On An Island - Surround Mix on the way!!

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

On An Island - Surround Mix on the way!!

Post by Keith Jordan »

Oooh special!

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

GILMOUR CONFIRMS SURROUND ISLAND TO BE RELEASED

High-end audiophile/home theatre publication Sound & Vision have just posted a fascinating interview with David Gilmour on their website. In the chat with David, he confirms something that we'd heard a rumour about - a surround sound mix of his new album, On An Island.

Bemoaning that "unfortunately, we're stuck with boring old stereo for the time being", David talks about the thoughts behind the recording process:

"My initial intention was to release it in 5.1 at the same time as the CD, but we won't get around to finishing the mix until the tour and the summer holiday are over. We recorded all of the drums and orchestral stuff in surround. While I do like to keep the rhythm section more or less in stereo, I tend to bring some of the more fluid things ? voices, keyboard textures ? around from the front to the sides for a much wider effect. You have to get a feeling for the sounds that are possible and natural enough for your brain to deal with. I don't like to put too many instruments behind the listener."

The surround mix has been taken care of with the help of engineer Andy Jackson, who has worked closely with James Guthrie.

Elsewhere in the interview, David talks of the development process of his work, and how On An Island came together. The interview also mentions the forthcoming re-releases of his first two solo album - the eponymous debut in 1978, and 1984's About Face. It mentions that they will include bonus tracks, although we are yet to receive official confirmation of this (and what these bonus tracks are).

The full interview can be found at SoundAndVisionMag.com, but as yet, we're not sure if it also appears in the printed magazine itself. Our thanks to BD's Paul Powell Jr for his help with this story.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Nice, I will buy it all...we want the finest Gilmour albums known to man, and we want them now.
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

Yeah, I read about this a day ago. This is awesome. I'm glad I didn't order the album yet, I'll just get the SACD/DVD-A :D. Just in time for my new 5.1 rig 8)

Here's a link to the article over at Soundandvision.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/articl ... le_id=1325
nova74
Axe
Axe

Post by nova74 »

It wll be interesting to see what format this comes out in. SACD is kind of floundering right now, and DVD-A is being replaced with dual-disc.
RYan
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Considering the amount of video floating around from David's website, it had best be a hybrid SACD with video on it or else I will object strongly before buying it!
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Post by Demolition Man »

I'd imagine it will be DualDisc as some stores here in the States like Circuit City don't even bother carrying SACD in stores anymore. And since its under the Sony umbrella the 5.1 mix will only be in Dolby - no MLP track for us with DVD-Audio setups. :x

I still can see a SACD Hybrid release happening however... and I do hope they do one as I prefer SACD over DVD-A/DualDisc anyways.
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

Keith Jordan wrote:Considering the amount of video floating around from David's website, it had best be a hybrid SACD with video on it or else I will object strongly before buying it!
I don't think SACD can hold video. Theoretically it can but Sony doesn't utilize it.

I don't really care if its a DVD-A or SACD as long as the 5.1 mix is good and the sound is lossless.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

BrainDamage seems to think there will be no bonus tracks on the re-issues afterall...hmmm.
Flozzie
Axe
Axe

Post by Flozzie »

Glad I didnt get the album in Oz being the point that I would have been pisssed off thinking that the album would have been 5.1 by default.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

I know Dave says the mix hasn't been completed in 5.1 yet, but, honestly this smacks of greed. The annoucement about it coming in 5.1 (if he was being decent about it) would've happened prior to, or upon, release.

Ya know, while its nice to have the surround mix and all, it should've been released hybrid as standard.

Not all of us have the money to get this album (and then the tour DVD) twice over in every format.
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

peesea wrote:I know Dave says the mix hasn't been completed in 5.1 yet, but, honestly this smacks of greed. The annoucement about it coming in 5.1 (if he was being decent about it) would've happened prior to, or upon, release.

Ya know, while its nice to have the surround mix and all, it should've been released hybrid as standard.

Not all of us have the money to get this album (and then the tour DVD) twice over in every format.
I?m not so sure about that.
I do believe that Gilmour want to do a proper job before he let it into our ears and sence.
I rather wait for a perfect product than...
Stween
Axe
Axe

Post by Stween »

peesea wrote:I know Dave says the mix hasn't been completed in 5.1 yet, but, honestly this smacks of greed. The annoucement about it coming in 5.1 (if he was being decent about it) would've happened prior to, or upon, release.

I disagree. He's gotten his desire to work back again -- and from his recent interviews, I can understand he enjoys playing with the music as much as he enjoys making it. David's too much of a tinkerer to come up with a definitive version of something.

So when the 5.1 version comes out, people will get the version they want. He can't help how greedy the fans get (and I include myself in this; I'll probably grab the 5.1 when it comes out...)
Blade
Blade

Post by 0010 »

any news on when this may be coming out? or is it going to be like the pulse DVD? :(
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

they are releasing pulse as a dvd? i heard something about that a few years ago, but havent seen anything since...
:twisted:
Blade
Blade

Post by 0010 »

i think when pulse comes out on DVD, we will have moved on to a new media like 8-track.

but anyhoo, is this 5.1 mix gonna be SACD, DVD-Audio, or what?