Syd Radio show

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Syd Radio show

Post by drafsack »

Syd tribute on BBC radio 2 saturday 21st July 8.00. You should be able to listen online or listen again for upto a week
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Syd Radio show

Post by Syd'sSexy »

This is the same program(me) that was originally scheduled for the 14th of July and was rescheduled, isn't it?
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Thanks for the reminder Nick, although I think I've heard/read enough Pink Floyd related interviews etc etc to last me a lifetime :)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I listened to it. As you might expect, there was little new stuff in there. They interviewed Syd's sister Rosemary who had a few interesting insights, even though it's clear that she wasn't going to dish any dirt. Stuff that was new to me: In the mid 70s when Syd was in London, he was lonely so he came back to Cambridge :( Also, there was about 10 years of turmoil (her words) but he settled back down again. When their mother died, Rosemary became responsible for him and had to bring structure into his life e.g. getting up in the morning. She reckons he was quite content and that's what she wanted for her brother.

Oddly, Roger Waters was nowhere to be heard, though there were interviews with David Rick and Nick. According to David, when he and Syd were in France, they visited the Louvre. Syd was like an encyclopedia as they went around looking at the paintings. Peter Jenner was also on. I was surprised to learn he doesn't particularly care for Syd's two solo albums.

The program makers didn't try to eplain what happened to Syd. My guess is that the jury will be out forever on that.
shergar
Embryo
Embryo

Post by shergar »

I'm glad BBC Radio broadcast this - it keeps Syds legacy burning brightly.

The one thing stuck in my mind was when Rosemary mentioned she realized Syd was not well when she saw a huge 7 foot canvas he'd done and it was completely black apart from a tiny little red square (an inch I think she said) down in the corner of the painting. Syd could have called this painting Black Humour or something but it sounder like it really hit his sister hard when she saw that.