Pink Floyd is Rick, David and Nick and David is the voice. So nothing wrong there.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Narek wrote:Well actually there is nothing wrong because Pink Floyd is Rick, David and Nick and David is the voice. So nothing wrong there.
When you break it down to the current form or what was the last form of P-F you are right.That's really splitting hairs though.It's all a matter of opinions and you know what they say about opinions.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Narek wrote:Well actually there is nothing wrong because Pink Floyd is Rick, David and Nick and David is the voice. So nothing wrong there.
Yes, because everybody first thinks of The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason, NOT Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, when people think of "Pink Floyd" and talk about them :roll:

Even if we're just talking about David, Rick and Nick, let's not overlook Rick's vocal contributions to TDB...nor should we forget about Polly's worldclass lyrics :lol: