Syd Barrett, A Great Lyricist

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Maisie...here's another of Kyle's reviews for you to read on Dominoes. He granted me his permission to post them, so enjoy!!!

Let me know if you want to see more...

DOMINOES (#2 of 10)
To my ear, Barrett is more distant than Madcap. It contains some of Syd’s very best work, but there is a sense that he is somehow less engaged in these songs. The abstract poetic content so beautifully realized on Madcap, seems to be taking on a different life on Barrett. When one looks across the recording dates for Barrett, it is striking how much work Syd produced in a scant few days. It appears that the released versions of “Wined & Dined,” “Dominoes” and “Effervescing Elephant” were all done on July 14, 1970. Just three days later, Syd would spend his last productive day (if not his last day) at Abbey Road, finishing “Love Songs” and “It is Obvious.”

Barrett embodies incredible stylistic variety, perhaps through the influence of producer David Gilmour. “Baby Lemonade” and “Gigolo Aunt” sound as if they were intended to be the album’s potential singles. “Rats” is a raving, abstract work, full of wonderfully evocative melodic explorations and built upon seemingly improvised lyrics. Robyn Hitchcock would mine ideas from “Rats” for years. “Maisie” at first seems very dark and odd, but then Syd chuckles at 1:48, as if amused by the silliness of his own lyric. “Wolfpack” glistens with psychedelic imagery and “Elephant” takes us back to his youth. Overall, it sounds to me as if Syd is turning a corner in his music, his life and perhaps in his mind. Whatever change was occurring; it wasn’t conducive to recording more music. Barrett became Syd’s last album. For me, “Dominoes” captures the deep essence of this period of change.

Like a cosmic tractor-beam reaching into this dimension from hyperspace, “Dominoes” pulls the careful listener into its orbit for exactly 4 minutes and 8 seconds. There is no escape. Some of the other tracks on Barrett sound over-polished to my ear, but this production is just right. Syd’s rhythm guitar, vocal delivery and famous backward solo work perfectly. David Gilmour provides the simple drumming and Rick Wright sweeps over the background, tastefully adding atmosphere, without getting in the way.

The melody is strong and the lyrics are beautifully sung. Syd enunciates crisply, but the first lines feel tentative. He begins a half beat behind and there is an almost palpable despondency in his voice as “the day goes by…” trails off. It makes me feel like “You and I” are Syd and Roger, sitting alone, pondering, dreaming, “thinking of nothing” as Jenny Fabian quoted him, helplessly watching the dominoes fall.

The lyric slowly transmutes into an abstract, emotional dialogue. His words fall into the melody with logic based on sound and syllable rather than primary meaning, but somehow meaning unfolds and emerges and ripples across the mind in slow emotional waves, washing beyond the horizon and toward a far distant shore…

It’s an idea, someday
in my tears, my dreams
don’t you want to see her proof?
Life that comes of no harm
you and I, you and I and dominoes, the day goes by...

Someday has become only an idea, seen now through his tears and his dreams. “Don’t you want to see her proof?” A question of deeply sexual undercurrents, he wonders why he doesn’t want to see it. Perhaps he’s seen enough of those girls, those rock star girls… Here in the depths of ideas, life comes of no harm and the day goes by…

You and I in place
wasting time on dominoes
a day so dark, so warm
life that comes of no harm
you and I and dominoes, time goes by...

He is now in place, this is the position, the location, assigned seats are taken. He uses “time” twice in this verse and nowhere else in the song. Time is wasted watching dominoes fall. Now the day itself takes on a sexual tone, “so dark, so warm.” In the depths of this place, life comes of no harm… The melodic phrasing of “no harm” is so original and emotionally effective. Only Syd could cast two vowels into such an eternal love affair. The resignation in his voice as “time goes by…” is aching in its finality.

Fireworks and heat, someday
hold a shell, a stick or play
overheard a lark today
losing when my mind’s astray
don’t you want to know with your pretty hair
stretch out your hand, glad feel,
in an echo for your way.

