Syd's lost demo tape / Joe Boyd

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Syd's lost demo tape / Joe Boyd

Post by lovescene4 »

I realize there's a separate thread about Joe Boyd, but this seemed of particular Syd interest... Last night I went to a reading/signing of Joe Boyd's new book 'White Bicycles." For those who might not know: Joe was the first music industry guy to "discover" Pink Floyd. He produced Arnold Layne/Candy and a Currant Bun, and the Interstellar Overdrive/Nick's Boogie ('London '66-67') session; he also founded the UFO Club.

I asked him about the legendary 1967 demo tape Syd gave him, which was subsequently lost. Boyd recalled that Syd had described the music as "songs the band didn't want to do." Joe said he had not seen the tape again since 1968, but when he listened to 'The Madcap Laughs' and 'Barrett,' he recognized a lot of the songs, and feels almost certain that all the songs on the demo are represented on those two albums.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I wonder what Mr. Boyd is going to reveal on May 10th. Any ideas?
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

I have always felt that Syd had tapes in his hme hiden away.. maybe because they didnt matter to him or he may have thought they weren`good.. but i still have a feeling about it and unfortunately think the family may be sitting on some treasures holding out for more money just my opinion
Dowie100

Post by Dowie100 »

Syd'sSexy wrote:I wonder what Mr. Boyd is going to reveal on May 10th. Any ideas?
Where did you hear something was going to be revealed on the 10th?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Dowie100 wrote:
Syd'sSexy wrote:I wonder what Mr. Boyd is going to reveal on May 10th. Any ideas?
Where did you hear something was going to be revealed on the 10th?
Read this article from the Brain Damage site:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/sy ... ondon.html

"This special homage, curated with Barrett's first producer Joe Boyd, is said to feature "many special guests" performing Syd’s songs as well as rare film footage, lighting effects and spoken word.

As to who the guests will be, and what footage will be included, we don't know, as this has not been announced."
Dowie100

Post by Dowie100 »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
Dowie100 wrote: Where did you hear something was going to be revealed on the 10th?
Read this article from the Brain Damage site:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/sy ... ondon.html

"This special homage, curated with Barrett's first producer Joe Boyd, is said to feature "many special guests" performing Syd’s songs as well as rare film footage, lighting effects and spoken word.

As to who the guests will be, and what footage will be included, we don't know, as this has not been announced."
Sounds great