do you believe in God

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!

do your believe in God?

yes
46%
no
54%

Total votes: 76

ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: do you believe in God

Post by ddebil »

danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

rememberaday wrote:What you say is agreeable...but then again, God created this world, with a purpose I presume, thus unless he is an abandoner or a somewhat perverted person. If he had the power to create it, isn't is equally expected that he must have the power to prevent his creations from significantly harming each other/the world?
She could, but it would be against it's own purpose, perhaps God is just doing an experiment, running "universe simulations" and stuff like that, just to see how things go... so intervention is against the rules. God is a good scientist.

rememberaday wrote:However, even if one was to accept the presence of a higher being, wouldn't it be right to believe that this higher being is highly immoral?
She needs to be, afterall it's God! Not some lame-ass human!
cwta eugene wrote:If I found out there was no God and that there was no purpose to why I am here, but that I am here merely by chance, I would do things alot differently. I love sex way too much and that's probably all I would do if there were no inhibitions and such. All sense of what's good and bad would be man made and, thus, have no bearing on the way I live.
Not true, you would still need to eat and take shelter, so you would eventually find out that "just having sex all day" isn't very good for your life, or else you would die. So good and bad it's not necessarily man made, it's just relative: what is good for the tiger may not be so good for the deer... or in other words what is good for your penis may not be very good for your stomach.
rememberaday wrote: I disagree with you. It seems you already assume that God made you for a purpose
[/quote]
It's actually the other way around, humans made God for a purpose, basically to give their own lives a purpose. God is an idea that we use to fulfill our psychological need for an end, a destiny. It seems like we as humans just can stand a world that's determined by randomness and coincidence instead of purpose. I guess it's a primitive form of personification: we give purpose to our actions therefore the events, or "actions", of the world must have a purpose too.

And there's also that, personification as the origin or shaping force of our idea of God: we attribute human qualities to God, like morality, kindness, love, reason, etc... and we expect her to act accordingly, like a human would: saving us, taking care of us, punishing us, teaching us, etc... how very human. A true highest being should be above all that mortal stuff.

So probably that's evidence enough that God actually exists: we can't see her around at all! <.8.>
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

danielcaux wrote: It's actually the other way around, humans made God for a purpose, basically to give their own lives a purpose. God is an idea that we use to fulfill our psychological need for an end, a destiny. It seems like we as humans just can stand a world that's determined by randomness and coincidence instead of purpose. I guess it's a primitive form of personification: we give purpose to our actions therefore the events, or "actions", of the world must have a purpose too.

And there's also that, personification as the origin or shaping force of our idea of God: we attribute human qualities to God, like morality, kindness, love, reason, etc... and we expect her to act accordingly, like a human would: saving us, taking care of us, punishing us, teaching us, etc... how very human. A true highest being should be above all that mortal stuff.
That is precisely the point - what I'm saying is that God is merely a human concept and our intepretation of God - even Mosespa's :D - is very, very human.

However, one can have a purpose without the concept of God. What I actually don't understand what theists actually mean when they say God made life for a purpose! What is this "purpose", after all?
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Your Purpose is the same as any other animal on the planet or life form in the universe for that matter. Its to breed! Keep the species going and evolving when neccessary. The more there are of a certain creature the more chance you have of surviving disease and disasters. Plus you need to evolve to best fit your environment. The only difference with humans is that we can "think" about it whereas most animals just get on with eating and shagging.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I did. Now I don't, but I'm not going to preach about it. In fact, I favour preachy religious people to preachy atheists; at least the former meet you with love. The latter group just shouts at you for being an idiot.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Not true. As an atheist, I would always prefer a secular state. That was the main incentive for me being an atheist - too many people around me were forcing me into religion when I was doubtful about. As an atheist, I would hate any other atheist who would resort to religion's authoritarianism in a similar way. It is fine if you believe in God as long as you

1) Don't force me into it
2) Don't follow its dogma blindly.

As such, mosespa's so called God is pretty fine to me, as it's all personal and not binding on others. That's the whole point, right?
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I agree. Hence my referring to "preachy atheists" as opposed to just "atheists".

I'm not saying all atheists act this way, but the preachy ones are out there; I've been to lectures on comparative litterature where one student would constantly confuse analysis with discussing all the evils of Christianity and in religion in general ](*,)

Mind you, he was also 70 year old and would just watch film adaptions rather than reading the books themselves. Then afterwards, he'd refer to the films whenever we were debating the books and call the differences between the two "the way I interpreted it" :roll:
Latin Floydian
Axe
Axe

Post by Latin Floydian »

No,