Images of the idea that someday has become; images of summer of sea of play. A lark calls. So gently he sings, “losing when my mind’s astray,” as if to a frightened child. Now closer, she has her own agenda. Doesn’t she want to know this place he inhabits? Doesn’t she want to know him? Go ahead, feel me not as I am, but as you wish, it is only an echo of will.

It’s an idea, someday
in my tears, my dreams
don’t you want to see her proof?
Life that comes of no harm
you and I, you and I and dominoes, the day goes by...

Repeating his opening verse, the lines are sung stronger. There is acceptance, resolve and a haunting finality as the last word falls away.

According to Beatles Engineer Geoff Emerick, George Harrison and John Lennon spent hours working up the backward guitar solos for the song “Rain.” David Gilmour says that Syd did the backward solo on “Dominoes” in one take. Mind-boggling indeed. Nowhere does Syd’s solo sound wrong. A sonic spider weaving its way through the song, appearing and disappearing like a playful apparition. When I think about this, I cannot believe it. For mortals, recording a backward solo is more a process of trial and error than anything else. The probability of it accidentally working out perfectly is practically zero. One would have to be able to listen to the backward song, but actually hear it forward, while placing notes exactly where they belong. This solo may the most perfect window into the invisible depths of Syd’s genius.

If you see this Kyle...you're absolutely amazing! :wink:
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

Wonderful!!! thanks again SS... it is so great to read someone putting to words the feelings i have had for Syd so many times.. and i am so touched that others can also feel this deeply about Syds music.. i have been ridiculed at times for my love of Syd. and it is so very cool to read someone else has herd what i hear!!!
like Syd chuckling at himself..(Maisie). i always wondered how many heard it and how many didnt it= i love that!!!

and.... RATS!!!!!! whoopee Rats is almost my signature Syd song...i love it.. and think it is vastly underated. Syd was a rhythm master on his guitar very percussive.
and dominoes.. God i even love all the outtakes..
yes i surely DO appreciate this.. it has really made me feel validated.. i have never been able to separate any of Syd`s music.. or say that i liked one album better than another. I love them all and just look at everything as a whole body of work.. so great to read these things...
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Well, Kyle has not posted a review of Rats, but here's one for Wolfpack for you Maisie!

Kyle's (LastEmptyInches) review of Syd Barrett's "Wolfpack":

5/5 ***** Wolfpack (Syd Barrett) 3:41 [Recorded 4-3-1970]

Barrett Solo Masterpiece

April 3, 1970 was a Friday. Syd was rolling through the Barrett sessions with David Gilmour, Jerry Shirley and Rick Wright. The sessions had begun in February and Baby Lemonade, Maisie, Gigolo Aunt, Waving My Arms In The Air and I Never Lied To You were already in the can. Wolfpack would be the only song recorded between February and May of 1970, when Rats was committed to tape.

There is a hard biting edge to this song. Syd has re-connected with the energy we hear in his early work. Much of the rest of Barrett is informed with that languid Mandrax feel so common on Madcap. Wolfpack is a snarling, swirling, almost weightless musical piece with Syd working his familiar rhythm. Syd's lead guitar work is evident throughout. Bright, sharp telecaster fills complete with string slides, atmospheric feedback and imaginative syncopated chord accents. Gilmour pins the bass line down solidly, keeping the rhythm tight with Shirley. It sounds like it was recorded live, with vocal harmonies and solo guitar over-dubbed. Wright lays his Turkish delight across the bottom of the song with a brilliance that would become legend just 3 years later. This is the closest thing to a band effort we hear in Syd's solo work. And the lyrics...

Imagine being the boy genius of the London underground music scene. Imagine being just 20 years old and moving from quiet Cambridge to swinging London. Imagine your first single going to #20 on the charts. Imagine getting signed to EMI (The Beatles label) just after your 21st birthday. Imagine recording your first album at Abbey road, down the hall from where the lads were doing Pepper. Imagine your mind fragmenting and your band firing you by the end of the same year. Imagine having everyone say that you'd fried yourself into oblivion with LSD. Imagine wondering if that were really true?

