Syd albums

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Syd albums

Post by azza200 »

Today i came across plenty of Syd Barret albums one was "Syd Barrett and The Madcap Laughs in one doulble album package the other one was "The Best Of Syd Barrett" 1st time i have came across these albums.
Dowie100

Post by Dowie100 »

In Scotland it is very easy to get his albums, most shops have all 3 :D
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

Dowie100 wrote:In Scotland it is very easy to get his albums, most shops have all 3 :D
lucky...

unless I haven't looked hard enough, in the US I've only found Madcap....so, other than bootlegs and Piper, it's the only Syd work I have. :(
henno

Post by henno »

azza

what you saw was the double packaged 'Madcap Laughs' and 'Barrett' albums... this was released in 2003, according to a website i sourced....

the 'Wouldnt you miss me, The Best of Syd Barrett' album was released in 2001....

..most good record stores would have these, HMV etc.....

if you thinking of what to purchase first id go with 'The madcap laughs'......
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

henno wrote:what you saw was the double packaged 'Madcap Laughs' and 'Barrett' albums... this was released in 2003, according to a website i sourced....
The MCL and Barrett douple was firstly released in ´75, thanks to Wish You Were Here-album. That´s when I bought mine. And yes, I´m talking about vinyl :lol:
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

zag wrote:The MCL and Barrett douple was firstly released in ´75, thanks to Wish You Were Here-album. That´s when I bought mine. And yes, I´m talking about vinyl :lol:
'Syd Barrett' (the double) released in 1974, on 20 July (US) and c. 20 September (UK)--thanks to a 'Dark' album which prominently features a female singer and a saxophone (just as Syd suggested they should in 1968)... :lol:

"...and I never knew the moon could be so big
and I never knew the moon could be so blue..."
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

ah well, too many years have passed, you ´re right, it was indeed in ´74. Anyway, it was in stores (in Finland = turn right from Greenland) in winter 74-75.
Why they (P.F) forgot the banjoplayer, that´s what I´d like to know ! :lol:
Machina
Blade
Blade

Post by Machina »

My local record store has Barrett and The Madcap Laughs CD's with the extra tracks and opal and it did stock the double album which was the 1st 2 albums in a double package much like a Nice Pair..Of course now Torrents are all the rage there probably few people who actually buy the albums when you can download all of them illegally for free. :(
pinkcapricorn
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pinkcapricorn »

Haha. "Illegally for free" is all I got since where I live nobody's ever heard anything about Syd Barrett. When I ask in the stores for his music I meet only those blank looks or something like this :shock:
But I like nice music, so I use torrent.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Man, you gotta buy The Madcap Laughs and Barret. Absolutely fantastic material of both albums and they both really grow on you :D Double pack would be great
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

I'd recommend the 'Opel' collection as well: some of his strongest material included--Opel, Swan Lee, Lanky, the Rats demo, and Milky Way. Great bonus tracks (if they're there) too, like Clowns and Jugglers (Take 1), and an early instrumental Late Night...
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Just get the Crazy Diamond box set. It's reasonably priced as a three-disc set, and has a great book and collection of bonus tracks; you also get his whole studio discography in one little rectangle.
I found mine on Amazon.
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

I agree with the Madcap comments...great album :D Unfortunately I haven't found Opel or Barrett in stores in these parts...but a friend is burning them for me on CD until I can...can't wait! :D :D
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Tenniru wrote:Just get the Crazy Diamond box set.
I think theyve brought this back into print since his death,
cuz I now see a copy in the boxed set section of every record store I go into
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:
Tenniru wrote:Just get the Crazy Diamond box set.
I think theyve brought this back into print since his death,
cuz I now see a copy in the boxed set section of every record store I go into
They seem to pop up every once in a while, I've noticed over the last few years...heck, a new copy of Waters' musicfromthebody was in a major music store a couple of weeks ago - I think they stock certain albums once a year...when Live8 happened, all Syd albums were easy to get, which is how I was able to purchase his BBC sessions disc.