Pink Floyd Reunited- May 10, 2007

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Pink Floyd Reunited- May 10, 2007

Post by mhspiper »

As you may or may not have heard, three man Floyd reunited tonight to play "Arnold Layne" at a Syd tribute gig. Here is really poor quality video of it (I hope to find better soon):
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QOhWYVbZ8OU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QOhWYVbZ8OU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

Who are the three? im sure i hear Rick singing, so who's missing?

Why do i feel so shocked on hearing about this? having i been living under a rock or has this not been widely advertised?
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

This wasn't advertised at all. It just kinda happened at a Syd Barrett tribute gig. The only person missing is Roger (and, of course, Syd). Don't feel bad about not knowing. Most people don't yet. It just happened a few hours ago.
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

i feel some sort of impending unease, as if this were some sort of apocalyptic catalyst bringing floyd into the future.... then again, it is only rather surprising, hah.

What exactly was this tribute gig in the first place? like who/what were the audience actually expecting? Im a little discombobulated here, but is it just me or is this a big deal, or not?

It is, nevertheless very exciting!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Im really glad Roger remembered how to play a song he wrote since 1983
but why didnt he join his three chums on stage for Arnold Layne?
would lawyers have had to get involved and it woulda got all complicated?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

This gig at the Barbican has been advertised for months. The guest line up and purported appearances from Robyn Hitchcock, Joe Boyd, etc. made this evening hard to ignore. I was absolutely thrilled to hear that all 4 members of the Floyd attended. I had a premonition that this would happen, and it did. I so regret that I didn't spend the money to go. I had an awesomely positioned ticket and sold it. Where is the noose? Geez! What an event to have missed!
Saint Seiya
Blade
Blade

Post by Saint Seiya »

i wonder if them not playing together is a good or bad thing.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Saint Seiya wrote:i wonder if them not playing together is a good or bad thing.
LOL, good point, its probably just the video quality tho, Im sure the atmosphere would have been incredible!
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

J Ed wrote:Im really glad Roger remembered how to play a song he wrote since 1983
but why didnt he join his three chums on stage for Arnold Layne?
It does seem a bit disappointing, but then Rog is about to do two shows in Earl's Court, Syd and Dave's old neighbourhood. Perhaps he didn't want to raise hopes too high for those... :?:
towg

Post by towg »

Roger was there but didnt play with the other Floyds. He played "Flickering Flame' solo earlier in the set.

He didnt join in for the big singalong at the finale either.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

...And there goes the reunion story...
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

It's really, really odd though that they didn't do it since they were all there and they seem to be getting along halfway decently. Either they want Live-8 to be the official end, or they hopefully don't want to spoil something bigger planned at either Roger's show tomorrow or Live Earth (though I'm very doubtful of that). They probably are just satisfied with Live-8....
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

They have probably figured out that the people would not consider them serious if they would do a reunion every now and then and played a couple of songs and that had been it. I'm still hoping they hold a surprise for us all, in a form of a four hour farewell show.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

That's true, and actually I think since it would have been a surprise tonight they wouldn't have been able to do a proper sound check and wouldn't want to do it less than perfect. If they'd been preparing a soundcheck beforehand then word would have gotten out and it would have been a madhouse. I think they would announce any kind of reunion at least somewhat ahead of time like they did with Live-8, so they are able to properly set it all up without sneaking around.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I'd say they would have to announce the reunion at least six months ahead so that they could do it peacefully and the way it has to be done. There's always euphoria in the first few weeks after such announcements, and that wouldn't do any good.