Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Would he?

Undoubtedly yes!
55%
Hardly
36%
I'm avoiding this speculation
8%

Total votes: 74

David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Re: Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

Post by David Smith »

Metal Mickey wrote:Oh yes, by the time Syd Barrett was your age he had legions of fans
For the record i think he's still only 17 so he's still got a few years below Syd yet

Anyway, gotta say i love The Madcap Laughs. I would agree it is certainly a record that relies mostly on the emotion it can produce. My favourite tracks would have to be Dark Globe, Feel and Late Night which i would put as the strongest material to come from any of the floyd members in their solo careers. The second album Barret i was less keen on, although in saying that i did love the more relaxed first half of the album with Love Song being a personal favourite

If they really were just a spastic trying to play guitar though then i reckon that makes them interesting on the level of being an interesting articulation of a frazzled state of mind any way. I would say the reason they do stand up in places is because you can hear Barret's torment in places and that helps to give them a sincere edge as if he really is lifting his skull for us to explore what's going on in there. Think for this reason alone Madcap Laughs is easily the most moving out of the floyd solo album back catelogue (although this description really does not do it justice)

For ages i just failed to see his career as being anything substancial, then i read the Syd biography Crazy Diamond (which i would recommend to anyone interested in reading about Syd) and in my next listens the material really came to life with a bit of knowledge of the context surrounding them

Could see why a lot of people would dismiss the albums though and i couldn't have seen Syd sell enough copies to really be remembered by more than a small group of fans he could have attracted at the time. Problem is by not touring his material then i couldn't have seen it reaching a wide audience at all :?

Anyway, off topic here Alan. Could you explain your remark of Barret as a semi talented "poet"?
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

not this fucking religious figure some retards here pretend to have a connection with or whatever.
I do not see him as a religious figure - I see him as an incredinbly intense character (no doubt flawed) who through talent (in your opinion lack of talent) got others to share part of the intense feeling (I do think there are comparisons with Van Gogh). If you can't share in the inensity (like many can't with Van Gogh) poor you - you're the one missing out - not that you care cbecause you don't know better because you can't feel it :wink:

I'm also sure I'm missing out a lot of what you get from music with my lack of classical training.

I think he would always be an underground figure - maybe like Tom Waits - but still more successful than many acts
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

...and dude, I couldn't help noticing you're like radiating some totally harsh vibes, and it's freakin' everyone out and bringin' us down, man. Why don't you go like smell some flowers, commune with your spirit guide and mellow out for a while, man.

ha ha ha ha ha ha - bloody beautiful - I am absolutely cacking myself laughing. My breakfast - take a chill pill will ya - throwing abuse at people is not going to weigh well on your side of the argument. If you want to get a point across, you need to be a little more articulate with your ideas. You claim to be a great musician with fabulous technical skills, but you are not going to win yourself any admirers or fans with a prick of an attitude.

I am sure that one of your dreams is to put your musical talent to use and hopefully one day become a credible artist with some sort of recognition. You are not doing yourself any sort of favour by flaming other artists the way you do and also flaming people that admire such an artist. We are not trying to convince you to like Syd Barrett, we know quite comprehensively how you feel about him, but there are better ways to state your point without ripping shreds off him and people that admire him.

Maybe once your pubic hairs are fully grown you may have a better understanding and respect for various artists and how they interpret their art (eg. music).
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

kingfisher_flashing wrote: You are not doing yourself any sort of favour by flaming other artists the way you do and also flaming people that admire such an artist.
I love that song!! :)

[/quote] Maybe once your pubic hairs are fully grown you may have a better understanding and respect for various artists and how they interpret their art (eg. music).[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: 'Nuff said there, Jean-Gina!! Luvs it!! :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Syd was a genius, that's how it came to be possible ;)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

moom wrote:Syd was a genius, that's how it came to be possible ;)
Doesn't answer the question though, a lot of geniuses probably go unnoticed (for obvious reasons i can't provide an answer)

Also don't you think the word 'genius' is a bit of an exaggeration? He wrote some good songs, but that's it. He didn't exactly change the world or anything like that or help advance human understanding
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

I like to reserve the word genius to people that make medical breakthroughs or invent a cure for a debilitating illness etc.

Syd to me was a wonderful talent gone way too soon who has left a lasting imprint on me personally.

That's all.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

kingfisher_flashing wrote:I like to reserve the word genius to people that make medical breakthroughs or invent a cure for a debilitating illness etc.

Syd to me was a wonderful talent gone way too soon who has left a lasting imprint on me personally.

That's all.
i agree wholeheartedly - especially your second statement 8)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

David Smith wrote:
moom wrote:Syd was a genius, that's how it came to be possible ;)
Doesn't answer the question though, a lot of geniuses probably go unnoticed (for obvious reasons i can't provide an answer)

Also don't you think the word 'genius' is a bit of an exaggeration? He wrote some good songs, but that's it. He didn't exactly change the world or anything like that or help advance human understanding
1. That was an answer to GG's comment. I can tell you those reasons - lack of luck, evil record labels, or bad music (some THINK they're geniuses).
2. I don't see it that way. It's just that, being a musician myself, I just feel a genius. At least, Syd is one to me personally. And, well, if he was popular - and still has a lot of impact, a cult following, - then he indeed did something massively very important to this world.
sydsfloyd
Embryo
Embryo
Location: All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Post by sydsfloyd »

I voted yes because i am a fan of Syds music. :shock: :shock: :shock:

However, when Syd was mentioned it was always as a founding member of supergroup PINK FLOYD so i dont think he would be as widely known had it not been for the success of Floyd.
johngordon
Embryo
Embryo

Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

Post by johngordon »

Only just seen this thread.

No real way of course of knowing answers for that.....but in my opinion, I believe that true artistes will express themselves one way or another.

Just as Pink Floyd wasn't Syd's first vehicle of expression .... if that had taken a different directioon so would Syd.

Same for Dave Gilmour. It was clear from Dave's earlier local success in Joker's Wild that he was going to make his mark in the music world. It's been only a matter of time and the route to individual success via Pink Floyd was his chosen option, that's all.

As for being remembered ... I believe so. What you are rememberd for, though is determined by waht you do. Actions leave traces.

John Gordon
dominoes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by dominoes »

My answer to this is
"Would Pink Floyd Achieved Success if Syd Barret Hadn't STARTED THEM OFF????
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

^ of course, they had Gilmour.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

dominoes wrote:My answer to this is
"Would Pink Floyd Achieved Success if Syd Barret Hadn't STARTED THEM OFF????
No.
psychocandy
Axe
Axe

Post by psychocandy »

Of course he would be remembered, but he would be even more cult figure.