Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Would he?

Undoubtedly yes!
55%
Hardly
36%
I'm avoiding this speculation
8%

Total votes: 74

GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Would Syd be remembered if PF hadn't achieved success?

Post by GilmourGirl »

kingfisher_flashing wrote:
dominoes wrote:My answer to this is
"Would Pink Floyd Achieved Success if Syd Barret Hadn't STARTED THEM OFF????
No.
If Gilmour and the guys had still met up minus Barrett they would have still been successful. There's too much talent there for them NOT to have been! We just have the added bonus of Syd Barrett music also, but yes they would have definitely been successful, they were after Barrett left, huh?

Never doubt the talent of Waters and the G!!!! :smt055
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

GilmourGirl wrote:
kingfisher_flashing wrote: No.
If Gilmour and the guys had still met up minus Barrett they would have still been successful. There's too much talent there for them NOT to have been! We just have the added bonus of Syd Barrett music also, but yes they would have definitely been successful, they were after Barrett left, huh?

Never doubt the talent of Waters and the G!!!! :smt055
Roger himself said they never could have happened without Syd...or gone on with him (considering what happened to him.) Roger couldn't write all that great in those days and what he did write was patterned after the groundwork Syd had established. Roger came into his own LATER and without Syd that LATER may never have had an opportunity to come into play. Even with Dave they may have remained what they started out as...an R&B cover band.

lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

syd would be much bigger than he is today
if PF had simply disbanded

P F foot print is so large that syd becomes over shadowed

syd music is pure and original
glam and punk was to a point born from syd

syd solo work suffers from lack of studio time and DG being so busy with so much..

if you play for example 2nd half of silas lang
you can here almost the exact same same arragnement
as some more songs !!!

in after yrs DG SHOULD have gone back and fixed his poor work

i can >> in only my head >> call up and play baby lemonade
that is how great syd is
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

You're basically saying Piper is enough to be remembered forever. Hmm, true, - to some extent.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

moom wrote:You're basically saying Piper is enough to be remembered forever. Hmm, true, - to some extent.
to some extent ???

>>>>>>>
Lime and limpid green, a second scene
A fight between the blue you once knew.
Floating down, the sound resounds
Around the icy waters underground.
Jupiter and Saturn, Oberon, Miranda
And Titania, Neptune, Titan.
Stars can frighten.

Blinding signs flap,
Flicker, flicker, flicker blam. Pow, pow.
Stairway scare Dan Dare who's there?
Lime and limpid green
The sounds surrounds the icy waters underground
Lime and limpid green
The sounds surrounds the icy waters underground.

>>>

as much as i love roger
[[ nothing compares to you by sinead comes on the radio }}}

no one ever wrote such lovely songs like syd

syd=love
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

Roger himself said they never could have happened without Syd...or gone on with him (considering what happened to him.) Roger couldn't write all that great in those days and what he did write was patterned after the groundwork Syd had established. Roger came into his own LATER and without Syd that LATER may never have had an opportunity to come into play. Even with Dave they may have remained what they started out as...an R&B cover band.
I agree. RW and DG are brilliant in their own right, but it was Syd's innovativeness and creativity that got the ball rolling for Pink Floyd. David was invited in to the band, not the catalyst of the band. Roger's inspiration was as a result of the fact that Syd Barrett walked on this earth. Dave is a great guitarist but his songwriting skills were not predominant until later on and even then he had assistance. Syd left the legacy that Pink Floyd needed to go on, and they did very nicely after that thank you very much.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I'm sorry, Lostplay, I was wrong. What I meant to say, if Piper was Floyd's only great album or only album ever, Syd's name wouldn't be remembered as much as it is now, because it's often associated with the name of Pink Floyd. Less PF fame - less Syd's fame. Yes, he would be remembered a lot, really lot, but still not as much as the Pink Floyd name.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

moom wrote:I'm sorry, Lostplay, I was wrong. What I meant to say, if Piper was Floyd's only great album or only album ever, Syd's name wouldn't be remembered as much as it is now, because it's often associated with the name of Pink Floyd. Less PF fame - less Syd's fame. Yes, he would be remembered a lot, really lot, but still not as much as the Pink Floyd name.

syd would be more
not less
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

lostplay wrote:
moom wrote:I'm sorry, Lostplay, I was wrong. What I meant to say, if Piper was Floyd's only great album or only album ever, Syd's name wouldn't be remembered as much as it is now, because it's often associated with the name of Pink Floyd. Less PF fame - less Syd's fame. Yes, he would be remembered a lot, really lot, but still not as much as the Pink Floyd name.

syd would be more
not less
syd would be remembered in the same way that nick drake and eva cassidy are remembered - as posthumous greats of the musical world 8)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

oz1701 wrote:
lostplay wrote:
syd would be more
not less
syd would be remembered in the same way that nick drake and eva cassidy are remembered - as posthumous greats of the musical world 8)
Or by Fluke?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

lostplay wrote:

syd would be more
not less
:? I rather agree with Oz. Syd would be remembered neither more, nor less.

Of course, if PF only had Piper as a great well-known album, then Syd would be remembered more than the rest of them, but I'm not comparing their fames, I'm only speaking about Syd's own fame.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

So the answer is YES.
Let's face it....people still remember the 1910 fruitgum company.

maybe not everyone
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by bpmolder »

moom wrote:Of course, if PF only had Piper as a great well-known album, then Syd would be remembered more than the rest of them, but I'm not comparing their fames, I'm only speaking about Syd's own fame.
Much to my own chagrin, I have to agree with this statement. Syd, being the front man and the creative force behind the group, would be more widely known than the rest of the group, since most people automatically identify with a group's front man. There was plenty of press from 1965 to 1967 to firmly plant the fact in peoples' minds that Syd was the leader of the group, the creative genius, etc.

He would definitely be more famous than Gilmour, who could have ended up not breaking into music at all. Then again, he could have tried being a solo artist and flopped in his debut, mainly due to the inability to come up with decent material for songs. Who knows? There are endless possibilities there, an infinite number of things that could have happened had they only released the one album.

However, if you remove the rest of their works from the picture, the world would never know DSOTM, or Animals, or The Wall and I honestly think that as a result it wouldn't be the same.