Madcaps Last Laugh at The Barbican 10 May 2007

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
gnomad
Blade
Blade

Madcaps Last Laugh at The Barbican 10 May 2007

Post by gnomad »

A Homage to Syd is been held at the Barbican with Jo Boyd and others

Quote from Barbican website

An evening in homage to the eccentric genius of Pink Floyd founding member Syd Barrett whose creative legacy and quintessential English vocal delivery has proven remarkably influential.

Barrett was an obscure figure whose life-long struggle with mental illness shortened his creative period in music to only 7 years, however during that short time such classics as Arnold Layne and See Emily Play and Floyds first album The Piper at The Gates of Dawn were all written and recorded.

Recently David Bowie, Bobby Gillespie, Brian Eno and Jimmy Page have all paid personal tribute to the 'Crazy Diamond'. This special event curated with Barrett's first producer Joe Boyd features many special guests performing Syd’s songs as well as rare film footage, lighting effects and spoken word.

Produced by the Barbican

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event- ... sp?ID=5653
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

It's truly excellent that they're doing this. Does anybody know who the guests are going to be, or what the rare film footage is? Unfortunately, the full Floyd can't be there (since Rog is the States)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Rare film often means stuff the general public hasn't seen, but may well have been in the sweaty mits of collectors for years. Remember "Look of the Week" is rare as it is not officially available.

But... it could be a professionally filmed "Stars" gig for all I know.

Funny, but when I typed that I realised some fan will type "Stars gig syd barrett filmed" into google and get my post.

Doh!
schadfield
Embryo
Embryo

Post by schadfield »

mhspiper wrote:It's truly excellent that they're doing this. Does anybody know who the guests are going to be, or what the rare film footage is? Unfortunately, the full Floyd can't be there (since Rog is the States)
Roger Waters is playing London the day after the Barrett tribute...
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I'd be surprised if anyone from Pink Floyd turned up at this, no more than I could see any of them doing a tribute concert to Syd. If any of them did show up, I think it would take the attention away from Syd. A bit like if they'd gone to the funeral - that would have made it more about Pink Floyd and less about the man who'd just died.
Dark_Globe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dark_Globe »

i kind of hope Roger Waters doesn't turn up as it seems Syd wasn't too fond of him. (I'll admit it -i'm not, either). David Gilmour or Rick Wright would be welcome additions as far as I'm concerned though..
Dark_Globe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dark_Globe »

I've seen some rare films at a syd tribute last year. These were and extended version of the syd home movies which included much more larking about in the garden and woods (and featured Syd playing a pipe at one point) and the full version of the Tomorrows World /Mike Leonard feature as well as the Dutch Arnold Layne ('made in England') TV clip. I hope these are included - along with Mick Rock's home movies of Syd, and newly unearthed 'Emily' TOTP appearances.

Not asking for much, is it?
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

The "Emily" TOTP video has been unearthed :shock: WHERE CAN I SEE IT?!?!?!?
Dark_Globe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dark_Globe »

mhspiper wrote:The "Emily" TOTP video has been unearthed :shock: WHERE CAN I SEE IT?!?!?!?
It hasn't as far as I know. Sorry to mislead you. I was just making a 'wishlist' of video footage which would be great to see.
Mick Rock did make a short film with Syd going through a mirror (just like in Cocteaus' film of Orpheus). Wonderif that will ever come to light?
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

Just out of curiousity, is anyone here going?
schadfield
Embryo
Embryo

Post by schadfield »

mhspiper wrote:Just out of curiousity, is anyone here going?
I have tickets. The reason I found this forum and thread is because I was Googling in search of any hints as to who might be performing that night. I have not found any info as of yet...
Dark_Globe
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Dark_Globe »

Yep, I'm going -I got my tickets for the Barbican event a while back.
cheapfilm
Axe
Axe

Post by cheapfilm »

I was supposed to go but can't make it now.. I have 4 tickets in the front section.. row 3.. willing to sell them at cost.. or trade for vinyl.
Lexxy
Blade
Blade

Post by Lexxy »

schadfield wrote:
mhspiper wrote:Just out of curiousity, is anyone here going?
I have tickets. The reason I found this forum and thread is because I was Googling in search of any hints as to who might be performing that night. I have not found any info as of yet...
Robyn Hitchcock and John Paul Jones are supposedly going to be there, and Robyn is also doing the Games For May thing a couple of weeks later :D
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

So is someone going to audio or film record this for us? PLEEEZ!!!!! :)