Syd Barrett RIP - Pay Respects Here - No New Threads Please!

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Porcupine_Floyd
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Porcupine_Floyd »

indeed
Sisyfosed
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Sisyfosed »

shine on up there syd...
shane71342
Embryo
Embryo

Post by shane71342 »

Syd was the man. A great Mind and a real Lyrical Genius. Im so glad he started the group out in a cool syd-weird way.
scottfloyd
Axe
Axe

the great syd barret

Post by scottfloyd »

well there aint much i can say that aint been said already. the great syd barrett gone to the great gig, poor ole syd, we will morn his loss for many genataions to come. my he stand proud amongst the other great artest's hendrix, jim morrison, keith moon and anyone else who ive not mentioned, Shine on the crazy diamond, forever in our hearts and heads.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: He never died, He just left...

Post by Yucateco »

AsydWaters wrote: :roll: With all due respect Sir/Madam (or 2b PolitickelyCollect, both of you,the NPF Member Persons ) You Haven't Got It Yet !! When I wrote about "Remembrance Day-7th July" , I meant to mark the day when "The Reluctant Messiah who taught the earthlings about Pink Floyd ; satisfied of his mission on Earth being complete {toquote from Richard Bach ,author of :Illusion-Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah's Quote on Back Cover of Some Version(s)
"Here is
a test to find
whether your mission on earth
is finished:
If you're alive,
it isn't."-
Illusion/novel/ISBN information
ISBN 0440204887 ISBN 0330253557 (Pan Books)
} So does'nt it make the day to be remembered,that it was the day we,the earthlings finally completed the guidance and education taught by Syd-which was his mission on earth!!

Now that you've seen, tell me what exactly did you see ?Just curious to know if you've seen through my mind's eyes or did you see the life go by on a silver screen-an illusion,that makes people believe that what they see is really what it is-whereas its in fact just a frame by frame reel played at 24 frames/second.Each second is life in 24 frames.
Am I going too much psychobabble? Well ; as you can see its in the division bell cover art;some say its two heads,some say its profile of a division bell flanked by two heads,others might think its just one head....
So what you see may not be what I have seen.So tell me what did you see?
what the hell are you smoking?? :shock:
scottx2
Embryo
Embryo

Thanks

Post by scottx2 »

Thank You, Mr. Barrett for everythingjavascript:emoticon(':wink:')
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

death of a legend

Post by Groovybass77 »

It sure sux that Syd died :cry: . Shine on you crazy diamond!

RIP
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

Me???What?Who?When?
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

I remember the day that I found out that Syd was dead like...it just happened...

I remember it was either the day before or the day of The System of a Down Concert, July 11th, or 12th of 2006, and I was walking down my driveway and Shine on You Crazy Diamond was on the radio.

My dad looked at me, kinda concerned and told me that someone from Pink Floyd had died. He said they were 60 and everything, so I knew it wasn't Roger or David because I knew their ages.

So as I was walking down the street to go to my friends house, I was just in like a constant worry. I didn't think right off the bat that it could be Syd. First, it was Richard...then it was Nick. And I was bothered the whole 10 minutes that it took me to walk all the way down Blue Glenn and Grey Moss.

When I got to my friend's house, I still remember beating on the bathroom door because he was taking a shower and I was like, "Someone from Pink Floyd died, and I don't know who it is"

I went down stairs and I got on his computer. There...right on the Chronical's webpage...in bold letters, it told me who it was.

Syd Barrett.

Right then and there...I can still remember tearing up.

My friend came down stairs and I can still remember his words.

"I've never even seen you tear up...and I've known you for five years"

Thats the effect that it had on me. Pink Floyd has been my favorite band ever since I heard Comfortably Numb on the radio so long ago. I researched deep just to hear more Pink Floyd and I got completely into them.

It really hurt me to know that one of my favorite artists of all time had died. Even though I didn't know Syd Barrett personally, I felt as though something in my life just completely vanished. And I didn't know how to fill it. I still don't...

I just want to say thank you, Syd. Thank you for what you've created.

Thats all...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I went on the BBC website in work and saw it there as clear as day and went home. I never knew Syd but he shone a light on a certain part of my mind that was very personal to me. I wasn't upset about his death as such as I never knew him. More mourning the loss of the light and part of me. Quite honest. Quite selfish. :?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

selfish, indeed. I can't believe some people say such things :( And I actually don't want to understand. Because I KNOW that though I never knew Syd, he means much more to me than soem people that I know do. there are some truths in life, and truths are undoubted
henno

Post by henno »

'there are some truths in life, and truths are undoubted'

Thats probably the most consise, clear and complete statements youve ever made on this site Moom, and i applaude you for it.... your statement is EXACTLY how i feel for Syd, and at this stage, some 4 months after his passing, ive come to realise that it isnt Roger Keith Barrett im mourning, but its Syd Barrett ive been mourning for ever sice hearing 'piper at the gates of dawn' for the first time.... being blow away with the lyrical whimsy... finding out he became an 'acid casuallity',,,,.... discovering his solo masterpieces.... finding myself in there.......

syd was my truth for a huge part of my life, while others confused themselves.... syd remained, and still remains, UNDOUBTED.... well said moom.... well said mate!!!
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Has it really been 4 months?! :(
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

I know what you mean man...

It seems like it was just like...maybe last week or something...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

moom wrote:selfish, indeed. I can't believe some people say such things :( And I actually don't want to understand.
It's called the English stiff upper lip! Mourning the death of someone you didnt know is a bit mad isn't it? :? The whole thing with the death of Princess Diana was tasteless!