Syd Barret's Girlfriends

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Syd Barret's Girlfriends

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am wriging a life and death of Syd Barrett article thing for the NPF Magazine and was researching his girlfriends!!

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/galle ... rlfriends/

Has anyone got any photos of his other women??
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Syd Barret's Girlfriends

Post by thrill-seeker »

Keith Jordan wrote:Has anyone got any photos of his other women??
How many other women did he have ? :o :)
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

Well what's-her-name (I forget right now) from the Madcap Laughs LP cover was a sort of girlfriend, I mean they were ahem 'scuse ma French, fuck-buddies, but then she did stay with him to hang out too and was something of a companion to him. I've seen a rather tender photo somewhere of them together out and about so it seems to me she was also really a girlfriend, maybe I'm wrong.

[Edit]

Quote from Duggie Fields who lived in the building (still does) where the Madcap cover was shot:

"The girl who appeared naked on the cover of The Madcap Laughs was a half-Eskimo called Iggy"

There were two other "girlfriends" of Syd's that were not hugely serious called Gilly and Leslie respectively. There's not much more detail on them other than some ugly anecdotes about how Syd threw Gilly across the room for laying on his bed uninvited, and him leaving Leslie banging on his door outside when he didn't feel like seeing her.

All this info is from the book (not the most respected as far as I know) 'Crazy Diamond - Syd Barrett & The Dawn Of Pink Floyd' pages 95-96
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Thank you!! Is this the little foxy fuck-buddy Iggy you are on about?

I think this is her too but I can't be sure as I have not seen her from this angle before!! :wink:

iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

What are those biblical veggies doing there?
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I wonder whatever happened to Iggy..
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote:What are those biblical veggies doing there?
looking at the photo they could be in a much worse place! :shock:
Frankymole
Axe
Axe

Re: Syd Barret's Girlfriends

Post by Frankymole »

Keith Jordan wrote:I am wriging a life and death of Syd Barrett article thing for the NPF Magazine and was researching his girlfriends!!

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/galle ... rlfriends/

Has anyone got any photos of his other women??
Shurely shome mishtake - the first and third photos there are clearly of the same woman (Lindsay Corner at a guess!)
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Apparently, at Syd's final sessions in August 1974 he would turn up with a different girlfriend on each of the 3 days of sessions. No word on who they were though.
lungfish
Embryo
Embryo

Post by lungfish »

Atom Heart Sun wrote:I wonder whatever happened to Iggy..
this is from a post by acidmandala from another board.

"Iggy was part Inuit (or Eskimo to use the vanacular of the day). According to Duggie Fields she wasn't considered a girlfriend of Syds although he says she probably slept with Syd on more than one occasion. He goes on to say 'We didn't want her living with us at the time but she was so beguiling that it was a difficult situation'. She was a former girlfriend of Anthony Stern (Movie Director, writer and cinematographer who was a friend of Syd in the 60's (he lived on Eden Street in Cambridge in the 60's) and he was a flatmate of and film asssistant to Peter Whitehead [Tonite Let's All Make Love In London]). Apparently she was destitute when she arrived at Wetherby Mansions had no money, no job and few possessions. According to Duggie Fields she never wore underwear (when she was wearing anything at all!) and he recalls her getting off a bus wearing a scarf as a skirt!

Iggy apparently 'vanished as quickly as she had come' and a hippie couple Rusty and Greta (two casual friends of Syd) decided to move in and lived in the hallway for a while. Later there was Gilly Staples (who Syd apparently threw across the room on one occasion) and a girl called Lesley (who sometimes Syd would see and other times would leave her outside banging on his door to come in). After that Gayla Pinion moved in around late '69 and subsequently became engaged to Syd on October 1 1970 but they never married.

According to Duggie Fields after Iggy left Syd she apparently went off with some 'rich guy from Chelsea and lived a very straight life'."
lungfish
Embryo
Embryo

Post by lungfish »

Atom Heart Sun wrote: All this info is from the book (not the most respected as far as I know) 'Crazy Diamond - Syd Barrett & The Dawn Of Pink Floyd'
Why's that? They voted it the best book, alongside Inside Out, on Syd there is out there on the main board. Madcap has gotten many bad reviews, most of them are bad as far I see. Plus I skimmed through Crazy Diamond and really enjoyed it and knew it was good.
Just confused by that comment.
Haven't read any biography of his yet but I'm leaning towards Cope's book.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I just heard people slag it off on boards like these. Also when I read it I felt there was too much focus on his nuttiness. He wasn't crazy all the time and often was simply taking the piss or being defensive or blatantly awkward, which is not the same as being some kind of fruitcake, but the book didn't really make enough of this in my view, and tended to go down the well-trodden route of "barmy-Syd" anecdotes.
Having said that, I did enjoy reading it and it's mostly the comments by others that made me think it wasn't well recieved. I was under the impression the Lost In The Woods book was so far the best, but I've not read any others myself.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

IMHO, Lost In The Woods is the best book about Syd, with Crazy Diamond not too far behind. I have the Madcap book, but parts of it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, particularly the so-called new 'interview' with RKB, which basically consists of the author doorstepping RKB, and being told in not so many words to "p*ss off".

Hopefully one day we'll get a full account of Syd's life, with contributions from the other members of Pink Floyd, and his family too.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

I don't care for Willis' holier than thou attitude in his Madcap book. I think it was marketed in a dishonest manner (the whole RKB "interview stuff). He also has the nerve to criticize other Syd bios by name. Having said that there is some info exclusive to his book. I don't think there really is a "bad" Barrett bio. They are all essential.
lungfish
Embryo
Embryo

Post by lungfish »

Chris Moise wrote:I don't care for Willis' holier than thou attitude in his Madcap book.
neither do i. i can tell it sucks just by people comments about it.
i'm looking forward to Cope's book. I have a feeling I'll really like it.
despite what anyone says about it.
I also still need to buy Inside Out.