Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Would he?

Undoubtedly yes!
55%
Hardly
36%
I'm avoiding this speculation
8%

Total votes: 74

Kiru_Biru
Axe
Axe

Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

Post by Kiru_Biru »

My feeling is NO.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

This is a very difficult call since we cannot rewrite history! I have been involved in a similar debate before, and will share some of my thoughts regarding this topic....

The answer may be quite dependent on one's definition of "famous." Is that to imply immense stardom and recognition, or someone who is considered to be "well known?"

If one were to discount Syd's contributions on Piper and Saucerful, we must consider his two solo works, Madcap and Barrett. Though not particularly well received nor huge sellers at their time of release, they have continued to inspire new fans, especially since Syd's passing. Syd has, and will continue to have, a huge cult following, much in the same vein as Nick Drake (whose situation is quite similar...albums not well received or widely appreciated until after his death...analogous to Syd's fading into obscurity in the early 1970s).

I can say this. Although I am obviously a huge Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd fan, there are many people I know who are only Syd Barrett fans and not PF fans. Furthermore, it amazes me how many of them are younger people, under the age of 20.

Based on these comments, I will vote "yes," simply because I believe that Syd's solo material will continue to sell for many years to come.
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

I voted yes because I feel That if Bowie was Impressed enuff to cover See Emily Play then at least Syd's Death would have brought him to the forefront By Bowie. Wasn't Bowie a fan of Syd before Floyd's real success?
I think bowie would have been the key to keep the memory alive... IMHO :D
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

PF ? Who is this ?
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I think yes, but not to the same extent, and I can't find anywhere to vote as such on the poll. I think he would have been a Skip Spence or Roky Erikson-type character, having had far more influence than is reflected in record sales.

Then again, what am I saying? That's the way it turned out anyway.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

his legacy would be better known today if it were not for another band also named Pink Floyd confusing the record buying public

Syds Floyd was the It band for hipsters in swinging London, and their 1st album was a very big deal at that time
his influence has been cited by many creative, experimental musicians ever since, Bowie being only the most famous
Soft Machine, Gong and all that gang owe a huge debt to Syd and acknowledge it
1970s punk bands who hated the mainstream stadium band also called Pink Floyd claimed Syd as an influence: Nick got a production gig out of it cuz Syd was not available
periodic psych-revivals since the early 80s consistently introduce new generations to Syds legend and legacy

I think his former bands subsequent success has obscured the accomplishments of their former frontman
and more latterday music fans would know who he was and what he did if his career had not been reduced to a few clever lyrics in Shine On
so many people, when his name comes up in conversation, immediately respond "what was that dudes problem" instead of "what record should I check out to hear what Syd sounded like"
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Yes, but not as much as he is now. But een that much would be a lot, because he still influences a lot of people (incl me) as a solo artist :)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Would Roger Waters or David Gilmour be remembered if Pink Floyd didn't make a success? :?
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

I think that Syd became known to those of later generations because Pink Floyd through their album WYWH continued being a constant remainder of 'the crazy diamond'. Otherwise there would be a much smaller audience because he made himself completely invisible in the mid 70 ies.
Hudini, if bands weren't sucessful nobody would remember their members later on unless they could manage to make a solo career.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

alma wrote:if bands weren't sucessful nobody would remember their members later on unless they could manage to make a solo career.
That's exactly what I was talking about.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Syd is a cult hero so I think he would still be a cult hero if the Floyd had stopped when he left music.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Keith Jordan wrote:Syd is a cult hero so I think he would still be a cult hero if the Floyd had stopped when he left music.
That's true, but he wouldn't be a cult hero if The Piper or the singles with him in Pink Floyd hadn't been successful, right?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps I misunderstood the question, but Piper was pretty much Syd's album. The others were just musicians! 8)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

The point is it was a successful album either way. I look at it as a Syd's album too but it's labeled Pink Floyd. :)
davidsss
Axe
Axe

Post by davidsss »

I think you can also ask the opposite question - Would Pink Floyd have been successful if they never had Syd in the band? Take away the early success of Syd's Floyd, take away PATGOD and some of SOS, take away the noteriety they got from Syd leaving, take away all of the Syd influences and his writing, start with a 4 piece Floyd with David Gilmour on guitar, would they have been successful? I'm sorry but I think not, I'm not even sure they would have got a recording contract without the buzz that came from the gigs they did in '67 with Syd.

DS