Syd's death

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
dancure
Axe
Axe

Syd's death

Post by dancure »

This was published some months ago in the hispanic floyd message-board, and it presented the posibility of a scenario pretty similar to this one. Basically, it was about what should happen for Pink Floyd to re-unite for the second time after Live 8, and somehow the only possible scenario was for this to happen (nos hoping or wishing it would, of course): Syd Barret's death this year.

It's crazy, but somehow it happened, and it's regreatable, of course, but somehow it leaves me the feeling that as always, thinking of The Pink Floyd Project, nothing is random, everything is magically disposed as if somebody was writing a perfect story somewhere.

It's not random that Syd Barrett, not as many other musicians of the sixties, hadn't died and left a "beatiful corpse" behind, as it was usual. And it isn't random either that he has become a living dead and became the main inspiracion sourse for the best band of all times. Where the three best albums woudln't have seen the light of day if it wasn't for the presence of somebody who gave the band it's name and was part of it's genesis. The Dark Side of The Moon (madness), Wish You Were Here (absence), The Wall (a musician's alienation), three concepts taken directly from his major inspiration source by Roger Waters: Syd.

Likewise, it isn't random either that Barret appeared like magically called by some magic thead to Abbey Road studios during the recordings of the disc that would give him sepulture in life: Wish You Were Here.

That's why I'm not surprised at all that Barrett was the first one to take off, and that he made it now, a floydian year as never seen before, where all the four members of Pink Floyd are still active by separate. It's like Syd is saying, somehow, "what happened lads? lost inspiration? need an excise to do something together again? well, there you go, run together to write something about death, go on and write Shine On You Crazy Diamond (X-XV), finish what you started..."

I'm not sure this is going to happen, and I certainly dount it... it would simply be a too perfect end.

But of what I am certain, is that if Pink Floyd didn't forget Syd on July the 2nd and took him with them to the senary dedicating one of the band's more representantive songs to him in front of the whole world, they won't let his death pass by as a simple anecdote on a London newspaper.

After all, they know than the Millions of Dollars on their bank accounts and the great life they have had was somehow... somehow... influenced by Syd.

After Steve O'Rourke died the 3-man-Floyd gathered together to play on his homage, and they wouldn't do it for their major inspiration source?

Nick Mason looks like a teenager shouting out so the four will reform, needed a push? well, there you go! Syd has made the greatest sacrifice and is sureley looking down from the sky if something may happen... and he'll surely regreat knowing that his death didn't went further away than a press release.

After all, they made a concert for Robert Wyatt. They cannot not make a concert in Syd's homage to dedicate him not only Wish You Were Here, but songs from the three albums inspirated by him...

People always ask why homages are made after people die...

Well, I shall remember you that Syd Barrett was homaged in life, creating one of the best albums of all times for him, as Wish You Were Here, and dedicating him one of the most beautiful songs as Shine On You Crazy Diamond is.

Even a video clip was made for him, you can see it on the PULSE DVD extras.

He is being remembered in Roger's current tour, porjecting his image as a young man in the scenario during that song.

David sings Floyd songs dedicated to Syd as he sings Barrett's songs.

So Barrett has been given homage...

the question is the following...

Pink Floyd killed Syd Barret (the character) the day they didn't pick him up and just went with David for a concert, and immortalized him leaving him well-buried with a song like Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which I've alwais heard. I wonder how there can be a song like that for someone who's still alive... it's absurd...

Well no... he was dead, Syd Barrett (the character) was killed and elevated to myth, leaving the flesh and bones living person with all the weight on his shoulders.

Barrett was obliged to live locked in a house during 30 years to die alone, for being the only person who has become a myth while being alive.

My question, finally, is not if Pink Floyd would be willing to give homage to Syd Barrett (as stated previously, they have already done that along their career), the question is: Are they willing to give homage to Roger Keith Barrett, the man behind Syd doomed for a lifetime to carry the myth?

Saludos.

(this reflection was published by Pinky Floyde, from the Chilean Floydian Community, on July 12th, I'm just translating and bringing a theory from this part of the globe to you)

Saluts,
Daniel.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

Hmm yes I can see how these ideas would fit into both the Pink Floyd and the Syd Barrett mythologies.

Perhaps for the Pink Floyd myth alone the most perfect ending would be Live8, who knows?

But as far as the Barrett/Floyd myth is concerned the opportunities you allude to are definately possible given the track record, and this could possibly result in something really good because it would be relevant to where they/we are at now and probably be some kind of natural development - a fresh, worthy chapter.
On the other hand, the remaining Floyds simply might not be interested in following this (or even any other) direction ever again.

It could be that Barrett's death allows the other Floyds to finally break free of his influence..
bkovacs
Axe
Axe

Post by bkovacs »

Maybe his passing will help them put an end to their squabbling. Life is to short to hold grudges.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

people seem to forget too quickly that Roger Barrett DIDN'T WANT ANY ATTENTION AFTER ABOUT 1976

HE WOULDNT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT PINK FLOYD REUNITING TO PLAY IN FRONT OF 200,000 PEOPLE TO "HONOUR" HIS INFLUENCE

if he was looking down on it from above all he would see is the pink floyd reunion NOT the syd barrett memorial concert and that is all it would be PINK FLOYD REUNION

most people there probably wouldn;'t even understand what Syd was about and his terrible story in later life.

dont get me wrong i would be there if they did reunite but i dont think they should soil roger Barretts death by staging some huge concert which will do nothing but inflate their own ego's
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I agree a PF tribute concert for Syd would probably be a bad idea, and tea-set is right that RKB would probably not give a toss.
Also it's so unnecessary. If they reunite it should be for artistic reasons.
dancure
Axe
Axe

Post by dancure »

yeah, you're right, but... think on the other Rog... Waters.

He made a lengendary concert in the place where the berlin Wall stood, and built and tore down a huge wall during that concert in front of a huge audience and TV broadcast. When he dies, wouldn't he be waiting for the rest of them to make at least something as spectacular as that?

And... there is this little thing that keeps turning around on my mind... it's about Rosemary's press interview short days after Syd died. She told the press that a friend of Syd form his young days ran into him on a shop while shopping (not kidding! hahaha he was in fact shopping on a shop xD), and he asked Syd if he remembered him. Syd replied "yup", but then Rosemary jumped into the conversation and took Syd away...
Of course, Rosemary's statement reveals a lot about on how Roger's life was after Syd died (you know... "Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett: the man who died twice").

Anyway, nobody knows for sure what was happening through Syd's mind...

Now... "If they reunite it should be for artistic reasons", Atom Heart Sun, is a quite good thought. If they pass through that, I mean... getting artistic interest on it. Wouldn't they need an inspiration source? I think Syd pretty much does it :D

Saluts,
Daniel.
Last edited by dancure on Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dancure
Axe
Axe

Post by dancure »

found it:
Earlier this year an old friend saw the pair in Robert Sayles, the Cambridge department store, and went up to renew their acquaintance. ?Hello, Syd,? he said. ?Do you remember me??

?Yup,? replied Barrett. But Rosemary cut in with ?Roger is only interested in buying some ties today?, and led her brother away. Now she admits she might have been over-protective.
"the pair", meaning Syd and Rosemary