syd barrett rumours

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
chained
Embryo
Embryo

syd barrett rumours

Post by chained »

hi can we start a thread here where people tell us of any rumours theyve heard about syd over the years and please say where and when you heard the rumour..give enough info so we can check it if its held on a website, give the exact url of the site, ive heard all kinds of nonesence about syd and i want to find out whos creating these lies and why eg some idiot says syd was a taxi driver in the 1980s ( i guess syds not the only one with mental problems)
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

I just heard that Syd's gonna play a solo concert at Wembley stadium next summer.
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

HeckTo wrote:I just heard that Syd's gonna play a solo concert at Wembley stadium next summer.

:lol:
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Yes, some say they saw him in Vegas, dressed as Elvis...
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

HeckTo wrote:I just heard that Syd's gonna play a solo concert at Wembley stadium next summer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Syd Barrett is Marc Bolan, who was Syd Barrett, who is going to be Marc Bolan, who is going to play Syd Barrett in a film about Marc Bolan, called The Madcap Laughs, featuring Syd Barrett and Marc Bolan.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Syd´s fine.
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

my breakfast. wrote:Syd Barrett is Marc Bolan, who was Syd Barrett, who is going to be Marc Bolan, who is going to play Syd Barrett in a film about Marc Bolan, called The Madcap Laughs, featuring Syd Barrett and Marc Bolan.
sorry...wasn't paying attention...could you repeat that please?
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

Syd spent much of his time in the 90s indoors due to his obsession with Donkey Kong for the video game console super nintendo, when asked about this obsession during a walk to the grocery store in 1998, he completely denied all allegations. you be the judge.
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

my breakfast. wrote:Syd Barrett is Marc Bolan, who was Syd Barrett, who is going to be Marc Bolan, who is going to play Syd Barrett in a film about Marc Bolan, called The Madcap Laughs, featuring Syd Barrett and Marc Bolan.
I heard that it was Johnny Depp...
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Or Ashton Kutcher... :roll:
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

Ashton Kutcher had to play Roger Waters :lol: :lol:
pinkcapricorn
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pinkcapricorn »

I often hear that Syd was mad, but I don't really believe this :?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Oops, I forgot to mention that Syd lives in Japan nowadays, eating raw fish. And he´s fine.
arnold crow
Blade
Blade

Post by arnold crow »

Here i past some weird rumors about Syd Barrett that i saved in my computer...

this is a post that i saved from the piper astral forum

but I was wondering if someone could help me out with the title to a Syd/Floyd documentary that I half-remember watching sometime. It was memorable in that it contained much detail of Syd's infamous visit to the Shine On sessions, and an even more fascinating tale that he'd apparently turned up backstage when the Floyd played Knebworth later that same summer of 1975. I seem to remember a Floyd roadie or crew member relating how nobody had even realised he'd been at the event until they looked at photos taken a few weeks later, and recognised Syd as tagging along in an actual line-up photo of the band and crew backstage. They were incredulous that he had been able to come and go unnoticed by all and sundry, as if invisible to them. I believe the photo was shown, along with pictures from Syd's visit to Abbey Road Studios

I really wish I could remember more about the programme. I'd guess that I saw it in the last 10 years, although it could be as far back as the early 1990's. I think it was on the BBC. I can't remember if it was about the Floyd, Syd, or psychedelia. I thought that it might have been an episode of the Classic albums series, or the psychedelia episode of the "Dancing in the Streets" history of rock music, but now I think about it I'm pretty sure it wasn't either of these. I can remember the Knebworth story quite well however, and basically one or 2 of the Floyd's crew were interviewed, and related how several weeks after the event, they were looking at some backstage photos taken on the day, when one of them shouted "Bloody Hell...that's Syd!!" I'm sure a black and white photo was shown...a group line-up in which the members of the Floyd were quite visible. The camera zoomed in on a smiling figure at the end of the line-up, very chubby and bald, but looking quite normal and it was certainly Syd Barrett.

Brain Morrison tale about syd

Extract:

Our other visitor that night was Bryan 'Morry' Morrison, who had managed Pink Floyd, but had made his substantial fortune from music publishing, with The Floyd, T Rex, and The Bee Gees among his acts. While visually conforming to the most crudely-drawn caricature of a cigar-chomping, East-End Jewish wide-boy, the complete social antithesis of King Wasp, he was in fact a self-educated man of astonishing flair and instinct, charismatic and confident to the point of arrogance, who could be relied upon to turn the most unpromising set of circumstances to his advantage. He had a big, fit, robust physique, and a cannonball head, a close-trimmed beard and expensive teeth. He had already lost much of its hair, but with Morrison it didn't matter. He was polo-playing testosterone on legs, nervously hyperactive and overwhelmingly macho. He filled any room he walked into. I cannot imagine that, in his entire life, he has once uttered those deathless late 20th Century words 'I'm trying to get in touch with my feminine side'.

I told Bryan I was a big fan of Syd Barrett, the founder member of Pink Floyd, who had fried his brains with acid, and been ousted by the band when he no longer knew that his guitar wasn't even plugged in onstage. Bryan's mood blackened. 'Don't talk to me about fucking Syd Barrett. He's doing my head in at the moment.' I asked why. 'He comes into the office for publishing royalties. I say, 'Syd, you're not owed anything till the next quarter. You were in here two months ago and I gave you a cheque for everything we owed you.' Syd says, 'No I wasn't. I don't recognise this room. I've never been here before'. Fortunately, I took the precaution of getting him to sign a receipt for the cheque, cos I knew he was out of his tree. I show him the receipt. Look Syd. You took a cheque two months ago. He goes quiet for minute, and then he says, 'You cheating bastard!' I say, 'What?!' and he says 'That's signed in red ink. I never use red ink. I HATE red!' and storms out of the office calling me a c***.'

If you want to know more about Richard Strange, take a look here
http://www.richardstrange.com/writing/writeb2.htm

Taken from Syd Barrett.net forum. Posted 30 august 2006.

Hi There,

not sure if its of interest but my wife knew Syd during the early 1980's when she was working as a dental nurse at Collins & Hodgeson Dentists on the corner of Cherry Hinton Road and Perne Road, Cambridge.
At the time she didnt know who he was, and to the staff there, he was just this nutty bloke called Roger Barrett that was forever coming in complaining of tooth ache. She said he'd just turn up, he was plumpish, and always wore baggy jumpers, and was covered in talcum powder. He was always very polite and pleasant, but she found him rather unnerving, and they were always trying to get rid of him. It wasn't until she saw an article in the Sun newspaper that she realised who he was. She left not long afterwards so never actually got to see him after she saw the article. She does regret the way they treated him down there, saying if she'd known who he was she'd have been much more respectful.

kind regards

Ian

with respect guys, this is completely true. The time we're talking about here is between 1985 and 1989 - I said early eighties, when in fact it was later as my wife left the practice when we moved to Wokingham in 1989. Her description of Syd, which was always consistant was that he was plumpish and bald, and usually wore a baggy jumper. The talcum powder was odd, she said he'd put loads of it on his head which had spilt onto his clothes (giving the appearance of him being covered in it). He always smelt strongly of flowers. he used to come in and complain about having tooth ache, yet they could find very little wrong with his teeth, which is what spooked them so much, in that they were convinced his tooth ache was mostly psycosomatic. He would wait patiently for ages for them to fit him in, and not say a word.