Wolfpack is an unashamed collection of beautifully transcribed psychedelic visions. We've heard Syd sing trip-like lyrics in many tunes, but Wolfpack is different. He doesn't hide a thing. He brings it right to you. Wolfpack is dark, otherworldly and desperate yet somehow offered to us as emotionally charged cinéma vérité. So few words and yet we are carried deeply into these vision states.

He brings his hallucinations to life with running wolves, flying playing cards, wet mist and fog, waves crashing across the coincidental ether of his mind, transforming into an all encompassing weave of electro magnetic impulses that hovers above him as he observes it. He tells us that the milder he gazes (the less consciousness he brings to bear upon it) the more it becomes an entity of independent creation. He cannot help but follow it, away and beyond. Then suddenly, the visionary state encloses him, all the dimensions of his dexterous mind are captured by a cage of blanched bones. Though fighting, he is swept back into formation, forever.

His lead role in the cage? No escape… What do you think?

Howling the pack in formation appear
Diamonds and clubs, light misted fog, the dead
Waving us back in formation
The pack in formation

Bowling they bat as a group
And the leader is seen

So early...the pack on their backs, the fighters
Through misty the waving
The pack in formation
Far reaching waves
On sight, shone right
I lay as if in surround...

All enmeshing, hovering
The milder I gaze
All the animals laying trail
Beyond the four winds
Mild the reflecting electricity
Eyes...Tears...

The life that was ours grows sharper and stronger away and beyond
Short wheeling
Fresh spring
Gripped with blanched bones
Moaned
Magnesium, proverbs and sobs

Howling the pack in formation appear
Diamonds and clubs, light misted fog, the dead
Waving us back in formation
The pack in formation...

Kyle...you must write a book! Is this man's analysis not the most thought provoking? He truly has a beautiful and artistic way with words!!!
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

Are there any reviews form Madcap? That is my favorite of his albums.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Name a particular track and I will check my "Kyle" archives! :wink:
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

Kyle freeakin Rocks!! i esp.like what he said Of the events that happend to Syd in those forst halcyon days.. if more people would think and understand the pressure that was on Syd as a young man.. maybe they wouldnt be so judgemental of him.. brilliant!!!!!
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Yes, Kyle is da man! :lol: :wink:

Here's his review of "Here I Go," one of my all time favorite Syd tunes:

Here I Go!

‘Twas April 17, 1969. Thirty-eight years ago today! Syd’s got Willie Wilson and Jerry Shirley at Abbey Road Studio 3 with Malcolm Jones producing. After running down “No Man’s Land,” Syd loosens up the scene a bit. He sounds comfortable and at ease. This song has the Barrett stamp and it gives us so much insight. Humor, clever rhymes and domestic plans too? Can you tell us what this session was like Mr. Jones?

“He wrote it, I seem to recall, in a matter of minutes. [MJ note: Syd nearly always had his lyrics in front of him on a stand, in case of the occasional lapse of memory. This song was the only one I remember him needing no cue sheet at all.] The whole recording was done absolutely ‘live’, with no overdubs at all. Syd changed from playing rhythm to lead guitar at the very end, and the change is noticeable. (Syd, however, would change like that often. Whereas it was accepted practice to record, say, the rhythm guitar for the whole duration of the song and then to go back later and overdub the solo. To Syd this was an unnecessary procedure! He'd mix them together. That accounts for the ‘drop’ during the solo, as Syd's rhythm guitar is no longer there!).” ~ Malcolm Jones, ‘Making Madcap’

Willie Wilson was a Cambridge friend who played in the Swinging Vibros (c. 1964) and many other Cambridge bands. Of course the great Jerry Shirley was at this time working-up a little group called Humble Pie with a fella named Steve Marriott. Steve had been the voice of The Small Faces and they had a hit with a song he wrote called “Itchycoo Park.” “What did you do there? I got high! It’s all too beautiful…” Steve had some of the greatest pipes of all time. Of course in time, Peter Frampton would join the group. The fact that Syd had these guys in for sessions at Abbey Road, gives us great insight into to the relative professional level Syd was at, even at this late date in his musical career.

