Barrett's Will Revealed

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
momentaryhawking

Barrett's Will Revealed

Post by momentaryhawking »

Machina
Blade
Blade

Re: Barrett's Will Revealed

Post by Machina »

3.3 million :shock: fkin hell that's not bad for a couple of years work and one album.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

Well, 3 actually. Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Madcap Laughs (Solo) and Barrett (Solo). Then you have compilations such as Opel and Wouldn't You Miss Me, released later. Then you have to consider Album compilations that Post Syd Floyd had released, using Syd's songs as part of the compilations. Then you have to consider Post Floyd singing Syd's songs such as Astronomy Domine in their concerts. So 3.3 mil dollars for a man who did not live an excessive life quite adequate. Post Syd Floyd are worth around 100 mil pounds or thereabouts aren't they?
DBlaze
Knife
Knife

Post by DBlaze »

wouldn't he have also gotten some cash from Saucerful considering that he wrote Jugband Blues?

Still, 3.3 million :shock:
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I actually think that its a surprisingly small amount considering what todays so called "celebrities" appear to earn despite having no discernable talent.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

Stephen wrote:I actually think that its a surprisingly small amount considering what todays so called "celebrities" appear to earn despite having no discernable talent.
:smt038 :smt038
theman4455245
Blade
Blade
Location: The Only Place You Can't Show Breasts On Television

Post by theman4455245 »

Stephen wrote:I actually think that its a surprisingly small amount considering what todays so called "celebrities" appear to earn despite having no discernable talent.
If there were a reward for "Truest, most agreed statement" you'd win with this post. What's Mrs. Spears worth, 500 mil? :lol: Not even worth a nickel if you ask me. (But, alas, noone did or will.) :lol:
dale74
Axe
Axe

Post by dale74 »

To me it is a small amount, for an icon that is...but not bad for someone out of the public eye for some decades.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Hey, if I only worked a few years out of my life and spent the remainder doing what I truly enjoy, and still amassed over $3 million, I would say life is good!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

$3 million was more than enough for Syd's lifestyle. Britney Spears, on the other hand, probably spends that on cosmetics in a month.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

After her cosmetics, hair extensions, partying, rehab, etc., you are probably correct! :lol: What a waste!

It seriously wouldn't have mattered if Syd had amassed a fortune over $100 million. It would not have altered the way he lived his life one iota.
dale74
Axe
Axe

Post by dale74 »

The fact that Britney Spears is trash alone is enough for her to waste a lot of money.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

But 3.3 million considering he hasn't recorded any new material since 1970 is still quite a bit
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I suppose unusually for an artist who didn't record much after the early 1970s, his music has continued to sell. I'm sure Piper is still being selling. Then, the inclusion of his music on various Pink Floyd compilations (especially Echoes) would be a good source of royalties. He'd surely have gotten royalties from the various covers of his songs as well - David Gilmour's DVD, the David Bowie cover etc.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Absolutely. Syd did receive handsome royalties from both Relics and Echoes. The release of "Wouldn't You Miss Me" in 2001 and no doubt the upcoming 40th anniversary re-issue of Piper will also pay handsomely as well. I'm not certain exactly what happens with royalties after the artist is deceased though...