Syd's Vault.

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Syd's Vault.

Post by cwta eugene »

Do you think we might finally get to see what lies inside Syd's Vault? I would love to see the official release of stuff like:

1.The unreleased Pink Floyd recordings (Butterfly, OOBO, Vedgetable Man ,etc.)
2.Impromtu Boogie Band Jam recording.
3.Madcap Laughs and Barrett Outtakes (like "She Was A Millionaire").
4. Unfinished '74 solo project songs. (I NEED to hear these!!!)

PLEASE!!! [-o< [-o< Perhaps put it all into a double album.

I'd also like to hear Roger's "Walk With Me Sydney."

Is it too much to ask for? I mean, I have, afterall, supported Syd's gardening/ painting/ DIY lifestyle for the past twenty years!!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps we should petition EMI!!
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Pretty much everything worthwhile has already come out from Syd's solo albums, and several of the recordings you mentioned are not really in a state suitable for release (Millionare, the 1974 sessions). It would be nice to hear proper remastered versions of tracks like Scream Thy Last Scream, Beechwoods, and Vegetable Man though.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Keith Wrote:
Perhaps we should petition EMI!!
YES!! I don't really care what kind of manner the recordings are in.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

cwta eugene wrote:
YES!! I don't really care what kind of manner the recordings are in.
Trouble is EMI, the other members of Pink Floyd, and Syd's Family probably do, and FWIW i'd like to hear some of this stuff too.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Surely listening to Syd playing in various states of mental breakdown will not be good! The 1974 recordings and the Boogie Band recording will both not serve to further the legacy of Mr. Barrett.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

I'm not that interested in the '74 stuff but there is lots of '67 material that I am dying to hear. Here's a quick wish list. Keep in mind that EMI woulld love to release this stuff. The problem is Waters, Mason, Wright and Syd's estate have to sign off on it..

- early mix of Matilda Mother that pre-dates all of the edit pieces used on the LP version. This will have Syd vocals and alt instrumentation that doesn't appear on the LP version.

- the full version of the French EP mix of Interstellar.

- a pro quality version of Beechwoods

- the Vegetable Man instrumental alt take that Phil Smee (Crazy Diamond box compiler) said has lots of "sound effects whizzing around"

- John Latham

- the complete, unedited 5 minute version of the instrumental booted as "Sunshine"

- Jugband Blues alt takes

- the 12/67 Top Gear session from BBC producer Bernie Andrews tapes.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

dgsyd1 wrote:Pretty much everything worthwhile has already come out from Syd's solo albums, and several of the recordings you mentioned are not really in a state suitable for release (Millionare, the 1974 sessions). It would be nice to hear proper remastered versions of tracks like Scream Thy Last Scream, Beechwoods, and Vegetable Man though.
I'd love to hear the rest of the Dylan's Blues tape that Gilmour has. IIRC Gilmour also has alternate versions of Long Gone and Dark Globe that are no longer at EMI.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

I?d like to add also

- Live at Gyllene Cirkeln, Stockholm 10.09.67

and the Stars tapes (gigs and rehearsals) :shock:
scotsport
Embryo
Embryo

Post by scotsport »

I'd like to hear the following:

Interstellar Overdrive as heard on the Canadian radio Interview, very unlikely that'll surface seeing as no-one seems to know when it was broadcast/recorded or who the interviewer was!

Interstellar Overdrive that was supposedly played on Look of the Week (I've read that it was, con anyone confirm?) - we've all seen/heard the intro to POW R TOC H and Astronime Domine and part of the interview.

Yes, I'm obsessed with the song Interstellar Overdrive!
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I'd like to hear the stuff from sometime in the 70's that Syd apparently gave away to someone on tape and which was then lost.
I can't remember where I heard that from, maybe that book, Crazy Diamond, or maybe I dreamt it :smt017
theman4455245
Blade
Blade
Location: The Only Place You Can't Show Breasts On Television

Post by theman4455245 »

I'd love to see those kinds of things too. Although, hasn't a lot of it been bootlegged.
-I know the early demos and unreleased singles
-The Beechwoods
That's all.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Am I the only one here who finds the 1974 sessions entirely satisfactory? They're not particularly bad; they're just a group of catchy guitar riffs being pushed out from the mind of a man whose lyrical skill was fried away by Mandrax and LSD but still had the instinctive cognitive ability to "have it" as a guitarist. It was the first and only piece by the Roger Keith Barrett who recently died of diabetes, as opposed to the Syd who perished in 1972 when he abandoned Stars.

Alongside what still exists in the EMI vaults, it'd be amazing if a musician with time on his/her hands would try taking the abandoned ideas Syd/Roger left in 1974 and late 1970 (don't forget, Let's Split appears to only have half of the lyrics intact). Maybe even write words for Beechwoods. It'd be heart-warming to say the least to see Syd's works brought to their full potential by someone who likes and understands his music. Heck, the people working with the NPF tribute project could pull it off.
Salmonberry Compendia
Blade
Blade

Post by Salmonberry Compendia »

Nice idea, but I'd rather hear them intact and unfinished rather than have someone mess with them.

That kindof reminds me of something that happened around 10 years ago where some hip hop group wanted to do something involving Hendrix, so the Hendrix estate gave them access to over a thousand hours of rare recordings and the piece of crap they eventually produced just sampled it and cut it to ribbons. I could cry just thinking about it.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Oh, the originals should be released as well, but it'd be great to see some Syd-respecting artists (the NPF Project guys, not some random weirdos) try their hand at polishing it all up. Adding arrangements beyond "one guitar chord!", replacing whistling solos with instruments, and writing lyrics for what isn't entirely done; but keep the lyrics that do exist, the melody, and structure.