The Song? Oh gosh, better put it on. The shuffle, the spin, the swagger, the highly evolved sweet boy bit… “A big band is far better than you…” “She don’t Rock & Roll? She don’t like it? She don’t do the stroll? She don’t do it right?” Who needs this bird Syd? You can’t help but wonder if he had someone in mind or if the construction is just his take on the traditional blues theme of shagging little sister?

As we hear throughout Madcap, his voice has that rather flat, languid, mandrax thing going on, but at times (laugh if you will!) I hear some Sinatra-esque things going on, “What a boon this tune.” Indeed, this tune is a masterwork. How on Earth could someone advertised as being hopelessly unanchored, write and perform a song like this? Just a good day? Mr. Shirley, was Syd acting nutty during these sessions?

“Sometimes he does it just to put everybody on, sometimes he does it because he’s genuinely paranoid about what’s happening around him. He’s like the weather; he changes. For every 10 things he says that are off-the-wall and odd, he’ll say one thing that’s completely coherent and right on the ball. He’ll seem out of touch with what’s gone on just before, then he’ll suddenly turn around and say, ‘Jerry, remember the day we went to get a burger down at the Earl’s Court Road?’ - complete recall of something that happened a long time ago. Just coming and going, all the time.” ~ Jerry Shirley

(Barrett)
This is a story ‘bout a girl that I knew
She didn't like my songs
And that made me feel blue
She said: “a big band is far better than you”...

She don't Rock & Roll, she don't like it
She don't do the stroll, well she don't do it right
Well, everythings wrong and my patience was gone
When I woke one morning
And remembered this song
Kinda catchy, I hoped
That she would talk to me now
And even allow me to hold her hand
And forget that old band.

I strolled around to her pad
Her light was off and that’s bad
Her sister said that my girl was gone
“But come inside, boy, and play, play, play me a song!”
I said “Yeah! Here I go”
She's kinda cute; don’t you know,
That after a while of seeing her smile
I knew we could make it, make it in style!

So now I’ve got all I need
She and I are in love, we’ve agreed
She likes this song and my others too
So now you see my world is...
Because of this tune!
What a boon this tune!
I tell you soon
We’ll be lying in bed, happily wed,
And I won't think of that girl
Or what she said...

Lyrically, this song tells us a lot of about what’s going on in his head. Seems some girl dumped him because he lost his band. He doesn’t indulge in saying anything nasty, but “she don’t rock & roll” do she? Then he remembers “this song” one morning, and as if observing it from a sofa on the other side of the room he quips “kinda catchy.” Being an amateur musician, I laugh every time I hear that line, because he’s doing it live! No attempt to rhyme anything with “catchy.” It’s just an offhanded and delightfully detached remark. Brilliant + Strange = Barrett.

He finds her sister home and here he goes again! “Now I’ve got all I need?” Here’s our glimpse into domestic Syd. He cleverly and almost comically follows up “all I need” with a rhyming “we’ve agreed.” Finally, someone who likes his songs! “What a boon this tune.” “Lying in bed, happily wed.” It would have been an idyllic ending…

The striking thing about this track is the contrast between Syd’s dead-pan vocal delivery and the rhythm guitar work, which is just absolutely exquisite. There is almost no way to get your head around the crisp timing and perfect taste of this rhythm guitar playing. The black Telecaster for sure - no mistaking that jangly sound. His timing doesn’t wander, no missed chords, no pauses, no fumbles. Jerry Shirley keeps him locked–in just as tight as can be. Beautiful swing. You can hear the fun in their playing.

I’ve often asserted that things Syd wrote and rehearsed before his breakdown tend to sound more polished than works from ’68-’70. I believe this song is built around an existing guitar piece that Syd had written before 1967. I think he really did wake up one morning and remember the guitar bit. The melody line is strong and I think it appeared to Mr. Jones that Syd wrote it on the spot, because it just needed a theme and some lyrics, which were never a problem for Syd, were they? In Lennonspeak, he just “knocked-it-off.”

