Gothic Metal (not a necessary or even logical label, actually!)

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Eclipse

Re: Gothic Metal

Post by Eclipse »

oz1701 wrote:i've tried Nightwish and i am afraid i just feel its a terrible waste of a great voice.

Tobias Samiet is pretty good though im not sure you could classify Aventasia as gothic metal

Tarja indeed has an amazing voice! I also love the way she is live, and no i'm not in love with her or whatever :lol:

Geez i liked that band so much until a couple of months ago, but they didn't last long. I think Tristania is the strongest representative of the genre, as they have much more complex and amusing music, they don't have so many hooks but many of those songs are work of genius! :o
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Evanescence?

See? Told ya it's a bad idea. :)

(If you're wondering why I'm resurrecting this over-a-decade old thread, it's because I got a notification that I had been quoted in it recently. This appears to not be the case.

Hey, Boss! There appears to be a glitch in the matrix. Maybe we can exploit it and use it to install a cobalt options? :D )
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

mosespa wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:48 am (If you're wondering why I'm resurrecting this over-a-decade old thread, it's because I got a notification that I had been quoted in it recently. This appears to not be the case.
Well that does not sound good. Can you forward the email to me? npfadmin at the neptune pink floyd dot co dot uk
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

hey mosespa and Keith, I guess i can help with this!

I was searching for old threads in my spare time yesterday, or earlier this week, don't remember exactly when, and then i came across this thread.
I was reading it again, and then I did edit one of my posts (if you see in the first page, there's a recently edited post by myself), in which i had written a strong musical opinion about one of those bands that, nowadays, i disagree with.
I'm pretty sure that post was quoting mosespa, so that may be the source of the bug.
Perhaps, i'm not sure, but *perhaps*, there's a bug that, when someone edits a post that's quoting someone else, that "else" person will receive a notification as if he/she is being quoted again.

Can you see at your notifications history the time/day you got the notification, mosespa? This way we can see if it matches the time/day I edited my post.

Edit: this is the time/day I had edited my post in the first page that quotes mosespa:
"Last edited by Eclipse on 16 Mar 2021 19:38, edited 1 time in total. "

Cheers!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That's good that it wasn't a glitch.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Thank you for unintentionally reviving this thread - it's a hoot!

I have to agree with Mo on just about everything here.

I think "rock" and "rock and roll" are stupid terms, but they really don't describe or restrict the music. If you decide to form a "gothic metal" band, you've already narrowed down what it sounds like and what the themes are, and if there already enough groups with same sound and writing style to warrant a label...abort! Do something else.
Eclipse

Re: Gothic Metal (not a necessary or even logical label, actually!)

Post by Eclipse »

yes, i agree with you in respect to the genre-label thing.
That thread is over a decade-old, and while I still love a lot of those bands, I nowadays think that label actually does not fit them, and in reality labels are really unnecessary and not logical.
Actually, those kind of labels only help to grow some stereotypical judging of an artist/band, feeding preconceived notions on people and discouraging them from discovering of their works.
A lot of bands change their sound over the course of their discography, so it is actually even non-sense to label them into a specific genre.

Actually we see a lot of those preconceived and superficial sayings in a lot of posts (which try to sound intellectual, but in essence are pretty shallow and empty in logic, with all due respect to the poster - yes Mos, I'm looking at you!) in the first page of this thread actually. But since this is over one decade ago, I'm pretty sure some of those line of thoughts have matured as well.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Keith Jordan wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:31 pm That's good that it wasn't a glitch.
You're welcome.

Still it is a glitch, though not a serious one that would compromise the forum usability, fortunately.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Eclipse wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 pm

Edit: this is the time/day I had edited my post in the first page that quotes mosespa:
"Last edited by Eclipse on 16 Mar 2021 19:38, edited 1 time in total. "

Cheers!
That lines up!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Eclipse wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:28 pm Actually we see a lot of those preconceived and superficial sayings in a lot of posts (which try to sound intellectual, but in essence are pretty shallow and empty in logic, with all due respect to the poster - yes Mos, I'm looking at you!) in the first page of this thread actually. But since this is over one decade ago, I'm pretty sure some of those line of thoughts have matured as well.
I'd still rather listen to Culture Club. *shrug*

I'm still not even sure what kind of music "Gothic Metal" actually is. Some 17 years ago, I composed a piece (I say that only because I still haven't written lyrics for it, yet,) that was my interpretation of what I thought that genre would sound like. I don't know how close I got or didn't get because I still haven't actively listened to any of the bands mentioned here, largely because (Tool and maybe Iron Maiden set aside,) I just don't care for Metal on the whole. For the record, part of the reason I have a certain apathy towards bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath is because they're routinely considered to be "Metal" and that's just not my cup of tea.

Not everything is for everyone; nor should it be.

Is that maturity?
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

There's an independent artist my mum got me onto named Darkher who I think perfectly fits the description here. She's only released one album and one EP so far to my knowledge, but what I've heard is actually pretty solid stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9naPZ-l ... roductions
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Gave the above a listen and liked it a lot better when the singing began!

I kinda feel like I should mention here that saying "I'd rather listen to Culture Club" isn't a backhanded diss at them; I legitimately like the music that Culture Club made.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

mosespa wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:13 pm Gave the above a listen and liked it a lot better when the singing began!
Feel much the same. Her voice really helps with the sort of moody atmosphere the album rolls with. It's funny though, because my mum sent me the last track on the album ("Lament") because she thought it sounded like what would happen if Pink Floyd went goth. I wasn't quite sure I saw the connection, but I appreciated the track nonetheless.
mosespa wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:13 pm I kinda feel like I should mention here that saying "I'd rather listen to Culture Club" isn't a backhanded diss at them; I legitimately like the music that Culture Club made.
Honestly if you hadn't clarified I'd have seen it as backhanded, but that's just because I'm not too keen on Culture Club personally :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:48 pm Honestly if you hadn't clarified I'd have seen it as backhanded, but that's just because I'm not too keen on Culture Club personally :lol:
I honestly picked them because I knew that they weren't immensely popular or well thought of. I could just have easily (and truthfully,) said "A Flock Of Seagulls."
Syth
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Syth »

A track from the new Haiduk album Diabolica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9rWWZi7l0