Syd tribute on BBC2

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am glad I forgot to watch it then: instead I went out drinking with my friend Gemma!

I may have to watch the DVD of this tonight.

Anyone got the new 4 hour version of this?
CEddy10165
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CEddy10165 »

4 hour version? What is the info on that?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

CEddy10165 wrote:4 hour version? What is the info on that?
Its 4 hours long... :D
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

CEddy10165 wrote:4 hour version? What is the info on that?
Right here.

See the description, it is just under 4 hours long.
Run Time: 236 minutes
CEddy10165
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CEddy10165 »

thanks for that info! I've loved every BBC music doc I've seen (Nick Drake, Gram Parsons, and Coltrane being my faves). I usually come across these shows through friends, since they're unreleased in NTSC. I had no idea they did a Syd one.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I haven't seen the extended version but the original was very good. It had some great interviews with Gilmour and Waters about Syd
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I saw it on BBC last night. What exactly did Graham Coxon contribute? Square route of shit. he is no more qualified about Barrett than I am, nor is he anywhere near as good a musician a Barrett was. Just cos he was in Blur, then did a shitty solo fling? Blur were crap idealised 1960s sendoffs with no tallent. Solo stuff was crap. Oh, and wearing some stupid glasses like they wore in the 1970s is just crap, Coxon. ALso he talked the biggest bunch of balls ever. The goose sound at the end of Bike made him feel like fainting? Oh poor we lamb he is. We don't care, you are a twat Graham Coxon, Syd Barrett was a genius. Hey! Why don't I sit in a pub with an acoustic guitar and talk shit about Barrett? I could do that all fucking day long.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

my breakfast. wrote: Square route of shit.

:smt082 couldn?t say it better.

And true also. Graham Coxon, who?s he :smt019

sounds like a bisquit to me :lol: the very dry one. Lot?s of crums, that?s about it
robertcrosbie
Axe
Axe

Post by robertcrosbie »

Disagree with your Graham Coxon comments; I'm not the biggest Blur fan and I've never heard his solo stuff, but I liked hearing a young(er) musician talk about Syd rather than the usual old geezers they roll out for these kind of things. I'd rather listen to Coxon than Robyn Hitchcock; his version of Dominoes made me cringe and seemed to go on for ever! It was awful.

There are slight parallel's between Blur's early music and Barrett's Floyd stuff; there's an early Blur track called Mr Briggs which I remember being very close to Arnold Layne in style. So I guess, being an ex-member of a successful band (although he was still in the band in 2001), he was relevant enough to speak to.

So it'd be like Liam Gallagher talking about John Lennon... but that's a whole other can of worms!! :D
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

robertcrosbie wrote:Disagree with your Graham Coxon comments; I'm not the biggest Blur fan and I've never heard his solo stuff, but I liked hearing a young(er) musician talk about Syd rather than the usual old geezers they roll out for these kind of things.
But "usual old geezers" actually met Syd, unlike Graham Cock-son lol. As for Robyn Hitch-cock (hey, a connection!) he was just some lame old busker in his expensive back garden (shame about the air-traffic!) playing this song of Syd's. And the only reason they had him on was because he was middle-class and troubled in his earlier life? w00t.
Frankymole
Axe
Axe

Post by Frankymole »

"To coincide with the album's [Echoes] release, the BBC screened an Omnibus documentary about him [Syd], which he watched round at Roe's house. He is reported to have liked hearing 'Emily' and, particularly, seeing his old landlord Mike Leonard - who he called his 'teacher'. Otherwise, he thought the film 'a bit noisy'." according to http://www.opelproductions.com/archives/000160.php

Good old Roger!
Duncan Maitland
Axe
Axe

Post by Duncan Maitland »

Wow! There seems to be an incredible feeling of ill-will towards Mr Coxon and Mr Hitchcock - a little over the top if you ask me!

I'd say one of the main reasons the two of them were interviewed for that documentary was the one that became painfully obvious to me when I first saw it - there is so little footage of the Barrett-era Floyd and Mr Barrett himself that what else do you fill the time up with other than just the same old interviews with Joe Boyd, Peter Jenner and the like?

Having said that, I really enjoyed the documentary but on the whole, I felt it was a bit of a "pocket book" guide.....
CEddy10165
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CEddy10165 »

for those who didn't know (like me), it appears that the 74 min version of the BBC doc is available in the us in ntsc as USD473.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

The purpose of including Graham Coxon was to illustrate that Syd's influence continues in modern music and is still relevant today. I'm amazed that went over so many peoples heads.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

simpledumbpilot wrote:The purpose of including Graham Coxon was to illustrate that Syd's influence continues in modern music and is still relevant today. I'm amazed that went over so many peoples heads.

Matbe they should have tacked on a bit by Pete Doherty to make it really upto date and hip