Then, right at the end, something magical happens, Syd & Jerry drop into a bluesy improvisational jam. Sounds very good to me. Syd catches a nice double-stop solo… I wonder how many bars that went on? Maybe someday we’ll know.

over
&out,

~k

Kyle...write more young man! I love your analyses!!! :wink:
HazeyJaneAgain
Embryo
Embryo

Post by HazeyJaneAgain »

All this automatic writing I have tried to understand
From a psychedelic angel who was tugging on my hand
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Kyle Hamilton! If you see this thread, please set up an account here and pm me! I have some news I need to share with you!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Who's that guy :D ?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

moom wrote:Who's that guy :D ?
He is the gentleman who has written the 4 glorious reviews I posted! I need to discuss something with him, but have no way of contacting him since the Astral Piper forum has been shut down!
Creek
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Syd Barrett, A Great Lyricist

Post by Creek »

We Must Scearch For Him, what a deep Soul.....
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re:

Post by moom »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
moom wrote:Who's that guy :D ?
He is the gentleman who has written the 4 glorious reviews I posted! I need to discuss something with him, but have no way of contacting him since the Astral Piper forum has been shut down!
Maybe e-mail :) ?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

If she had his email address then I highly doubt that the post you quoted would even exist.

This Kyle chap seems to have a knack for metaphors. Good man.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I have come across another of Kyle's reviews and song analysis and have resumed contact with him.

Vegetable Man

“Syd was around at my house just before he had to go to record and, because a song was needed, he just wrote a description of what he was wearing at the time and threw in a chorus that went 'Vegetable man -- where are you?'”

~ Peter Jenner

Please, someone, can you locate a proto-punk rock song that pre-dates Vegetable Man? Happy Hunting! Late 1967 on? I have never found anything representing pure Punk idiom that pre-dates Vegetable Man. As far as I am concerned, Syd Barrett created Punk Rock one afternoon when he needed a song for a Floyd session. In a moment of Madcap haste, Barrett founds a Rock genre.

The only analogue I can find is stylistic. This song drives on the eighth beat and Syd punctuates his melody right on the consonant syllables of his lyrics. This is a hallmark of John Lennon's writing style. Take a quick listen to, “Help” and “Being for the benefit of Mr. Kite” for a couple of examples. As usual, Syd does his own thing with this technique. He drives it right over the edge and beyond!

Cue it up >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Play

INTRO. Mr. Zippo slides an octave high then falls flat of the song's key… 8 beats, 16 sliding notes… Mason pauses then everyone pounds the 8th note. Syd croons, “In yellow shoes, I get the blues, though I walk the streets with my plastic feet.” Moving up a step his wah-wah warbles wildly, “With blue velvet trousers make me feel Pink, there's a kind of stink about blue velvet trousers.” Another frenetic step upward, the rhythm and vocal driving harder still, “In my paisley shirt, I look a jerk and my turquoise waistcoat is quite out o'sight.” Pushing the chord, “But oh, oh, my hair cut looks so bad.” The chorus echoes right off into space.

Back to the key, “So I change my gear and I find my knees (catch the high, harmonic notes he now adds on top of each chord) and I cover them up with the latest cut, and my pants and socks are bought in a box, it don't take long to find darned old socks. The watch, black watch, my watch with the black face and the date in a little hole and all the lot, its what I've got, it's what I wear, it's what you see, it must be me, it's what I am…”

Vegetable Man…

Is the break satirical or completely in earnest? Is Syd laughing at the rumor that he's flipped on acid or laughing in spite of the rumor??? You just can't tell.

“Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaaaaaa”

John Lennon would call this the “Middle 8”, but Syd stretches it to 4 measures, his Telecaster pushing the chords around with masterly disrespect.

“I've been looking all over the place for a place for me, but it ain't anywhere, it just ain't anywhere.”

An earnest admission of complete alienation? Syd mournfully traces his condition, but doesn't offer an emotional plea. Instead, he quickly pushes the song back upward and onward, morphing his vocal into a mad circus barker,

“He's the kind of guy that you've just got to see if you can, Vegetable Man.”

The tune resolves with mad, mocking, echoing laughter. As you're trying to figure out how to take him, he pulls the song from beneath your feet.

Love it!!!!!!!!

Over & Out
k